PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Schroth method

crazylu
25th February 2010, 03:28 PM
As I have previously posted my daughter (13) is currently in a Spinecor brace. Right now we are watching her grow like a weed, which scares the living daylights out of me. I don't think her curves are getting any worse but maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. My biggest question right now is if anyone has a teenager who has done any Schroth method exercises in the past or who is presently doing them. If so what have been your observations. My next question would be about finding someone to assist us with these exercises, as I can imagine that doing them wrong would be worse than not doing them at all. I have googled to see if I can find anyone in the Toronto, Ontario area that does these exercises, but have come up with nothing. I'm just thinking that any help in reducing these curves would be good. My daughter realizes that she is fairly twisted, although she does not want to see pictures of what she looks like. She is also giving us a lot of grief over wearing her brace, (she is a fashion nut!). As parents it is so difficult to be firm about the brace wearing, but even so we can't back down. By the way, in case you didn't know, my daughter informs me that scolisosis sucks and is unfair.:cry: I'm afraid I have to agree with her. It is so diffucult to put a good spin on this. Anyways I'm getting off topic, but if anyone has any info regarding Schroth method, and any availability in Canada, I would be happy to hear it. Lu

Amazed Jean
25th February 2010, 03:52 PM
Your daughter is absolutely correct. Scoliosis SUCKS! Whatever is worse than sucks, it does that too. And it is unfair. I wish I could give you both a hug. There are worse things in life but for the life of me I cannot think of anything to help get her through. Sometimes agreeeing with her might help, and do let her know you hate it too!

crazylu
25th February 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Jean, don't worry we have agreed with her that this stinks. I can't imagine how all these girls (and guys as well) can be so strong. You would think that in this day and age that they would come up with some more difinitive answers on how to fix and/or prevent this from happening. By the way I'm assuming that your picture is your daughter and your grandchildren. They are absolutely beautiful. They remind me of my 3 when they were very much younger. Lu

brmorris
21st March 2010, 05:29 AM
Yes, there is a "schroth" physiotherapist in the Toronto area. I have been in touch with her via email. Her name is Andrea Lebel and here is her email...
Ottawa&District Physiotherapy CLinic <odpcphysio@sympatico.ca> (javascript:addSender("Ottawa&District%20Physiotherapy%20CLinic%20<odpcphysio@sympatico.ca>"))

I hope this helps!
Rachelle

tonibunny
21st March 2010, 05:37 AM
Hi Rachelle, :welcome2:

Welcome to SSO! Thanks for that info :D

Toni xx

brmorris
21st March 2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks!! There was another physiotherapist in Ottawa, I think. I just "googled" Schroth physiotherapists and Canada. There is a pdf file that came up with names of all the Schroth physiotherapists around the world. Here's the link...
http://www.schroth-skoliosebehandlung.de/liste_therapeuten_eng.pdf

Rachelle

crazylu
21st March 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the links Rachelle, although I can't get the first one to work, the second one does and there is a Toronto name and number there. I think that there may be some merit with the Schroth method, it seems to make more sense that some other things out there. The only problem is getting a 13 year old to co-operate!! Lu

brmorris
22nd March 2010, 06:37 AM
With the first link, her information will be in the second link- in the pdf because that's where I got it from! All the reading I have done about the Schroth method sounds amazing!! It does sound quite intense, but the outcome can be incredible. I've also talked with a doctor out of New York and has many clinics all over the states about the Schroth physiotherapy! If I can find someone close, I would definitely do it, but for now, we have a number of people in place who I believe can help us. I will definitely be watching very close and we still may end up making some trips!

About your 13 year old cooperating, I can't help much there, our second daughter is the one we are dealing with with the scoliosis and she is only 7. I will be praying for you and her though!

crazylu
22nd March 2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks, I will add your family to my prayers as well. Lu