- About bara
- Widowed, 2 adult sons
- Systems Manager
- Scoliosis History
A few fields to allow you to share some of your scoliosis history if you want to.
- What type of spinal curvature?
- Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Diagnosis Details
- Originally diagnosed aged 10 after my mother noticed my back wasn't straight, my local hospital sent me as an outpatient to the RNOH in Great Portland Street, where my consultant was the great Charles Manning! He said it was a thoracic curve with a compensating lumbar curve - and no-one has ever disagreed. When my parents moved house I was transferred to Harlow Wood OH in Nottinghamshire where I had my surgery performed by Peter Jackson - Mr Manning even came to visit when he came to a conference!
- What curve pattern?
- Primary thoracic with one or more compensatory curves
- Had surgery?
- Posterior surgery
- Surgery Details
- Fusion with Harrington rod 1970 - rod removed 1978 by Mr Webb - I had the pieces welded back together and I still have it - hooks and all!! Fusion T4 -L1.
- Worn a brace?
- Milwaukee brace
- Bracing Details
- Diagnosed aged 10 (1966) -fusion at age 14
Wore Milwaukee from age 11 to 16 including 12 weeks in hospital lying flat in Milwaukee brace post op - things were different back then!! Wore it 23 hours a day pre-op, 24 hours for a year post op then daytime only after that
- Been cast?
- Casting for other reasons
- Casting Details
- 3 months in a cast from neck to pelvis (it was really heavy and I went to school in it on the bus!!!) in an attempt to stop the deterioration that was happening despite the Milwaukee - it didn't work!
- 58 years old, juvenile ideopathic scoliosis - thoracic curve with lumbar compensating curve. Fusion (T3/4? - L1) at age 14 with Harrington Rod after 3 years in Milwaukee brace, 1 year's bracing after, then rod removed 8 years after the initial surgery. Reviewed NOC, Oxford by Prof J Fairbank October 2010.