PDA

View Full Version : Schroth treatment under Joanna Slup at ScoliosisInLondon

Beanstalk
1st April 2010, 11:42 AM
[My 14 year old had a check up with Mr Embers this month, he confirmed she had maintained her reduction for six months, from a measurement of 54o to 30o. We were told that this was something never seen before, but that it was just because the curve had decided to change in it's nature. Pre-Schroth it progressed from 47o to 54o in seven weeks.

She does 20m exercise a day (she's a teen, call it 10m). She goes to the OCC (cranial osteopathy) once a month, does 1to1 hatha yoga about 8 times a month. She completed a four week intensive last summer with Joanna Slup and is going to do 2h sessions about 6x a year.

It's a non-invasive treatment controlled by the person with the disease. No intensive care, no blood transfusion, no trauma, no risk of infection. It is, apparently, a miracle working approach, since it coincides with a change in the nature of the curve. Result: a kid who is off the radar for surgical intervention. A young woman who has had the priviledge of learning the value of good health.

We should all do more exercise, shouldn't we?

cost approx 3,540 to me
cost to NHS 4xconsults 4xsets x-rays 1xMRI

That's great, and makes sense doesn't it? Now I just have to work to convince the NHS that it's not just this one person who can do it. Anyone want to help?

tonibunny
1st April 2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Beanstalk,

That is really excellent! As Joanna Slup is an independent Schroth practitioner, would you mind if we moved your post to a new thread?

I'd be wary of people expecting the same miracle that your daughter has experienced, because we know that it doesn't work for everyone, but she has proved that it can happen. Hopefully Mr Ember will take note of this, he's a top surgeon.

How do you feel the OCC has contributed to her success? That's another treatment that is often subject to a lot of debate. I think the benefits of Yoga are well know and accepted :)

Toni xx

kytch
1st April 2010, 12:26 PM
That is fantastic news, you must be feeling more positive about your daughter's situation. But it is dreadful that the nhs doesn't seem to explore new avenues to try and treat this condition. These methods may not work for everyone, but faced with having to live with this condition or have the surgery I would rather give it a try, as I am sure would many others. But cost is an issue for me also.

stana29
1st April 2010, 12:46 PM
This is the thing YOU have 3500 pounds some of us dont have 35 pounds .. the diffrence you say is becouse your comparing it to the NHS ..

20 mins a day and that has reduced the curve down from a measurement of 54d to 30d Hummmm Find that hard to belive but good luck hope it carrys on for you .. !!

Simon, as Beanstalk mentioned, it's not only those 20 min a day but also the other intensive therapies her daughter been doing and as much as it might be hard for you to believe, I actually do believe things like this happen and if it indeed helps her daughter to avoid a surgery, than it's all thumbs up for Schroth, yoga, cranio etc.!!!

All the best beanstalk, I know how hard your daughter worked with Joanna and Jessie loved doing the exercises with her.

I am really happy for you!

xxx

Simon
1st April 2010, 01:20 PM
I go the wrong end of the stick . didnt read propelly i never do so i apologize ..

Lucy7
1st April 2010, 03:07 PM
Beanstalk this is such great news. I can't stop smiling now I read this.

Just one question. I team Schroth up with pilates. Is there any reason you decided yoga was a better option? Pilates is of great interest to me because of its core emphasis. But I have never tried yoga so I am interested. I'm an oldie (39), so I could never expect curve reduction, but for me it is a pain issue.

Anyway, many congrats on the amazing work your daughter has done so far. Please pass on our hugs and best wishes to her. She sounds a very determined young lady.

Best,
Lucy :)

mark
1st April 2010, 04:02 PM
I hope your battle with the NHS is as successful as your daughters miraculous cure

ScoliFamily
1st April 2010, 06:07 PM
Great news! We are going to Scoliosis Rehab, the leading Schroth clinic in the US at the end of April, so I'll let you know how we do. My daughter is only 8, so they're doing a 3 day clinic (it's a 12 hour drive for us). We drive 12 hours to Washington DC for her Cheneau brace, though, and do other therapies like the Pettibon technique to try and keep her off the surgeon's table. Congrats to your daughter for doing the hard work it takes! Keep us posted, please.