View Single Post
Old 18th February 2009, 06:33 PM
RedL

Thumbs up Re: Your First Experience of Hospital

My main advice would be, like everyone elses, to make sure you ask lots of questions. If you're not sure about anything, or want to know something then don't be afraid to ask. Even if you think it's a stupid question then ask it anyway, the nurses won't laugh (hopefully).
I was given a pre-operation test and i wasn't expecting all the tests i had to have done, tests such as;
Blood tests- obviously
ECG
Medical photography- which i hated
Neurophysiology
Lung Function
MRSA swobs

Not all hospital's may offer pre-operation tests, but be ware of some of the tests you may have to have done.
Also if you're in pain throughout the night, don't be afraid to ask for more pain killers, I usually needed mine at about 4am every morning. I used to not want to press the buzzer because i thought that i would come across as a pain and always wanting attention.
So for the first couple of days i put up with the pain which was a bad descision because when i woke up the next morning i would feel even more stiff. Finally my mum went to ask for some more, and i ended up getting told off by the nurses for not telling them i was in pain. So always make sure you tell someone if your in pain.