PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Op's

Becky
2nd January 2005, 01:24 PM
I was just wandering how long before your op do you have the pre-op, how many appointments do you have, and what do they do?? If you have any other things to add then that would help!

Im hoping to get mine soon, my doctor said the pre-op could be anything between 6 - 8 weeks before the op and Im supposed to have my op in March!

My mum has been told to ring the hospital on Jan 10th to see if they have a better idea of the date of my op, so fingers crossed they will tell me something this time!

I think Im so relaxed about having an operation because I havent got a date, I think when I get a date and the pre-op I might actually believe im going to be having an operation!

Any help and advice is welcome!!!! Please!?!

BlueIce
2nd January 2005, 02:25 PM
My pre op was somewhere in april I think, and I had surgery at the end of June. The only thing they did is ask me some questions (like what medicins I'm on, how tall I am and how much I weigh, just basic information for the aneasthesia) and draw blood, (not that much, but enough to almost make me faint :-) I think it were 5 or 6 tubes). Then I had to have a CT scan done, because they were going to perform surgery by using a computer and it needed the scan or something like that.
Other people get lung tests too, but I didn't.

Kaja
2nd January 2005, 02:39 PM
My hospital is in Oslo, so I don't get down there too often (1,5 h plane). After just being diagnosed with "um-severe-scoliosis-I-think-but-I'm-sending-you-to-Oslo" in my hometown, I went to Oslo in June 03 :P They said my Scoliosis was severe, and that I needed surgery asap, anterior, blabla. HUGE shock :-o He asked us if we had plans for the summervacation, because if we didn't, he'd operate on me in July! Which is a month after reeeally being diagnosed!! But my mum asked if we could go to Spain.. Or that trip would be ruined. So we did. And I got a letter later on that I had my app in late August. So! We guessed that my surgery was around then. And it was (1st Sep). We stayed at this hospital hotel for one night. The doc took tests, and asked me if I was allergic etc. And bloodtests, but that was nothing! He took chest-x-rays and explained to me how everything worked and such :D Then I slept in my room, waiting for my surgery the next morning at 8am.. :roll: ... It was all very quick for me. NO waitingtime at all! Seriously! So I only went to that hospital twice, pre-op, including when I had my actual surgery..

I never had a CT-scan or anything, though.

jfkimberly
2nd January 2005, 05:12 PM
How big were your curves, Kaja? They didn't even discuss alternatives with you? They must have been pretty severe. But I do appreciate how responsive they were. I wish everybody could get treated so quickly and come out well in the end.

Kaja
2nd January 2005, 05:17 PM
My curves were 35, 57 and 30, and progressing. Quite a lot of rotation too. As I was pretty much done growing and such, bracing wouldn't help :P So they wanted to operate on me straight away.

I'm glad I got treated so quickly, but it was hard for me to understand in the beginning :roll: Didn't really have the time to think about it too much.

Abbi
2nd January 2005, 06:03 PM
Hey Becky, im not sure when the pre op tests will be, but 6-8 weeks b4 sounds about right!
As for the tests I think you will have breathing tests - cos they may need to collapse a lung, spine flexibility tests - so that they know how much they can de rotate your spine in order to make it straighter, blood tests, lots of xrays, maybe a scan (MRI or CT) um...thats all I can think of!

I hope it goes well for ya, and that you get a date soon! Please dont worry about the op after you get the date, cos it will be grand! Im so chilled out about my op too....although my parents are not, are yours like freaking out too?

BlueIce
2nd January 2005, 06:10 PM
spine flexibility test, I forgot about that one because they didn't do that in the hospital, my ortopedic (sp?) surgeon did that by himself (he lives in my town and can take his own xrays, he helped the "real" surgeon during surgery). As I recall I just hand to stand against a "wall" and bend left and right to see how flexible the bottom curve was.

Abbi
2nd January 2005, 06:20 PM
is that all it is....i thought it was a lot more different!
I had bending xrays in September, is that to do with spine flexibility?

BlueIce
2nd January 2005, 06:28 PM
mine did, because he had to find out how flexible the bottom curve was. The more flexible, the shorter the fusion needed to be. Too bad for me it wasn't flexible enough so they had to go down pretty low to get it out of the way. But it's almost completely gone now so that's a good thing :-)

Abbi
2nd January 2005, 06:39 PM
doesnt more flexibility get you a better correction also?

Jonny
2nd January 2005, 06:45 PM
I think pre-op appointments are generally made closer to surgery in the UK. My mum's pre-op before her hip was about a week before, I think.

When I got a surgery date, I phoned the hospital receptionist about a pre-op. She ran in and talked to the consultant, came back to the phone and said that because I would be 16 and otherwise healthy, I wouldn't need one at all.

So I didn't have a pre-op assessment.

Generally (I think) the day you're admitted to hospital they send you for bending films to look at spine flexibility, yeah, and from that they decide which vertebrae they're going to fuse. You'll likely have another set when you are admitted Abbi.

Also, at the pre-op or when you're admitted, they'll do all the tests to get a baseline set of measurements - blood pressure, O2 sats, pulse, breathing rate, temperature, lung capacity/strength, and they'll take blood. They did them on the ward, and then they asked me to go to ICU and have them there too, so both departments had a baseline for when I stayed there after the operation.

You'll be sick of all those obs after a few days. :-P

BlueIce
2nd January 2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Jan 2 2005, 06:39 PM
doesnt more flexibility get you a better correction also?
yup. If you look at my xrays you can see the top curve is still there. That's because it wasn't as flexible as the bottom one so they couldn't completely take it away. But I was actually too old to have this kind of surgery (that's what they told me) so maybe that's why it wasn't so flexible anymore.

Jonny
2nd January 2005, 07:20 PM
Curves stiffen up over time, just as they progress over time, yeah, but apparently as long as you're young enough to tolerate the anaesthetic, they'll do scoliosis surgery on anybody up to maybe age 80 :-o

A lot of curves, if they think they're too stiff for normal posterior surgery, they'll release - they'll do an anterior surgery and remove discs and replace with bone graft. They might even put a rod on the anterior as well (they did for me), making it a complete anterior fusion in itself.

I think, with more flexible curves the fusion can be shorter.

gabrielle
2nd January 2005, 07:29 PM
I had flexibility xrays done in Nov. at an appt with my surgeon. My doc was really pleased to see that even at 42 I still have a lot of flexibility. I have three appts on Tues. the 4th. One for admission testing (bloodwork, ekg, etc). One for giving my own blood and then another for a complete metabolic work up. On the 6th I have a pre-op appt with my surgeon so he can go over all of what he plans on doing- what kind of instrumentation and how far. Last time he hadn't decided if he would go from T4 to my sacrum or to my pelvis. Then I go again on the 9th and donate more of my own blood. (surgery is Jan 17th) They told me my fusion was going to be much more than the usual, as my curve is so low. Anyone here been fused to the sacrum/pelvis?? I've read that in low fusion cases the patient should work at getting their hamstrings well stretched, as their ability to bend forward is diminished quite a bit.

Kaja
2nd January 2005, 11:36 PM
Ooh yes! I had an x-ray done, when I was laying on my tummy :roll: It was weird. Anyway, the 57 curve was only about 40 when I layed down like that - so it was flexible! (they we're mainly correcting that big curve) So I guess that's why my fusion was only 5 levels :P

Jonny
3rd January 2005, 12:38 AM
They should do normal scoliosis x-rays standing up, although I think non-scoliosis spine films and chest x-rays are usually done lying down. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

They did all my scoliosis films standing apart from the bending films, which they did with me lying on the table, bending sideways so my head fell off the edge. :-?

They decided based on mine to release and instrument my lumbar curve with the anterior, and fuse it and the upper curve posteriorly. I was only expecting an anterior release, so possibly they decided it was too stiff and needed extra correction force or something. Apparently, my thoracic curve was "nice and flexible" so they didn't worry about the anterior.

Becky
3rd January 2005, 12:43 AM
Also my doc said it would be 6- 8 week before the op so I would have to stop my pill because he wont operate on me if iv not been of the pill for 6 weeks, but other ppl on here said they still took the pill up to their op, i suppose docs are all different?

Jonny
3rd January 2005, 02:26 AM
My admission booklet told me to stop taking the pill 6 weeks before I went in. Its wish is my command. :angel:

Rowena
3rd January 2005, 03:18 AM
As you may know I'm from Australia, and when they do the bending x-rays here, they are usually done with you lying on the floor. You are lying on a little trolley thingy that is very close to the floor. There are protective screens at your head and at your feet to protect the people "helping" with the x-rays. They tie four strips of material stuff around your waist and each person gets one each to hold. You are then "bent" into different directions with them pulling on the strips in different ways.

My bending x-rays weren't really done to see how much flexibility was in my spine, because they'd known for a very long time that my spine was very stiff, rotated and with little flexibility, and that anterior release wasn't an option 'cause the curves were positioned too high to get too and were too stiff anyway. It was too see if there was "anything" they could squeeze out of it curve wise, he got a few degrees of correction in the fusion, which was better than nothing :-)

elvinwarrior
3rd January 2005, 03:44 AM
I had a chest xray standing up. :P

Becky
3rd January 2005, 12:22 PM
I had some x-rays once were I was lay on a bed, they made me lie in different positions like on my side with one knee bent. I dont know what that was about, they never told me?!?! I just remembered it then.

It was strange because usually they just take one of my back standing up.

Kaja
3rd January 2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, they want to see the flexibility! :D

I had my chest x-ray standing up.

Becky
3rd January 2005, 02:21 PM
Ah right! Well I never knew that! They havent really told me much, ill have a lot of questions to ask at my pre-op!

Abbi
3rd January 2005, 02:34 PM
I had my early xrays (taken in march) laying down on a bed thing, and the rest where standing up.
My bending xrays hurt....cos I had to bend to my right as far as I could and it was sore!

Joy
4th January 2005, 10:49 PM
I had my x-rays taken a week before surgery, and they took the normal standing ones and then some bending ones where I had to lie ona frame type thing and bend agaist the curve. And I had a physical with my GP about a month before surgery, and she ordered some blood tests.

But I didn't have my actual pre-op clinic at the hospital until the afternoon before my op. I saw the anestheiologist, got my blood pressure, height, weight taken. Then a child life worker came to talk to me. lol. She had this huge rag doll and was explain IVs to me. (I was 13) My mom and I were trying so hard not to laugh and I think she caught on because she stopped with the doll. Oh, and I had to fill out a form about how I behave under stress, etc. I think some of that was just because I'm pediatric, though.

gabrielle
5th January 2005, 12:05 AM
Becky-I just went through a whole day (today) of pre-op stuff... don't know, but I assume yours will be similar. I donated my first unit of blood, and they also took a bunch of vials- they do a complete metabolic work-up with some, keep some for reference. They checked my oxygen saturation- mine was 100%, which they said was amazing, most healthy ppl have about 98%. They took my blood pressure about 5 different times (mine ranged from 104/65 to 120/70). They checked my red blood count (normal for women is 10-16, mine was 14), as well as my pulse. I also spoke with an RN from the anesthesiologist's office. She asked a bunch of questions mostly.They did an EKG, and mine was good, except the Dr notiiced my heart rate was low (normal is about 80, mine was 51), said it may be a slow thyroid and ordered a test with the blood I had given. They also took a chest xray (standing). (So far I am in great health). I think most pre-op work-ups are about the same, so I hope this info helps.

elvinwarrior
5th January 2005, 01:13 AM
Oh, ergh, blood work. I wanted to donate my own blood, but due to my fear of needles, my pulse rate was up to 132, and so there was no way I could donate. I usually have a high pulse, but my blood pressure tends to hang at about 97/54 to 100/60. Is there any correlation between the two? (Sorry for not having a clue about these things.;-))

titch
5th January 2005, 11:52 AM
Interesting you say that - I've always had a rapid pulse, and in younger years had chronically low blood pressure. I could hardly stand up without sitting straight back down with a head spin because of it.

gabrielle
5th January 2005, 06:01 PM
Blood pressure is measured in millimeters of mercury (just like weather pressure systems). The higher number indicates systolic pressure, which is the amount of force exerted on the walls of the arteries within and leading from the heart when it contracts (i.e., during systole). The lower number is the diastolic pressure, which is the force existing between contractions (i.e., during diastole).

Your pulse rate tells you how many times your heart beats, or contracts, in one minute. Pulse rate indicates how hard your heart needs to work in order to meet your body's metabolic needs.

Becky
5th January 2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks everyone, im better informed now! I guess that everyone has them at different times depending on the doctor? Ihop I have mine a while before my op because iv a lot of questions to ask, and ill probally be nervous the closer it gets!

Abbi
5th January 2005, 08:43 PM
have u got a surgery date yet becky? no, you havent have you *strokes chin*
well i hope u get it soon, I hate playing the waiting game, its not fun

Becky
5th January 2005, 10:34 PM
No I havent got a date Abbi, ill get the actual date when I have my pre-op, but the receptionist said if I ring back next week, when the doc's of his hols, then they might be able to give me a rough idea when it will be.

Joy
5th January 2005, 11:57 PM
I have a pretty fast pulse too. I think my RHR is 80 bpm. And I'm pretty active...

lynns
5th January 2005, 11:59 PM
my pr op was last week my surgery is friday. they did blood test, myleogram, ct scan and tomorrow im doing more blood test and another mri. i spent 3 hours in hospital to get all done.

Blair
6th January 2005, 12:05 AM
My pre op stuff consisted of bending x-rays, taken lying down , non forced- just me bending on my own, as well as just the normal standing ones.
I had two blood donations for use in my surgery (one every two weeks), and had to visit my GP for an EKG and some basic bloodwork within 2 weeks of the op.
I couldn't have ibuprofen for a few weeks before my op.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 12:06 AM
When is your surgery lynns? oh right - u sed, fri *slaps self on face - duh abbi*
lol - well good luck!!! hope it all goes well - i will be thinkn and praying 4ya

Jonny
6th January 2005, 12:16 AM
My resting pulse is in the 90s :-o but my BP is spot on middle of healthy range, thankfully. When I was on the monitor in ICU overnight, I turned my head so I could see it. I was drifting in and out of sleep, and I'd open my eyes and it would immediately flick from being in the 70s to being in the 90s.

During my anterior surgery I was tachycardic, apparently. I'll ask to see the op notes next appointment, but I hope it was sinus tachycardia (normal heart function but excessive pulse rate) not any kind of dangerous arrythmia. I suppose it could have been a minor reaction to the anaesthetic - I gather during the second op (different anaesthetic) I was fine.

Then again, as they hooked me up to the monitors just before the anaesthetic, my pulse was in the 130s :-o

elvinwarrior
6th January 2005, 12:28 AM
My pulse is usually around 100 :-? . Thank you for the explanation Gabrielle, what I managed to understand was very informative. :-)

Abbi
6th January 2005, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Jonny@Jan 5 2005, 11:16 PM
Then again, as they hooked me up to the monitors just before the anaesthetic, my pulse was in the 130s :-o
was that cos u wer nervous or what?

Jonny
6th January 2005, 01:34 AM
Mainly, yeah. Would hope it would have gone down though when I went unconscious.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 01:47 AM
is it bad if ur pulse is high mins b4 surgery?

Jonny
6th January 2005, 01:54 AM
Should think it doesn't matter, because as soon as you go out, your pulse will return to a sensible rate.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 01:58 AM
aww right ok! what is the normal pulse rate? (sorry for all these random Qs)

Jonny
6th January 2005, 02:12 AM
Anywhere between 60 and 100 beats per minute is considered normal. Above is tachycardic, below is brachycardic. Athletes tend to be so fit that their resting heart rate can be in the 40s and perfectly healthy with it.

jfkimberly
6th January 2005, 04:54 AM
I should think that it would be normal for the pulse to be high right before surgery, because the pulse tends to go up with stress. Most people are nervous before operations.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 11:22 AM
Jonny, can i ask another Q.....you said that ur pulse was 130 until u "went under" how did u know that? like do u remember everything until you went to sleep - cos i thought they gave you summit to make you sleepy b4
I certainly dont want to know everything until i fall asleep *yikes - that wud b scary*

jfkimberly
6th January 2005, 11:26 AM
When I went in for my brain surgery (almost) three years ago, I remember everything right up to going under. They started my IV line in the pre-op area, and they gave me something to make me "calm" while I waited for them to bring me into the operating room. After I was wheeled in, I was given a squirt of liquid and told to swish it around my mouth, then swallow it. I did so, then asked what it was (it tasted like water). The man said, "water." I smiled, satisfied that my guess was correct, then I woke up in recovery.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 11:50 AM
lol - why did he give u water like that? was it to take your mind off your surrondings?
thats good they give u sumthing, cos i had visions of them asking me to climb onto the operating table!
They made my friend do that for her apendix and bowel operation, the last thing she remembered was the surgeon being helped in his gloves, and she was lying on the table going, ahhh....help, put me to sleep now, please please!
so yeah, that wudnt b a nice experience

Jonny
6th January 2005, 06:26 PM
For major surgery they should only take you as far as the anaesthetic room where you can see through the doors into the theatre, I think.

In Stanmore they judge how nervous a patient is, and give them a pre-med if they are. I guess they reckoned I wasn't so they didn't, and I'm happier that way (I'd rather know what was going on, and not be feeling dizzy all the way to theatre). I guess they were proved wrong though when they hooked me up and saw my pulse :-P

When you come round, because you've been nil by mouth for hours and hours and then you've had your mouth open in theatre (intubated), you can have a VERY dry mouth, so I suppose the water would help with that.

jfkimberly
6th January 2005, 06:59 PM
I think the water was to make it easier to intubate. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything since the night before, so maybe they thought my mouth would be dry (though I did brush my teeth in the hotel before I went to hospital). I didn't ask.

Becky
6th January 2005, 07:15 PM
Im getting quite excited about my surgery now, I hope its soon so then I can book a holiday for the end of the year!!

BlueIce
6th January 2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Jan 6 2005, 06:26 PM
For major surgery they should only take you as far as the anaesthetic room where you can see through the doors into the theatre, I think.

In Stanmore they judge how nervous a patient is, and give them a pre-med if they are. I guess they reckoned I wasn't so they didn't, and I'm happier that way (I'd rather know what was going on, and not be feeling dizzy all the way to theatre). I guess they were proved wrong though when they hooked me up and saw my pulse :-P

When you come round, because you've been nil by mouth for hours and hours and then you've had your mouth open in theatre (intubated), you can have a VERY dry mouth, so I suppose the water would help with that.
I think they took me down the theatre... Not sure though, because I don't see a thing without my contacts. The only thing I could really see was one of those big lamps like you see in E.R. and stuff :-)
I remember them giving me a pre med even though I wasn't nervous at all. It didn't taste very well and made my mouth dry. Then they weeled me down to a room with other people awaiting surgery. After a while someone came to get me and took me in what I think was the theatre. They sticked all kinds of things on to my body and I got this thing over my finger to check my rate or something? They took that away when I woke up the next morning, I remember being "sad" about that because I thought it was cool (silly me). Then they rolled me over and "inserted" the epidural anastheasia and I think they gave me an IV too, not sure. After all that stuff they gave me a mask and told me to think about happy stuff. I don't think I got past the part were I was deciding what I would think about :-)
Next morning I woke up, tried to vomit through the tube in my nose (don't know how I knew what it was for) but it didn't help very well (will stop giving details now...). The nurse gave me a big "cotton stick" with lemon taste that's used to whipe your lips. I didn't know that and treated it like a lollypop :-)
After washing and brushing my teeth I got to go to my room.
Man, look at what I just wrote, seems like it was yesterday.. I didn't know I remember this so well.

gabrielle
6th January 2005, 11:04 PM
I got this thing over my finger to check my rate or something?

I think what you're talking about here is what they use to keep a check on your blood oxygen saturation level. Normal is about 95-98%.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 11:45 PM
lol - yeah they r pretty cool! lol!!!
So jonny your were in the Operating room/theatre? I have never been in there.....i had minor surgery on my ear when i was five, but made it as far as the anaesthetic room, which was filled with lots of soft toys!

Jonny
6th January 2005, 11:59 PM
No, I just saw into it through the doors. I could see lots of people wearing green milling about in there in masks and hats, and it's a strange feeling that they're preparing it for you. The next thing I knew, I was in Recovery. But I remember being wheeled from there into ICU, and wondering why they were taking me down to the ITU end rather than the HDU end - turned out they had beds free in Intensive Therapy and not in High Dependency.

Joy
7th January 2005, 04:37 AM
I walked into the OR. And I remember everything right up to going under for both surgeries. First I went to the same pre-op clinic place that I did for my pre-op clinic. They weighed me and measured me. I got changed into a hospital gown and they put cream and plastic on my hands for where they started the IV . They checked my bllodwork and consent forms. The second time, they said my bloodband had expired so they sent me for some bloodwork and to get a new band. The lady in the lab told my mom to 'take a number' even though no one else was there. That made my mom really mad. They also gave me some children's tylenol (the liquid kind- grape flavour). After a whilet hey took me to a waiting room just down the hall from the OR. There were other people there too. The first time, there was a little kids. The second time, there was an older boy who had all his limbs amputated and needed surgery to trim the bone shards. The second time, someone came to measure my head, to see where to put the wires. Then after a while, they took me into the OR. My mom came too but she had to wear a lot of paper things. The first time, I just climbed onto the table, lay on my back and the anesthesilogist started the IV. The gave me one medicine that I think was a sedative. It made me rather giggly and dizzy. I think I as still speaking semi-intelligently, but I'm not sure about that. Then they put another medicine in my IV and the next thing I remember is beine in ICE (I seem to have forgotten recovery). The second surgery, I lay on a strecher because the anesthetic doesn't work properly if you're on your stomach when they put you out. I remember being really dizzy after the gave me the sedaive or what ever it was, but I was still talking to everyone. Then I went out. I actually remember recovery really clearly after my secodn surfery, but I have no memory at all of being in transport past being wheeled out of recovery. I think I blacked out because I remember trying to move and then I remeber being back in ICE and in incredible pain.

Wow, I didnt realize I remembered so much....

Abbi
7th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Joy@Jan 7 2005, 03:37 AM
I walked into the OR. And I remember everything right up to going under for both surgeries.

The second surgery, I lay on a strecher because the anesthetic doesn't work properly if you're on your stomach when they put you out
Was it not really scary being in the OR/theatre? I would be like ah crap! lol

Wow - thats weird, that anesthetic doesn't work properly if you're on your stomach, I have never heard that? hmm.....

ok two Qs - Sorry again, im treatn u guys like big medical type ppl.....

but 1. y when they put u to sleep - like by IV, do they give u oxygen aswell.....?

2. What is the difference btween - ICU, ITU, HDU and IUE?
I have heard of all of them apart from IUE

BlueIce
7th January 2005, 12:47 PM
I can only answer the first question. They gave me oxygen, but by the time they did that they'd allready gave me an IV so there might have been something in there too.
I wish I could have seen what was happening to me, I'm sure I'd remember more.

andrea
7th January 2005, 02:25 PM
It may be different for different sorts of surgery, but the only time I've had an op, they didn't give me oxygen before I went under. I felt something cold going into my hand, and that was it. They intubated me and gave me oxygen once I was asleep. With Erin, they always give her gas as her veins are too small for them to get a line in easily, so for the moment it's easier to hold a mask on her face. Horrible, but necessary.

Jonny
7th January 2005, 04:44 PM
I inhaled my anaesthetic when I had my hernia repair at 2.

I think even when they introduce the anaesthetic through IV, they pump something inhalational like isoflurane into the ventilator to maintain anaesthesia.

Joy
7th January 2005, 07:12 PM
Andrea, when I was younger (5) I had a tumour removed from my had. I had general anesthetic twice, and once they used a mask. It's really not that bad, though I perfer the IV line. They used a mask when I was 7 and had my ears pinned, too. It's not that bad, I wouldn't worry about Erin.

Abbi - no, being in the OR didn't rattle me, but my mom nearly fainted. Of course, she had a better view because I was lying on the table and she was standing. But I was much calmer being more independent, walking etc then I would have been if they were wheeling me in on a strecher and giving me all sorts of drugs beforehand.

They didn't give me oxygen before they put me out, they waited till after to put the ventilator in.

ICE = intermediate care environment. It's in between ICU (intesive care unit) and normal hospital wards. I think it's unique to my hospital, though. They put me there because I wasn't on a ventilator after surgery, but I still need a nurse in the room at all time.

andrea
7th January 2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks Joy. I don't think it's the gas that's horrible, more the fact that Erin is kicking, punching, screaming and tearing at the mask while she's going under, which is never nice for a parent to watch. We've tried the softly softly approach (blow up the balloon, nice strawberry gas etc) but it doesn't work so we just get on and do it now. I'm getting better - I didn't cry last time :D

Abbi
7th January 2005, 10:35 PM
Joy - thanks for explaining that, I had never heard of it before!

Andrea - awe, it must be so hard for you to have Erin go through that all the time, but I would think that as time goes on she will get used to it, as it is routine.

Jonny and everyone else (lol) - thanks for the explanation about the oxygen thing, cos well i just didnt quite understand y they gave you it...!

tonibunny
8th January 2005, 12:10 AM
Andrea - Ohhhhhhhh that must be heart-rending to see :cry: I remember having gas for my very first operation, and not liking it at all....hopefully Erin will be able to have IV anaesthetics soon.

Abbi
8th January 2005, 12:17 AM
I didnt mind it much, when i had my op when i was little. Its ok at the start, and then its like ugh....but by that time, ur a little doppy anyways! lol
yeah i hope that Erin's wee veins grow more, cos it will be better for her then

Joy
8th January 2005, 06:50 PM
Andrea - that must be really hard for you to watch. Hopefully Erin will be able to have the anesthetic through an IV soon, it's much faster and more pleasant. Erin's probably confused and scared, not in pain. I remember being really really scared when they put me under when I was 5 , and Erin's not even that old.