PDA

View Full Version : surgery in less than 1 week

lynns
31st December 2004, 12:18 AM
well guys ive been so busy with pre op and testing ect. my surgery is next friday and i have so much undone work to do. my husband will be taking the week off when get out of hospital . will i really need him to help? im having from c3 thru c7
disc replaced with fake ones and fusion. has any one had this done or any in put on the situation. so much to do and so little time. any advice would be great

Joy
31st December 2004, 03:17 AM
you probably don't have as much work to do as you think, though I can't be certain about that. Just make sure you're sleeping enough and eating well so you feel your best for surgery.

Yes, for the first week, you probably will need your husband's help. You'll be pretty tired for a little while, and unable to bend or lift.

will be back to complete reply soon...sorry!

Joy
31st December 2004, 06:59 AM
c3-c7 is 4 vertabrae, so that's a pretty short fusion. I know one lady who fused c3 and c4 together, but that was an accident. She says the only thing she can't do is look up.

Surgery really is worth it! yes, it is a long recovery, and yes, there is pain, but it is worth it!! I am SO much straighter now then I was before. (I'm fused from t2 to l1, so 12 vertabrae. that's my bottom curve, and it was corrected from 90 to 50),

I will be thinking of you, and please ask us if there are any more questions you would like answered!

sins
31st December 2004, 01:04 PM
Best of luck on friday !
You've been in such severe pain, you deserve a good result.yes, your husband is right to take a week off after you get out of hospital.You'll most likely have a neck support for a few months and it will be another few months before you'll know just how successful your operation was.Just follow your doctor's instructions about what you can and can't do.I know one member here who fitted some kitchen cupboards shortly after his disc replacement and that was NOT a good idea. :-D I think you'll be mobile enough after two weeks and make sure not to put stuff too high up in cupboards and make the kids do their share in the house.
Good luck.
Sins

jfkimberly
31st December 2004, 01:28 PM
(I don't know how I missed this thread!) Good luck, Lynns! Go to the bookstore and pick up some reading material for when you get home, and prepare to take it easy for a while. I think it's a very good idea to have your husband home with you for the first few days, and then take it day by day. When he does go back to work, it would be nice to have ready-made meals prepared to go in the microwave for lunch, and other little conveniences to let you focus on healing and ignore the day-to-day stuff. Keep us updated on your progress.

tonibunny
31st December 2004, 03:48 PM
Good luck Lynns!!! Try to focus on the fact that this operation will make you better and the quality of your life will be much improved once you have recovered :D

Do you know which vertebrae they are fusing, and which they are replacing discs for? The reason that I'm asking is that they actually remove the entire disc when doing a fusion, but obviously they've decided to replace some of your discs instead to retain movement in your neck - you wouldn't miss the movement of thoracic and lumbar vertebrae as much as that of cervical vertebrae, because your neck moves more than your body.

I have 15 vertebrae fused (T1 - L3) and really don't miss any movement, I can do everything I want to :D

lynns
31st December 2004, 04:43 PM
they are removing all the disc because two have ruptered and 2 have ddd. so they are replacing all disc. i have no clue if their using doner bone or my own. i wasnt told that. their putting plates and screws and fusion. im still foggy on all this. but hubby said just do what can this week to be prepared before get out. so yep im bringing things up and down from counters and assighning chores. one of my friends said she couldnt do house chores for almost 6 months and she just had one vertebra fused in neck. go figure a vacation from chores for a housewife. it will drive me nuts. im a very independant person and cant stand asking for help or for others to do for me. im the strong one. my sister said she couldnt do this, she would be batty, and that i have more guts that she. im being supported finally with all this but its smothering. i dont think any of this made since. i just woke up and i think i forgot to spell :D

gabrielle
1st January 2005, 01:31 AM
Very best of luck on Friday, Lynns! My surgery isn't 'til the 17th, so I have no advice, but take it easy. I know how you feel re: being independent and all that. I am mostly a housewife these days too, and I keep thinking how will my husband get by without my help?! Thankfully I don't have children to care for anymore. Anyhow, my prayers are with you for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Abbi
1st January 2005, 11:31 PM
Good luck! I hope it all goes well! I will be praying for you!

elvinwarrior
3rd January 2005, 03:32 AM
Good luck!! (And you will definately need your husbands help.)

Becky
3rd January 2005, 12:25 PM
Good luck, hope you get a good correction!!

Tweety Pie
3rd January 2005, 10:22 PM
Wishing you all the very best.

Jonny
3rd January 2005, 11:37 PM
Best of luck Lynns. Keep a positive attitude and you'll breeze through :-)

Blair
4th January 2005, 12:23 AM
Good luck Lynns!

lindzi_11
4th January 2005, 12:56 AM
G to the dOuble O to the D tO the L to the U to the C to the K !!

GOOOOOOOD LUCK LYNNS -- ur gonna get through it no problem... its breeeze !! Stay confident and keep on smiling !!