View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:20 PM

Exclamation Re: I have a serious question, somebody help ! Brace or without Brace ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibunny View Post
Hi, I will move this thread to the Nonsurgical room for you

Some types of spinal deformities sometimes do run in families (Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis does so more often than other types) but not every case does. Scheuermann's Kyphosis can be diagnosed from an x-ray, yes - the wedge-shaped vertebrae causing the spine to arch can be seen on a lateral film. Otherwise you can tell whether a curve is purely postural or not by seeing if you can completely remove the kyphosis by forcing yourself to stand up as straight as you can. For those of us with structural curves, it isn't possible to completely straighten our spines.

I think it is very unlikely that you still have spinal growth remaining at 20, although some males may still have a little growth remaining at this age. In your position I would try exercises rather than a brace. Even structural curves have a small postural element to them so it's often possible to get a bit of correction with targetted exercises.

In order to get a good brace you would need to get one prescribed for you by a doctor and have it fitted by an orthotist, and this can be very expensive. Be wary if you do get a brace as there are a lot of untested designs around. Some braces will give an encouraging in-brace correction but there is no guarantee that the spine will remain corrected once you stop wearing it.
Thanks Toni, your knowledge has really helped me. I believe I got postural kyphosis since I can really manage to straighten my spine by forcing myself to stay as straight as I can. But I'm not 100% sure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
Hi there

I don't really add anything to add to Toni's excellent advice but I jut wanted to welcome you to the site

Thanks Gilly !!