PDA

View Full Version : Expert Patients Programme (EPP)

Cassie
23rd February 2010, 12:19 AM
When I was looking on the I'Net for Functional Restoration Programmes (FRP), the course Claire completed, I came across the Expert Patients Programme (EPP), http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/ (http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/) As I couldn't find out from my GP or my Primary Trust about FRPs I sent the EPP a mail.

Anyway long story short - it's a free 6 week interactive online workshop run by 2 peer tutors for approx 25 patients and sets out to help self-manage pain/long term chronic conditions and get support, help and tips along the way. I thought I'd give it a go and it started last Thursday 18th Feb. In case anyone is interested here is what the first week covered:

Week 1 -
(There was a short questionnaire to be filled in prior to this).
Learning for Session 1:
Intro to Healthier Living Online
Mind & Body conditions
Self Management Tasks
Problem Solving
Causes of Pain
The Power of our Minds
Short term Distraction
Goal Setting
Parts of an action plan

We had to put together an Action Plan that others could comment on, or make suggestions about.

There is a Discussion Centre, where Problem Solving and Difficult Emotions can be discussed as well as the Action Plans.

And there is A 'Tools' section, with a Fitness zone, Relaxation zone, Profiles etc.

If anyone finds this useful I can post what happens in Week 2 next week!

titch
23rd February 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm definitely interested to hear more! :)

GillyG
23rd February 2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, I spotted something about this a while back but then forgot to follow it up :doh:

I'd be very interested to hear more about it Cassie :)

Cassie
27th February 2010, 04:58 PM
Onto Week 2 of the Expert Patients Programme. This week deals mainly with two important self-management tools: exercise and weight. There are still the Discussion Areas of 'Action Planning', 'Celebrations', Difficult Emotions' and 'Problem Solving', that are available all the time to either write to with a problem/plan/question or to answer someone elses mail. This has been a very helpful part so far and getting others ideas and tips is useful. The Fitness Zone, Relaxation Zone and Journal etc., are also always available. You also choose someone from the class to be your buddy for the week and to write to, encourage etc.

Week 2 -
We went through our week 1 Action plan and how we did. (I got a Congratulations for completing this!)
Benefits of Exercise - we had to list as many as we could think of and then see how close our list was to theirs.
Developing an Exercise Programme - and the basics of 3 exercise patterns: Flexibility/Stretching, Strengthening and Endurance. What exercise is right for me and some examples and tips.
Monitoring your Exercise Programme - questionnaire to check all is ok. Piece about low blood sugar.
Your Exercise Goal - Personal exercise.
Your Exercise Barriers to Success - Writing a little of what our problems are.
Weight Management - General advice.
Body Mass Index - Finding our BMI, mine is 20.4 which is apparently ok!
Balancing Calories - some questions about eating habits and activity levels. Meal plans and calories.
My Healthy Weight - How to accomplish a healthy weight, filled in what we would do with eating and exercise to achieve.
Goal Setting Session 2 - Looked at Action Planning and how confident we would be to complete this week's activity.
Make Session 2 Action Plan - Write out the Action Plan (this gets put into the discussion area automatically so others can comment/help.)

The Handbook also covers all of this work.

That's it for this week!

cherrybird
28th February 2010, 11:41 AM
That looks interesting Cassie, hope it works out well, I am watching with interest.

Cassie
8th March 2010, 07:05 PM
A quick note on the content of Week 3 of the Expert Patients Programe -

Week 3:-
Check through last week's Action Plan and how well it went.
Dealing with Difficult Emotions.
Expressing How you Feel.
Managing Shortness of Breath.
Muscle Relaxation.
Getting a Good Night's Sleep.
Endurance Exercise.
Monitoring Exercise.
Goal Setting for Session 3.
Make Session 3 Action Plan.

Cassie
31st March 2010, 07:55 PM
I've not been keeping up to date with these, so here's a belated week 4!

Week 4:-
Welcome to Wk4 and go through Wk3's Action Plan Summary
Healthy Eating Basics
Principles of Healthy Eating (Good Fats, Bad Fats, Fibre, Protein)
Cholesterol and Food
Cholesterol Production and Intake
Carbohydrates, Proteins
Future Plans for Healthcare - Advance Directives etc
Communication with Friends and Family
Learn about: Parents, Saboteurs, Do-Nothings,
Make Session 4 Action Plan

Cassie
31st March 2010, 07:56 PM
And .....

Week 5:-
Welcome to Session 5!
Action Plan Summary Session 4
Action Plan Feedback for Session 4
Purpose of Medications
Medication Effects
Medication Responsibilities
Remembering to take Medications
Remembering Medications
Keeping a Medication Log
Evaluating Treatment
Recognising Depression
Symptoms of Depression
Depression Symptoms
Positive Thinking
Examples of Positive Thinking
Getting Started With Positive Thinking
Practice Positive Thinking
Goal Setting Session 5
Review Action Planning Session 5
Make Session 5 Action Plan for Session 5
Learn More about: Keeping a Medication Record
Learn More about: Internet Information
Learn More about: Alcohol and Depression
Learn More about: Action Planning

Cassie
31st March 2010, 07:58 PM
Here's the final week and the topics were generally very useful to work through, but the support from the rest of the group was one of most helpful parts of the course:

Week 6:-
Welcome to Session 6!
Action Plan Summary Session 5
Action Plan Feedback for Session 5
Working with Your Health Care Team
Keeping Your Team Informed
How a Partnership Works
Being a Partner
Working With your Doctor
Preparing For Your Next Visit
Useful Techniques
Accomplishments
Goal Setting Session 6
Review Action Planning
Make Session 6 Action Plan
Workshop Conclusion
Learn More about: Action Planning

GillyG
31st March 2010, 09:33 PM
Wow Cassie, some of that stuff looks really interesting. Did it take up a lot of your time? I'd be quite interested in doing it myself.

Cassie
31st March 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi Gilly,

I found lots of it very helpful. You are expected to log on to the website on a Thursday when each new week's session is posted and work through that. Then log on a minimum of twice more to the Group Discussion Area, where you give and receive support/advice from the other 20 to 25 'students/patients'. There are also 2 to 3 'tutors' who lead and advise.

I found making an Action Plan each week a great help in actually achieving (small) steps to where I want to be! Plus it's good to be able to support other people where you can and also to have their ideas for any worries and problems you may be facing.

I think it's a good idea - it goes very quickly though! :)
cassie, x

cherrybird
3rd April 2010, 11:44 PM
That has made for great reading cassie, a lot more indepth than the frp I did. I think I may look further into doing something like this myself.