PDA

View Full Version : Infections

lindzi_11
27th December 2004, 04:33 AM
Hello everyone !! I just have some questions, about infections with rods in your back. Has anyone ever had an infection? And if so if you could please explain how it happened and everything. How can you prevent getting them? I just want to be extra careful and everything because I know someone who had to get the rods taken out of her back because she got an infection somehow.. (not sure why yet) . Also has anyone else had any difficulties with the rods before?

Thanks everyone :D

sins
27th December 2004, 12:49 PM
I don't have rods so I've never had an infection.It's still rare to pick up an infection after scoliosis surgery but I know two or three people who've had that experience.Bacteria have a liking for the metal and will migrate towards it after infection.Once your scar has healed up, you have very little to worry about.Just get an antibiotic prior to having dental work done and that includes scaling and polishing your teeth.Most dentists and doctors will ask if you have any metal implants before doing any procedure nowadays.
Most infections will occur right after surgery when bacteria from your skin could invade the wound or from the hospital environment.After such major surgery chances are you'll have been given IV antibiotics anyway.But you're well past that stage.Late infections are very very rare and not worth worrying about.My consultant told me that he was due to remove rods from an infected patient who'd had her surgery seven years previously.
Metal/titanium implants are very common nowadays and you have the same chance of infection as anyone who's had hip/joint replacement surgery.The risks are low so it's not worth worrying about.
Sins

Kaja
27th December 2004, 01:24 PM
Yes, the risks are low, try not to worry :D I've never had any problems with my Titanium rods.

Joy
28th December 2004, 12:05 AM
my dentist never told me that.....

Lindzi, try not to worry, the risk is very low!!