PDA

View Full Version : Spinecor brace in UK

k_allman
16th February 2010, 10:47 PM
Can anyone tell me more about the way it works if we choose to go with a Spinecor brace for my 9 year old? Addenbrooke's hospital told us we could choose between a brace available on the NHS (they bought out something bright pink and covered in high school musical stickers that my daughter said looked like a flowerpot with the bottom cut off, I can't remember what it was called but it doesn't look like any pics I can find online!) and the spinecor which is only available privately.

Our medical insurance doesn't cover the spinecor and although we can probably muster up the to pay for it I'm confused about whether all the checkups are done on the NHS or not. I'm going to ask more questions at the hospital next week but wondered if anyone here had any experience of it? Brooke is really sporty and the general feeling seems to be that the spinecor would be the best option for her - I don't want to be picky over money at this stage but it would be nice to know what we can expect in terms of cost over the next 6 years or so!

titch
16th February 2010, 11:19 PM
Hmm - I'm pretty sure the Spinecor is available on the NHS in Sheffield, but in order to get treated there quickly you'd probably have to have a private consultation with one of the docs and transfer to their NHS list if appropriate - Spinecor is best for smaller curves, so it's a case of move fast if you want a chance at it working. Hopefully some of the other parents here with children using Spinecor will be able to reply soon, and may be able to give an idea on how long a brace lasts for - it's possible that by the time you factor in leave, travel costs and the like that if the brace will not need replacing often and the check ups can be done on the NHS at Addenbrookes, it might not be worth the hassle of trawling to Sheffield compared to buying the braces privately - *but* I say that in full ignorance of how much it would cost to buy.

The NHS hard braces are usually a type of TLSO (thoraco-lumbar-sacral-orthosis) - they're often referred to as Boston braces, although strictly speaking the Boston brace is a very specific type of TLSO, and there are many others. Did they say whether the brace would be custom fitted (ie moulded) to your daughter?

Anyway, :welcome2: :)

k_allman
17th February 2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. It never occured to me that the brace might be available on the NHS in other areas of the country, how annoying!

I have a long list of questions to ask next week at our appt. Last week's appt was we thought a yearly x ray followed by a no change in the 15% curve see you next year type visit and I stayed home with the baby. I wish I had gone now because all my information is coming from a 9 year old and a husband who doesn't like to ask questions! They won't know what's hit them next week when I turn up with my list!

GillyG
17th February 2010, 06:38 PM
Yes, Sheffield prescribe the spinecor on the NHS. As Titch says, the quickest route would be a private appointment in the first instance with either Mr Cole or Mr Breakwell and they will then transfer you to their NHS list.

Jash
25th February 2010, 04:10 PM
Thats interesting to know that you can get the brace on NHS. we were told that my son can't get anything like that on NHS. So we've looked at (Katharina) Schroth therapy & bracing privately. I guess its which NHS it is.>:|

k_allman
25th February 2010, 06:24 PM
we were told by mr conlan's team yesterday at a check up that there are very few NHS trusts taht offer it and most do not. i guess we're lucky enough that we can muster up the money for it and she has been given an appt next Friday we think to be fitted with it so things are moving nice and quickly. It is very annoying though that the old NHS postcode lottery has reared its head again, surely we've all paid te same amount of NI over the years, why should one trust offer it for free and the next one not.

focuspocus
21st April 2010, 08:27 AM
my daughter had her first appointment yesterday, at nine years old her primary curve is 46 degrees. Unfortunately our local hospital will not be able to help and will send us to Edinbugh (for which we may have to wait around 6 months). They suggested that the best option would be to be referred privately to Sheffield to be fitted for Spinecor as a rigid brace would apparently not be helpful in her case.

We would be seen in Sheffield in the next few weeks but not sure of cost, we were told that the initial fee would be around 1500 but does anyone know what payments are required for follow up appointments etc?

Any advice gratefuly received.

mark
21st April 2010, 02:49 PM
Usually a first consultation with a private surgeon would be around two hundred and fifty quid excluding x rays, mri scans or ct scans they are seperate and quite expensive

The top bob in Sheffield is Mr Cole (see the stuck thread in the general forum) entitled surgeons in the UK

Gilly G is the expert on Mr Cole and the hospital in SHeffield

I hope that helps

Mark

mark
21st April 2010, 02:51 PM
Here is a link to the thread i mentioned above

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/showthread.php?t=7250

GillyG
22nd April 2010, 01:19 AM
Hi there :wave:

I may be the resident expert on Mr Cole - lovely man - but I'm afraid I have no idea of the costs involved in private treatment :( My suggestion would be to e-mail him via the Sheffield Orthopaedics website (sheffieldorthopaedics.com) and ask for a run down of all the possible expenses that it would entail. Better to be forearmed as I don't think it will be cheap :p

focuspocus
22nd April 2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for your quick responses, I did get in touch with them yesterday. It seems like it will be quite a bit more than what I was initially told. Sadly I don't think we will be able to afford it and now at my wits end ,not sure what the best thing is to do. I think I need to research the brace a bit more, and perhaps look at seeing the Edinburgh consultant privately so we could see him quicker. A second opinion can't do any harm after all.

mark
22nd April 2010, 09:47 AM
[quote=focuspocus;158722]Thanks for your quick responses, I did get in touch with them yesterday [quote=focuspocus;158722]

I hope you get a quick favourable response

Jash
12th May 2010, 12:58 PM
my daughter had her first appointment yesterday, at nine years old her primary curve is 46 degrees. Unfortunately our local hospital will not be able to help and will send us to Edinbugh (for which we may have to wait around 6 months). They suggested that the best option would be to be referred privately to Sheffield to be fitted for Spinecor as a rigid brace would apparently not be helpful in her case.

We would be seen in Sheffield in the next few weeks but not sure of cost, we were told that the initial fee would be around 1500 but does anyone know what payments are required for follow up appointments etc?

Any advice gratefuly received.

Depending if she's been referred privately or NHS. worth checking Spine Corparation and/or Health Care Uk websites. they supply the braces in UK. :)