PDA

View Full Version : Boris has been misbehaving...

Ryansmum
3rd January 2005, 05:14 PM
Hi All :D been a bit hectic around here over xmas etc so have only just whizzed in quick to give you an update,the boys go back tomorrow so I'll be around more then :niceone: Had quite a few problems since the 29th when we had the pads fitted to Ryan's brace..his little red bit is now a huge red bit when he takes it off(not sore still just red) so there is obviously a lot more pressure being applied,he asks to take it off after a couple of hours so we are basically starting from scratch again :-o would it be best to loosen the straps a little or should we persevere do you think??? Hope everyone had a great xmas and new years I have millions of posts to catch up on!!! Dee XX

Jonny
3rd January 2005, 05:19 PM
Red bits are normal and are what show the brace is applying pressure - a consultant took one look at my body last February and said, "I see he's been wearing his brace..."

Try with the straps a little looser maybe, but make sure it's pushing on him. If it comes off, try to get it back on as soon as possible. Sorry can't say anything more intelligent than that.

tonibunny
3rd January 2005, 05:25 PM
Sorry to say, Dee, that this is normal....so long as it doesn't cause him pain, I'd keep him strapped in tightly. Hopefully he'll get used to it eventually :( It's horrible but it shows that the brace is doing its work. I'm ever so sorry.....it was never going to be an easy thing to deal with :(

jfkimberly
3rd January 2005, 05:44 PM
I can't offer much advice, but I do want to wish you strength in getting through this. It's not going to be easy, but it's what's best for Ryan. Jonny and Toni are right... the purpose of the brace is to push Ryan's spine straight, so if he's got red bits, that means it's working. Good luck to you both... I hope he continues to be positive.

lindzi_11
3rd January 2005, 09:01 PM
Yah keep it strapped to what its supposed to be so he gets it in the habit of having it that way. He'll get used to it. But aww its sad ... :squeeze: *hugs*

andrea
3rd January 2005, 09:03 PM
Aww Dee, hugs to you and Ryan. I have to say that I agree with the others and I would persevere and keep it tight. Although it's hard to see him hurting like this, it will hopefully improve with time. If you slacken it off I imagine it wouldn't be as effective. Erin has a large pressure sore on her ribs which is open, and quite horrible to see when the cast comes off, so I feel for you seeing that when he takes his brace off. I'm sure there will be a couple of occasions when you feel you take 2 steps forward and one (or 2) back, but it'll be worth it in the end. Let us know how he gets on.

Kayla
4th January 2005, 04:23 AM
I would loosen it but that's coming from a kid who loosened hers all the time when she shouldn't have but do you put undershirts on him?

Crazy16girl
4th January 2005, 04:53 PM
It depends how BAD it is actually hurting him, sometimes you can accidently tighten it a little too much, if he is in real pain and crying opver it then id loosen it just a little bit, i know how much they can hurt. Then if he feels comfy judst do it up a lil tighter every week and he probs wont even notice :)

Ryansmum
5th January 2005, 10:04 AM
Hi gang thanks so much for reassuring me it was normal! We persevered and the redness isnt half as bad now so we are back up to 4 hours at school and 4 at home again..we'll try for an all nighter this weekend then hopefully by next week he'll be back up to his 23 hours again.Even though he is fair his skin is pretty much like mine so thats helping enormously I think he was a bit fed up when he couldnt wear it so much as he'd got used to it being on all the time now.He still isn't complaining so thats good and he's not been in pain with it he just gets a bit achy after he's been trussed up for a while LOL....luckily thats when he's due for a bath so that helps :D