PDA

View Full Version : Thoracic Curves linked to Abnormal Foot Motion

stana29
26th March 2010, 12:07 PM
Hello,

As many of you know my daughter Jessie has neuromuscular scoliosis of 59 degrees cause by a surgery to remove part of her large tumour and that I am one of these mums who doesn't leave a stone uncovered in order to find as much as possible about her cancer and scoliosis.

This might not be something of a groundbreaking discovery and certainly I have been aware of this issue only thanks to the dedicated doctors and orthotics in the Czech republic but how about looking at your child's feet and especially their ankles and whether one of them or indeed both pronate inwards.

I was made aware about this issue in Jessie's feet by several doctors in the Czech republic following her scoliosis diagnoses and I was suprised that none of the UK doctors ever picked up on her really badly pronating ankles. Whilst in Czech, we were sent to the ortotics to make special foot soles for her in 15 minutes costing 10. It took her a while to get used to them but she feels comfy in them now.

Well, I cannot exactly say how big the impact may be on Jessie's scoliosis but I was certainly told that using these special orthopeadic soles will certainly improve her posture and I can clearly see her ankles much straighter than without the soles.

It's not magic, is it? Using simple common sense, I really believe that there is something to it!!!

Anyway, I found an article with claims that foot pronation might be linked to scoliosis. I know that this might not be linked to Jessie's scoliosis as she developed hers after her op but perhaps this might apply to the other types of scoliosis.

Taken from this amazing website created by a mum of a child with scoliosis:

"But this study suggests that asymmetrical pronation patterns may be a critical factor in the development of scoliotic curves. Interesting enough, in the screening process, I found no patients with significant scoliotic curves that did not abnormally pronate."

http://rothbartsfoot.info/Scoliosis.html

To those interested, have a read and make your own opinion on this but I can certainly rest assured that my child's feet that deserve looking after are indeed looked after thanks to these amazing guys in the Czech republic.

Perhaps the next time you see your child orthotist, raise this issue with them and see what their opinion is.

And if your child is still wearing these cheap alternatives to ugg boots or dare to say the original ugg boots, do have a look at this as well and hopefully that will make you to throw them in the bin ;-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_8569000/8569907.stm

Do I sound too bosy now? Well, if I do, I do apologise but as I discussed this with Mark :-) before, that must be my Czech accent coming through ;-))))

All the best with looking after your child's feet!!!

Love Stana xxx

tonibunny
26th March 2010, 12:55 PM
This makes a lot of sense. Also, a lot of children with mild connective tissue disorders tend to develop flat feet; as well as the CTD being a possible contributing factor to the development of their scoliosis, having flat feet which cause pronation can't help either.

My feet are now flat due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and I'm waiting for some custom-made orthotics. I wear sheepskin boots (good quality ones from Uggstore Australia and from Celtic Sheepskin) and they have some support but really, not as much as I'd like. My feet and ankles hurt a lot if I wear them to walk around town, so I don't do that anymore. At the moment I'm living in some flat Scholl ankle boots which are supportive and have a springy heel that cushions the impact of your footfall.

aterry
26th March 2010, 08:04 PM
My daughter (17 with a 27 degree lumbar curve) pronates. I've talked to orthopedists about this and they have absolutely nothing to say on the topic.

bronteamy
26th March 2010, 08:28 PM
i have idiopathic scoliosis & my feet tilt inwards too x

Amazed Jean
26th March 2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for posting the interesting article. I am going about now watching everyone's feet.

aqz
26th March 2010, 11:10 PM
hi its very intresting but also i am scared now.Basically my two year old used to walk tip toe and i was refered to orthopeadics and for one month she had to wear a cast on her whole foot up to her ankles just so they could loosen the muscles.This was very successful,as she is now able to walk with her feet down,the left foot was the one that was tight.Anyway all i have to do is some basic streches on her feet.She still at times will go tip toe but its just a case of me telling her 'put your feet down'.lol.
What is worrying me now is does this mean she has scoliosis ???

mamamax
27th March 2010, 01:38 AM
This makes a lot of sense. Also, a lot of children with mild connective tissue disorders tend to develop flat feet; as well as the CTD being a possible contributing factor to the development of their scoliosis, having flat feet which cause pronation can't help either.

That was an interesting web site! Don't know if it would help or not - or even be connected, but I found pilaties for feet (of all things).

Web site: http://www.pilates-pro.com/pilates-pro/2009/3/24/pilates-for-feet.html

stana29
27th March 2010, 10:27 AM
hi its very intresting but also i am scared now.Basically my two year old used to walk tip toe and i was refered to orthopeadics and for one month she had to wear a cast on her whole foot up to her ankles just so they could loosen the muscles.This was very successful,as she is now able to walk with her feet down,the left foot was the one that was tight.Anyway all i have to do is some basic streches on her feet.She still at times will go tip toe but its just a case of me telling her 'put your feet down'.lol.
What is worrying me now is does this mean she has scoliosis ???

Hello,

When we went to rehabilitation centre with Jessie in the Czech republic there was a little 2 year old girl exactly in the same situation as your daughter. She stayed there for 6 weeks with her dad working hard on her feet, exercising, stretching etc. and you could see her improving towards the end of the stay.

I am glad you are doing some stretches with your daughter as I believe this is very important.

I posted this article out of an interest and it certainly was not meant to scare anyone but make people aware of our feet and that we should look after them. Also the link of the pronation of children's feet and scoliosis is there according to the article but like with any research, we have to take any news like this with a little bit of pinch of salt and see if it really applies to our particular context.

I am no expert, just a mum who does her research, however I believe that children walking on their tip toes and children with their feet pronating is a completely different thing and I would not worry about your daughter developing scoliosis. Needless to say, being aware of issues surrounding scoliosis will not cause anyone any harm, only you can widen your knowledge about particular issues and links to scoliosis whether it is proved, speculated, backed up by research etc.

Only you can make you own initial judgement on these issue and if in doubt always consult your child's doctor, they are, after all here to answer our questions.

All the best,

Stana

tonibunny
27th March 2010, 12:08 PM
I agree with Stana, walking on tiptoes is not a sign of scoliosis nor a known contributing factor to its development. So please don't worry unduly :)

My sister walked on the toes of her left foot as a child and wore a leg brace for a year or so. She doesn't have scoliosis at all.

andrea
27th March 2010, 12:36 PM
My daughter's feet do this a bit, but not as much as mine do and I don't have scoliosis. I always thought I just had weak ankles. It's interesting.

stana29
27th March 2010, 01:44 PM
There is no indication that all children whose feet pronate will develop scoliosis or indeed already developed it however according to the study in the article a link was found to children diagnosed with scoliosis and feet pronation.

As much as this is an interesting finding, I believe it does not make it the rule or guidance to scoliosis diagnoses as they are so many other factors linked to scoliosis.

I strongly believe that any child should own a good pair of shoes and if their feel pronate than they should also have a good orthopaedic sole specially made according to their need.

brmorris
27th March 2010, 09:03 PM
wow! This is very interesting! I am always looking for more information! I will be talking to our orthotist, chiropractor and pilates instructor this week. I'm going to take a closer look at her feet too! I know that I really pronate and so does my husband, so I will take a look at all our kids.

Thanks for all the information!
Rachelle

missP
28th March 2010, 06:53 AM
Hello

Im a new member and this is the 1st time i have posted so hope I am doing it right! I had "mild" scoliosis diagnosed as an adult about 7yrs ago. At a recent follow up appointment my 2 curves have degenerated quite a lot to the point that i may well need surgery. 3 of my discs are also being compressed causing pain and pins and needles/numbness in my hands and feet. I'm waiting an MRI scan to determine whether or not surgery is needed.

Before the scoliosis was diagnosed I was assessed and given inserts for my shoes because my right ankle was turning out and casing me pain. To be honest they never really made much difference so I stopped wearing them but the problem has got worse. Is this the same problem and is it related to my spine twisting or because I am just flat footed?

Miss P

tonibunny
28th March 2010, 07:15 AM
Hi MissP, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

I can't say if your flat foot has anything to do with your scoliosis, but my rheumatologist told me that 20% of the adult population have flat feet anyway, so I think it's probably incidental in most cases.

Toni xx