View Single Post
Old 9th February 2011, 06:17 PM

Thumbs up Re: Your First Experience of Hospital

This was my sons first experience of hospital, and mine apart from childbirth of course lol

We were met by the whole team on surgery day, it seemed to take forever but within less than an hour they took him away for his pre med.

Post surgery : he was in icu for a couple of days and then in a side room (opposite nurses station) for 5 days and onto 2 days in a main ward. I think he was the only patient in the ward under 50.

Anyways, the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh is first class. I was allowed to be around for most of the day (i travelled a round trip of 4+ hours every day) and was made so welcome.

Everything that he needed, post op meds, anti sick, hygiene care, ice packs, were all automatically given and when he needed anything, he only had to press the all important orange button for nurse assist. He took a bad reaction to morphine and ketamine and they eventually found a drug that worked efficiently. He was quite poorly for a wee while with catheter, oxy, drainage bag, saline and antibiotic drips. It took a few days before he could get physically moved but when he got clear of his tubes and bags, they got him to roll side to side and then the physios got him up sitting and walking gently and confidently in the next days. They all seemed to be in good humour which helped distract him. He was in a lot of pain after making movements but that settled down too.

He was really happy to see Mr Garrido on his daily visits, telling him how he was feeling and Mr G always told him what was going to happen next. Mr G, anaesthetist and pain management nurse included me in these discussions. I asked and wrote down a lot of questions which they were happy to answer prior to discharge day.

I dont think anyone would have received better care if they had gone private… our NHS service is outstanding, god bless all the wonderful people who work there