- About Sparkles
- I like the simple things in life,tough times don't last but tough people do!
- North Wales,UK
- Reading,internet,knitting,photography,and pets i also enjoy a good comedy on tv
- Unable to work due to severe back pains after falling down stairs,am now waiting to see a specialist
- Scoliosis History
A few fields to allow you to share some of your scoliosis history if you want to.
- What type of spinal curvature?
- Diagnosis Details
- Was diagnosed with a Z shaped spine but later had surgery to stretch 5 inches which left me in an S shape curved spine,my scoliosis was due to injury as a 12 year old now an adult my back continues to cause pain as i have a twisted and stretched spinal cord,told my back will always be an S shape it was hard to accept as a young child but over time i accepted that is how i will always be.
- What curve pattern?
- Double major
- Surgery Details
- Full fusion surgery at age 14 fitted with a Harrington rod,bone graft from pelvis,was stretched 5 inches but two days after surgery suffered serious complications and almost died,some complications were continously dropping blood pressure and severe breathing difficulties and erratic heart rate/beat, and double vision and swooshing sensations through my whole body,i later passed out and didnt come around for 2 and a half days i was also told i was screaming and shouting but have no memory of it at all,it took a team of 14 consultants the whole 2 and a half days to try and stabalise my dropping blood pressure,i was told i had almost died but being so ill i was unaware of the drama that had gone on,i rememeber my consultant crying hysterically and shouting and thats my last memory of it all,he later told me that dropping blood pressure after surgery is a sign of internal bleeding and wound bleeding,both life threatening.
- Worn a brace?
- No brace
- Been cast?
- Casting after Harrington rod surgery
- Casting Details
- Had to wear a plaster cast from my neck to where my legs start for 6 months after surgery,it was so heavy and bulky then 3 months after surgery i had an infection at top of scar then i had to return to Hospital and plaster removed then once infection cleared was given a new one,the worst part of having a plaster was people staring at me wherever i went so annoying but i dealt with it by waving at them! this made them look away,my infection led to bad scarring but hey i survived............ :)