View Single Post
Old 15th January 2014, 12:23 PM
OrangeL

Default Re: Straight Spine - Getting a Diagnosis and Assistance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyG View Post
I hope you can get some help from the chiropractor, or maybe you could try the Alexander Technique, that's supposed to be excellent for general posture and alignment.
Yes indeed, the Alexander Technique will definitely help you I used to have forward head posture and not enough curve in my lower back. I went to a chiropractor and that didn't help...but AT did The problem with chiropractors is that they will 'adjust' the spine and neck temporarily but if you don't address the muscular problems that are pulling your spine out of alignment, it will always go back to the way it was before. Alexander Technique will teach you to be aware of where you hold tension in your body so you can learn to let go of this tension and bring your body back into a better alignment. I found out that I was pushing my hips forward and tucking my pelvis under (a common fault) and it was this that was causing my back to be too 'flat'. And that meant that I was lifting my ribcage and leaning back...which meant my head had to go forward to compensate! I see so many people who have this posture - it is almost becoming the 'norm' so people can't see there is a problem.

When I learnt to relax my hips back to where they should be, I got my lumbar curve back. And then stopped pulling my ribcage up and pushing my head forward...you cannot correct one bit in isolation, it all has to work together. So you can change your posture but it isn't a quick or easy process...your body always wants to go back to old habits so it does take a lot of perseverance to stick at it. Definitely worth it though