- Date of Birth
- July 6, 1970 (46)
- I joined because I need as much information and support as possible!
- New Lenox, IL USA
- Dogs and Horses
- Can't work now...
A few fields to allow you to share some of your scoliosis history if you want to.
- What type of spinal curvature?:
- Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
- Diagnosis Details:
- I have Thoracolumbar Scoliosis with hyper-kyphosis and hyper-cervical lordosis.
- What curve pattern?:
- Primary thoracolumbar with one or more compensatory curves
- Curve Pattern Details:
- My lumbar spine is sort of c-shaped and then rotates around and then curves again in the thoracic region on all on the right side. I lean to the right, hmm... I also have hyper-kyphosis (don't know the curve). Curves (laterally are 12% (thoracic) and 27.5% (lumbar). May not be as bad as some, but I used to ride horses professionally and I am certain that was my downfall. All lumbar discs are either collapsed completely or are on their way. I have stenosis as a result of those discs entering the spinal column and neroforamen as well as spondylolithesis.
- Had surgery?:
- More than one surgery at different times(tell us more in the next field)
- Surgery Details:
- I had first surgery December 28, 2011, to correct the curves and rotation and create a normal normal lumbar lordosis as I have a "flat back" in the lumbar region. The surgery was done posteriorly with spinal fusion with instrumentation from T11-L4. Bottom of instrumentation failed. The bottom 2 screws that were in the L4 vertebrae became extremely loose and that vertebrae slipped backward giving an almost reverse lordosis. They took off the nuts that held the rods in place so they could reposition the L3-4 vertebrae. They also added two spacers between the L3 and L4 and packed the whole area with bone graft and BMP. Finally they removed they original loose screws and replaced them with 2 larger screws on April 12, 2013.
- Worn a brace?:
- TLSO brace (eg Boston brace)
- Bracing Details:
- I wore the brace for 9 months after my first surgery. I just had my second surgery a week ago and am wearing the brace again. My surgeon says I will wear it for a minimum of 3 months post-op but we'll see. That's what he said the last time.
Margaret (43 years old. Thoracolumbar Scoliosis, hyper-kyphosis, cervical hyper-lordosis, flatback, DDD, spondylolithesis, canal stenosis, collapsed, herniated, and perforated discs. Surgery: Dr. DeWald, Chicago Rush University Medical Center, 12/28/2011: Fusion T11-L4. Screws in the L4 became loose and vertebrae slipped backward causing the L3 to sit on L4 at an angle and straightened the normal lordotic curve. Revision surgery 04/12/2013: realign L3-4, installed 2 cages between L3-4 packed with BMP and bone graft, install larger screws and restore normal lordosis.
- Total Posts
- Posts Per Day
- Last Activity
- 27th November 2013 12:18 PM
- Join Date
- 18th August 2011
Showing Friends 1 to 10 of 37