PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm New

Jules
24th December 2004, 04:58 PM
Hi I'm new here but I have been on the scoliosis.org website forum.

My name is julie and I am 15, in january this year I had corrective surgery for a curve of 50 degrees, which lasted about 6 1/2 hours, and I had 2 metal rods inserted next to my spine.

I had my surgery in the Nuffield Hospital in Oxford, which was really good becuase all the nurses were really nice especially when I had my birthday in hospital!

I grew 2 inches after the surgery and am really pleased with the correction that was made, even though I still do receive some back and rib pain.

I just wanted to say hi to everyone and give you some background information on me, I hope I can chat to some of you in the future and help with an problems people may ahve with scoliosis.

Love Jules xxxxxxx

PS Happy Christmas to you all! :joke:

Carly
24th December 2004, 05:04 PM
WELCOME! Glad you found us! Merry Christmas to you too!

Kaja
24th December 2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Jules! Welcome to SSO :D

I'm 15 too, and from Norway. Had surgery last year, and am doing well :P Sounds like you are too!

Have fun, and merry christmas!

Jules
24th December 2004, 05:17 PM
Hi
Thanks for you being so welcoming

So where is everyone from in the world?

Kaja
24th December 2004, 05:36 PM
We have members mainly from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada and Australia (the English-speaking countries.. :P ). But there are a few from Belgium, and me from Norway :D I think that's it?

tonibunny
24th December 2004, 06:00 PM
Welcome Jules!!! :welcome: :joke: Thanks for coming to join us!

My name's Toni, I'm 29 and I live in London. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was a baby, with a 62 degree / 40 degree double curve. Do you live near Oxford? One of our members, Charlotte, also had her surgery at the Nuffield (if I remember correctly!) :D

BlueIce
24th December 2004, 06:09 PM
Hi Jules! My name is Leen, but I've experienced that the sound of "ee" doesn't exist in english so don't bother to pronounce that :-). I'm 20 and live in Belgium. I had my surgery almost half a year ago, to correct a double curve of 60 and 50 degrees.

titch
24th December 2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Jules! :welcome2:

I live in Swindon at the moment, so not terribly far from Oxford. I actually had my last spine surgery in Nottingham, but my dad had elbow surgery in the Nuffield, and they really were good.

As to people from around the world, there's also Maria in South Africa, and I think we've got someone who visits very occasionally who is somewhere in South America (names escape me at the moment :oops: )

butterflylr
24th December 2004, 07:03 PM
WELCOME!!! It's always great to see someone new on here! Hope you come by often and get to know all of us! :D

So Blue Ice, you mean to say that your name isn't pronounced with an EEEEEEEEE sound? I always thought it was. :-)

BlueIce
24th December 2004, 07:42 PM
well.. an english man I met a few weeks ago thought it was like lynn, but it's not the same sound. Kinda hard to explain when you can't use sound :-) In dutch it's an eee sound, but that doesn't mean the same in every language :-)

floralgypsy
24th December 2004, 07:48 PM
Hello Jules, welcome to SSO. I had my surgery at the Nuffield Orthopaedic just over two years ago. My surgeon was Mr Wilson-MacDonald, and I too am pleased with the results. Where abouts in England do you live?

Great to have another NOC patient here!

Abbi
24th December 2004, 09:07 PM
Hey Jules! Welcome to SSO!!! Thanks for sharing your story with us!
My name is Abbi and I am 18 from Northern Ireland!
I was only diagnosed with scoliosis in March on this year, and I found out in spetemeber that I have a double curve both of 80 degrees, I will be having surgery late 2005 (hopefully - waiting lists) so I coudl really do with your advice!

Happy Christmas by the way!!!!

Kayla
24th December 2004, 09:56 PM
Hi Jules! I am Kayla and I am 15 also!! I am from California, USA I hope you find this site helpful

Thaleias spirit
24th December 2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Jules...and welcome to SSO.

My names Michele (also known as chele/shell), and I'm 31. Im in Ireland. and Ive got congenital kyphoscoliosis that has not been treated.

Hope you enjoy your stay here...

(ooh and have a lovely christmas!)

Little~shedevil~dee
25th December 2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Jiles welcome to sso .

My name is Denise but every one calls me Dee and i'm 24
i am in hertfordshire . right now i dont know my curve just waiting for some scans to be done .

Merry christmas and a happy new year to you

gabrielle
25th December 2004, 12:44 AM
Welcome, Jules! I'm Gabrielle. I live in Pennsylvania, USA. I am 42 and have a 71 degree lumbar curve which I am having corrective surgery for next month. I hope you enjoy SSO and find you have new friends here! Have a great Christmas!

Marti
25th December 2004, 04:44 AM
Welcome! I'm 16 and from Chicago, USA. I had surgery about 1 1/2 years ago to correct my 45 degree curve. I hope you like it here! Merry Christmas to you too!

Amazed Jean
25th December 2004, 05:17 AM
Welcome Jules, I am the oldest SSOer (I think) I'm living in Edmond, Oklahoma but I'm originally from small farm and town near Chicago but in Indiana. USA I am unbraced and not had surgery either. I've got Big curves and love this site and everyone is really nice.

lindzi_11
25th December 2004, 05:22 AM
Hey ! My name is Lindsay and I'm 15 years old and from Ontario Canada. I just had sugery a lil over a month ago and I'm happy to say that it all went well and I'm HAPPY times a million that I got it done. I had a 70 degree curve and now its down to 12 degrees :D . I'm recovering very well also. Welcome to this site :niceone:

sins
25th December 2004, 12:51 PM
HI Jules and Welcome.
I'm from Ireland and have fused curves of 120/60. Charlotte has had her surgery at Nuffield and natasha too.I think Sarah (Tigger) is having her surgery there shortly.Hope you enjoy it on sso.
Sins

Blair
25th December 2004, 04:23 PM
Hi Jules! And happy holiday!

I'm Blair, from Michigan in the US. I'm 21 and had surgery a year ago, also with very good results!

Jonny
25th December 2004, 06:37 PM
Hiya Jules :-) I'm 16, live in Bedford and had my surgery in Stanmore this summer, also with good results!

Where abouts do you live?

elvinwarrior
25th December 2004, 11:04 PM
Hi, I'm Tesa, I'm 14 and had surgery in April for a curve of 54 degrees. (I've got another curve, but that's the one they opperated on.) I live in New Jersey.

andrea
26th December 2004, 11:12 AM
Hi Jules

Welcome to the board. I'm Andrea and my daughter Erin, 2, has infantile scoliosis with curves of 58 out of plaster and 35 in plaster. We live in London and are being treated at Stanmore.

Glad you found us, and happy Christmas to you too.

jfkimberly
27th December 2004, 01:05 PM
Hi Jules, I'm Kimberly. I live in Arkansas, in the U.S., and I finally got back from meeting many of this bunch for a Christmas party at tonibunny's in London. I'm 31, and I have severe congenital scoliosis, with an early fusion (no instrumentation). My biggest problem is reduced lung capacity (30%), but I manage okay as long as I don't get sick or try to move too fast or go up stairs or hills.

Right now I'm feeling pretty proud of myself because I survived the Five-Airport Quest for Home without assistance, while dragging at least one, and sometimes two, bags with me (read the thread "On the road, still" for more information). I start to get concerned sometimes when I feel lazy for days at a time, but then I encounter something like that and I prevail, and it reassures me that I'm still doing okay.

Jules
28th December 2004, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone
I live in gloucestershire, which isn't too far from oxford

I can't believe that I have found other people who have had surgery in the NOC!

My surgeon was Mr. Fairbank, who was really nice and I am really pleased with the results of the surgery!