Scoliosis Support

Scoliosis Support (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/index.php)
-   Kyphosis, Lordosis and Flatback Room (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/showthread.php?t=17745)

bigdrummeboy 14th March 2014 07:44 PM

6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away

Can anybody chime in on what this is and how to fix it?

I feel like my muscles surrounding my upper spine that spread to my lats are just so damn tight. They almost hurt when somebody touches them but feels so good at the same time when they get massaged.

Lately the muscle pain has been so bad i'm having a hard time sleeping. What can help this? Heat therapy? Electric stimulus therapy? Deep tissue massages? Yoga? Anything? They hurt so bad.

Thank you
Mike

GillyG 14th March 2014 07:52 PM

Re: 6 months post-op and my muscle soreness has not gone away

If the problem is muscular then I would advise trying those wheatbags which you heat up in a microwave. I swear by them for my aches and pains :)

KMaxwell 17th March 2014 06:08 PM

Mike,

Have you stared physical therapy yet?

-Kay

bigdrummeboy 17th March 2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMaxwell (Post 269448)
Mike,

Have you stared physical therapy yet?

-Kay

Yea i did physical therapy for 8 weeks but only 1 day a week. I'm already in the gym 4 days a week doing semi light weight training. So everything is good with that just the muscle cramps and tightness is almost unbearable.

markalawton 25th March 2014 10:52 AM

I'm just over 4 months post op and when I got muscle cramps I was prescribed diazapam, as this is a muscle relaxer. I found this worked really well, I didn't take it all the time, just when the cramps kicked in.
might be worth a go for you?

scottbartz 25th March 2014 11:04 PM

Hey Mike,

It's been 2 years plus for me and I still get muscle spasms occasionally. A muscle relaxer is the only thing that works for me to ease it up.

As far as working out, I have found that going easy, but regularly on the upper back and shoulders has helped keep the spasms at bay for the most part. Also, staying fairly regular in building back some chest muscles, but also stretching them a bunch has made a big difference for me. Helps to keep the posture good with less effort from the back. And core, core, core! Hitting that core will alleviate so much strain on the back in the long run.

My doc told me that spasms are not uncommon and that he frequently prescribes valium to knock them back.

This is from my experience and we're all different, but I hope this helps.

Scott