PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Technique and chronic pain

carolad
11th April 2010, 05:42 PM
Some of you will know that I'm a big fan of the Alexander Technique, and think it has really helped me, both physically and psychologically in dealing with my pain.

I came across this article which explains how the Alexander Technique can help with chronic pain conditions - thought you might find it interesting:
http://www.alexandertechnique.com/articles/chronicpain/

Cassie
11th April 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Carol! It sort of follows the same type of self management model that the Expert Patients Programme teaches. I was going to find a teacher once my fusion is solid as I'm sure I could stand/sit/well do everything a lot better than I do at the moment! xx

carolad
12th April 2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks Cassie - I don't know anything about the Expert Patients Programme so that is interesting to hear there are some similarities.

One thing I like about AT is that its something you can do for yourself - there is something empowering in being able to take back some control over your condition. I know that this is a common theme in other pain management programmes. We all get so used to being 'patients' and having things 'done' to us, that it is easy to lose confidence and become a passive recipient...I don't think that does your mental state any good at all :(

Anyway, I'll not waffle on any more about the Alexander Technique, I know I do go on :oops: But if any of you have any questions, you know where I am!

aqz
12th April 2010, 09:55 PM
hey carol,really intresting...i just wanted to know you havent had surery right?what degree is your curve at.