View Single Post
Old 20th September 2013, 07:36 PM
Blue

Default Re: Randomized study on bracing shows effectiveness

I can't imagine what it's like to convince a kid to wear a brace - mine was never asked to. I could hardly get him to brush his teeth

But it's good to see some light at the end of that tunnel for kids who are trying to brace.

Looking at the numbers, it still seems like there's a bunch of over-bracing. Almost half of the non-braced group didn't progress to surgical range, so, presumably, half of the braced kids wouldn't have progressed either even if they hadn't worn the brace. Hopefully they can figure out how to better identify the kids who will benefit from bracing.

One thing I didn't love about this study is that they only had one end point - either the kid hit 50 degrees or they didn't. That's not really the only important question. A kid who's braced at 35 degrees and doesn't advance at all is very different from a kid who's braced at 35 degrees and advances to 49 degrees. I wish they'd gathered (or published) that data, since they will never be able to repeat this experiment (because they won't be allowed to have a non-braced control group). That's really unfortunate.