PDA

View Full Version : Clarification: physiotherapy clinics and regulation in the UK

tonibunny
16th March 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I've recently stated in this forum that Joanna Slup's "ScoliosisInLondon" clinic is registered with the CareQuality Commission. This is because I did a postcode search on the CQC website and a registered clinic appeared at her postcode. However, Joanna isn't registered with them and nor does she need to be, as ScoliosisInLondon is a physiotherapy clinic only. Instead, she is registered with the Health Professions Council, who regulate individual physiotherapists.

The individual physiotherapists at the other main alternative scoliosis clinic in the UK, Scoliosis SOS, are also registered with the HPC. In addition, from later this year the clinic itself will be registered with the CareQuality Commission because they provide osteopathy services.

Many apologies for the confusion - we often get asked about regulatory bodies for private clinics, both surgical and nonsurgical, and with so many different organisations around it is difficult to work out who should be overseen by which body. As always, the best thing for a patient to do is to check with the clinic themselves if they have any questions about regulation, certification or the qualifications and experience of their staff.

Toni xx

stana29
16th March 2010, 04:59 PM
Hello,
I can always as Joanna who is she registered with as Jessie goes there every thursday.
Stana

mark
16th March 2010, 05:07 PM
Hi Stana

As toni says both clinics are registered with the Health Proffesions Council

If you are concerned i would contact the clinic/proffesional you are seeing to confirm who they are registered with

Cheers

Mark

stana29
16th March 2010, 09:42 PM
Hello Mark,
I am not concerned about Joanna's credentials at all, I think my post might have come out differently to what I actually thought.
I meant since we have a regular contact with Joanna it is easy for me to speak to her and therefore I can ask her to confirm this, however I do believe that Toni done her research correctly.
Stana

Reg No. Name Town Status Registered From Registered Until Supplementary Prescribing
PH80624 Joanna Slup Chiswick Registered 01/05/2008 01/05/2010 No
http://hpc-portal.co.uk/online-register/MicrositeSearchResults.jsp?REGNUM=&SURNAME=Slup&PROFCODE=PH (HPC Check.org website, online, accessed 16 March 2010)

mark
16th March 2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Stana, sorry if came accross a little abrupt, i just re read it back lol and its my Yorkshire accent coming out i tend to miss words out

What i meant was both are members of that organisation so as far as being signed they are both doing what is required but i guess you already knew that as you are using one of them

My mind gets a little puddled sometimes, i'm blaming it on the tramadol (well thats my excuse and i am sticking to it lol)

Out of interest how is your daughters trreatment going, i hope things ae progressing well

Take care

Mark

stana29
16th March 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Stana, sorry if came accross a little abrupt, i just re read it back lol and its my Yorkshire accent coming out i tend to miss words out

What i meant was both are members of that organisation so as far as being signed they are both doing what is required but i guess you already knew that as you are using one of them

My mind gets a little puddled sometimes, i'm blaming it on the tramadol (well thats my excuse and i am sticking to it lol)

Out of interest how is your daughters trreatment going, i hope things ae progressing well

Take care

Mark

Hi Mark,
No problem at all. It must be your Yorkshire accent coupled with my Czech one ;-)

Jessie started wearing Boston brace when her scoliosis reached 31 degrees and progressed to 58-9 degrees in 18 months than I decided to fit her with Cheneau brace and she started the Schroth method, I can say that her scolisosis has been stable and her last x-ray (1 year later) measured the same 58-9 degrees. I cannot say for sure that it is thanks to Cheneau brace and the Schroth method but I am very pleased with her scoliosis being stable at least for a while.

I know that one day she will have to have the spinal growth rods put in however these cannot be put in without taking her tumour out of her spinal canal (6 inches long tumour) and around her spine and even than there is no assurance that her eroded by the tumour vertebraes will be strong enough to hold the rods in.

I am pretty sure that if she didn't have the tumour inside her body, they would already operated on her scoliosis as 58-9 degrees is a pretty big curvature.

Her next x-ray is in July and this is where the next plan will be discussed.

Meanwhile we are trying to enjoy life as much as possible.

Thank you for asking about Jessie.

Stana

mark
16th March 2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Stana

Keep on fighting, your doing one hell of a good job, your English is far better than mine lol

I am sorry to read about the extra problem you face in relation to the tumour. I really hope that it does not cause you and your family any more undue stress and suffering

I really hope you manae to keep away from the surgeons knife. It brings a tear to my eye when i read ones so young having go through things that most adults would find exceedingly difficult to take

Mark