PDA

View Full Version : thought about having rods in your back

angelsfan
25th December 2004, 05:20 PM
on of the things i've been thinking alot about the last few days is having rods in my back for the rest of my life. for those of you who have had surgery, id just like to know how you think about it

Kaja
25th December 2004, 06:09 PM
I think it's a cool thought.. :P It's easier for me to say it though, as my fusion is pretty short. I don't like the discomfort that comes with it, but I do think it sounds pretty cool - to have metal in your spine! It's always fun to talk about with friends without scoliosis.. :D Heh. As long as I dont get pain caused by the actual rods, I like it.

Jonny
25th December 2004, 06:34 PM
If you have an anterior rod, you have no way of knowing it's there, because it's very much inside. You won't be able to feel it at all. Posterior rods, on the other hand, can get a little uncomfortable, but only if you're very thin. They probably won't hurt though and people think it's cool to have them 8)

Very occasionally rods can hurt a little, but if they do, you can have them removed after 6 months. I'm going to have mine trimmed if they'll let me, because the top ends get a bit sore. But it's very likely you won't notice them and no-one'll ever know, and you'll forget :-)

Joy
25th December 2004, 06:48 PM
I can feel my rods sometimes. But most of the time it just feels normal, because for me it is! For the firt few months it felt really weird though. And it's a cool thing to tell people. But it is a bit of a creepy thought when you think about it, especially before surgery. Don't worry too much, you'll get used to it. I can feel my rod if I ress in the right place, but that's only because I'm skinny.

Kaja
25th December 2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Dec 25 2004, 06:34 PM
If you have an anterior rod, you have no way of knowing it's there, because it's very much inside. You won't be able to feel it at all.
Oh yeah? I have two anterior rods, and I can feel them if I press the right place. The muscles on top of the rod kind of makes a hump on that side of the spine :P It feels weird when I touch it (not painful). But Jonny, of course you can feel them if you're skinny enough! :hammer: "Very much inside" - it's on the side. Tsk.

Jonny
25th December 2004, 08:13 PM
Come to think of it, my back is a TINY bit raised on that side, and that could be from the rod. But in any case, it's a good inch under the skin.

Abbi
25th December 2004, 09:51 PM
i think its cool to have rods in your back, well i dont - yet! but hey, it means a straighter spine, and possibly pain free!!!

elvinwarrior
25th December 2004, 11:05 PM
Hehe, I always say I've got a spine of steel. I can't feel mine at all.

BlueIce
25th December 2004, 11:35 PM
I'm not really fond of them off course, but I don't hate them either. Because I have a long fusion I lost a lot of mobility in my back and that's basically what bothers me the most. I haven't really thought of having them in there for the rest of my life, I just take this day to day and don't really think about a future with rods.

Blair
26th December 2004, 12:46 AM
I don't know. Once in a while it really creeps me out, to the point I get completely disgusted and want to be sick... But I'm mostly ok with it...

I've been wondering lately... Once my fusion is solid, might it make more sense to have them removed? I'm very active, and lift a lot of heavy stuff, and have a good chance of taking some dramatic spills off my horse (I haven't fallen off in years, but I plan on working young and untrained horses in the future, so it WILL happen eventually) If I break the hardware, would it be problematic for me? Better to have it removed before any potential trauma occurrs????

Jonny
26th December 2004, 02:41 AM
Blair, I think if they break it doesn't matter, as long as the fusion is solid. They just stay there (ask Vicki). I don't think you can break them with trauma anyway, because your spine supports the instrumentation and the instrumentation supports your spine.

If you're not fused yet or you've got a pseudarthrosis (non-fusion) somewhere, it's a different matter, but I guess if you're not fused yet you just wait before you put the rods at risk, and if there's a failure to fuse somewhere, I would think that would probably need revising.

I'm asking for mine to be trimmed purely because it hurts to lean against things.

(This is my 1000th post! :party:)

lindzi_11
26th December 2004, 04:38 AM
Maybe I should have started a new thread for this... but oh well hah. I know a girl who lives where I live and she has scoliosis. Its been two years since her surgery. And she recently went back to horse back riding. Now apparently like 3 weeks before my surgery her parents noticed her walking crooked again. Being since her passion is riding horses and everything people thought it was because of that. So she ended up having to go back to the hospital to get the rods taken out of her back. Just recently my dad had been talking to my neighbour who works with the girls dad. My neighbour told us it wasn't about the horses and that she got an infection somehow. He didn't know why though. My dad is planning on calling the girls parents to talk to them and stuff. But what I don't get is how the rods got infected and loose... like could some of you name some reasons why. Because I wanna be extra careful... I'm actually happy with the rods in my back. They don't bug me and they aren't bad at all.. its not how I thought it would be.
Thanks SSOers :kiss:

ps... lol I've talked this girl before my surgery and her name is Brittany... but lol me and her have NOTHING and i mean nothing in common. I asked for her e-mail and stuff for msn and everything and lol she said "ohh I don't care for that stuff. I'm computerly challenged and I'm happy using the phone." Now theres nothing wrong with the phone cuz i use it 24/7 but like just the fact that she doesn't like computers lol. :-? alrighty then....

titch
26th December 2004, 01:12 PM
Sometimes infections just happen - in rare cases they arise quite a long while after surgery, up to 2 years or so usually. It is unusual though, and as long as you're careful to make sure you get any infections elsewhere treated quickly, and you make sure to have prophylactic antibiotics before and after any dental work, you should be fine :-)

angelsfan
26th December 2004, 05:48 PM
my question wasnt really about so much about feeling them just knowing that they are there and I'll have them the rest of my life. I dont know, maybe i shouldnt be thinking about that. i just hope that once this is over with i can still play baseball and surf

lindzi_11
26th December 2004, 05:52 PM
Aw don't worry you'll be able to back to everything normally in like a year. I'm totally going back into soccer, snowboarding and roller blading and maybe even dance next year. Its actually kinda cool to have rods in ur back.... lol.

BlueIce
26th December 2004, 05:53 PM
there sure are times when I don't even realise I have them inside of my body, especially when I'm having fun :-) . You'll probably still be able to play baseball too, just not the first half year (or even a year) after surgery, because you probably can't stand the 'shock' you get when you jump (I know I hate the feeling, it doesn't hurt that much but it's weird, maybe because of the long fusion). Talk to your doc about this when you see him or her again, as s/he probably can give you a better answer.

elvinwarrior
26th December 2004, 10:33 PM
I don't notice them most of the time, although I don't have a very long fusion and didn't lose much mobility. I've been thinking of taking up belly-dancing...

Abbi
26th December 2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by titch@Dec 26 2004, 12:12 PM
and you make sure to have prophylactic antibiotics before and after any dental work, you should be fine :-)
what?!? I heard that b4...why do you have to do that?

titch
27th December 2004, 01:47 AM
It's only something you have to do for a couple of years with metal work - it's to do with the fact that if the gums end up cut as a result of the treatment, it can allow infection in, and that infection can track to other parts of the body - for example, people with heart valve problems, or with a hole in the heart, always have to be treated with antibiotics as there is a very real risk of infection tracking to the heart. I'm honestly not sure how high the risk is for it tracking to rods, but even though it's small, it is a real risk in the early days. It doesn't need heavy duty antibiotics - I had to have some dental treatment about 6 months after surgery, and was given a penicillin powder to take 12 hrs before, and again 12 hrs after surgery, and it wasn't a huge dose :-)

BlueIce
27th December 2004, 12:16 PM
good to know. I'd never though about telling my dentist about the surgery. Maybe my wisdom teeth'll have to come out next year, so it's good to know I need to be carefull.

Abbi
27th December 2004, 06:57 PM
awww right ok! thanks for explaining that titch!

Amazed Jean
29th December 2004, 05:25 AM
If the thought of rods in your back bothers you. Take a look at my xrays. I'd LOVE to have rods in my back. It's all a matter of perspective.