- About Rachel
- Mum of 3 boys aged 11, 9 and 5
- Newquay, Cornwall
- Antenatal teacher
- Scoliosis History
A few fields to allow you to share some of your scoliosis history if you want to.
- What type of spinal curvature?
- Infantile Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Diagnosis Details
- Youngest son, Adam, diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 9 months. After a delayed 'wait and watch', we now have treatment plan of serial casting
- What curve pattern?
- Single thoracic
- Curve Pattern Details
- C shape
- Had surgery?
- No surgery
- Worn a brace?
- TLSO brace (eg Boston brace)
- Bracing Details
- Began wearing braces at the age of 3 when plastercasts no longer appropriate. Currently in 3rd brace, tolerated well by Adam and worn 24 hours a day unless getting wet! Curve is being maintained and is potentially improving.
- Been cast?
- Serial casting for infantile/juvenile scoliosis
- Casting Details
- First cast 12 November 2009 at Alder Hey under Mr Bruce, reduced curve from 41 degrees to 18 degrees. Cast changed Feb and May 2010. Final cast 2011 then moved to braces.
- Mum to Adam, age 5 and a half; idiopathic infantile scoliosis diagnosed December 2008, 1st cast November 2009 reducing curve from 44 to 31 degrees. 2nd cast February 2010 reducing to 24 degrees. 3rd Cast May 2010 reducing to 18 degrees (4th cast in July due to pressure sore). 5th cast October 2010 reducing to 14 degrees. Boston Brace fitted January 2011 onwards.
- cupcake createor