View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2013, 03:45 AM
Blue

Default Re: Randomized study on bracing shows effectiveness

I received a response back from Dr. Morningstar. The research is interesting, but not in a peer-reviewed journal (and not yet posted online in the journal it's in).

I wonder if the team in Italy has any thoughts about it. You vetted them through Dr. Mehta, so I could filter things through them and have them vetted-once-removed

The suit is interesting. It really is a fabric - I think the same stuff they use for those stretchy tablet cases - and it anchors around the thigh. Because it's anchored around the thigh, you have to be standing/moving around for it to work. Hence the reason why the wear is so limited. I'm not sure that people *aren't* wearing it longer than for a few hours - but it's only their active hours that count.

He did a retrospective study on two groups of patients in his (CLEAR, I suppose) clinic - one a group of teens and one adults (although it sounded like it was just adults with degenerative scoliosis and not adults who'd previously been diagnosed with AIS). Overall, both groups showed stabilization/improvement, with the amount related to the type of curve. Some curves (like thoracolumbar) showed more than a 10 degree improvement in both groups while others (like double-major) showed minimal improvement.

This has all kinds of disclaimers, like who did the measuring, how, would an independent person see the same changes, etc. etc. A personal journal isn't a ton better than a blog post. But it's interesting enough that I'd at least like to talk to him and see what else I can find out. Or see what someone else I respect knows about it. I'll let you know if I find out anything more.