PDA

View Full Version : MRI - 11th Jan

Abbi
23rd December 2004, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, I just got home and my mum was like, "there is a letter from you from the hospital!" so I opened it and I have got an app. for a MRI 4th Jan! which is awesome, cos I didnt think I would hear anything until March! YAY!!! lol!
its in under two weeks....woooo!!!!! *does a little dance* :monkey:

Kaja
23rd December 2004, 02:17 PM
Yay! :D :jump: Did you know you were going to have a MRI? Because I never had one :P

Abbi
23rd December 2004, 02:30 PM
yeah I think so! I think the spinal nurse told us that I will have some scans and various other tests b4 another app with the surgeon! I am hoping that I will get to see the surgeon at easter!

andrea
23rd December 2004, 03:23 PM
That's great Abbi. At least it's a start to your tests and you must feel like you're getting somewhere now. Hope it all goes to plan. I'm sure it will.

Becky
23rd December 2004, 06:34 PM
You should get a consulation shortly after the MRI wont you? I Had a phone consultation about 6-8 week after my MRI. Although your waiting list seems to be a lot longer. I also got my MRI within 3 weeks of being told about it.

Abbi
23rd December 2004, 06:58 PM
I think I will be going to see the surgeon and having more tests in March/April (thats what the spinal nurse said) so thats not too long away!

Becky
23rd December 2004, 07:15 PM
I hope I will be having my op March/April, probally be later though knowing my luck! Or on my birthday! (19 isnt a special age though, id rather have my surgery)

Abbi
23rd December 2004, 07:28 PM
Aw thats brill becky! I hope you get a good date tho, not ur b'day! any age is special tho!!!!

elvinwarrior
23rd December 2004, 09:39 PM
Oooh, congrats for getting an appointment Abbi!!!

Abbi
24th December 2004, 12:28 AM
yeah i know, it rocks doesnt it!!! YAY LOL!!! SO excited!!! Its like in one week and 3days or sumthing....soo cool!
my mum asked me "do you think that a early MRI means an earlier operation?" I dont think it means that....cos its just when there is an app. free.....!

Joy
24th December 2004, 12:50 AM
You'll be fine Abbi!!

Becky
24th December 2004, 12:18 PM
My mum phoned the hospital today to see if they have a date yet and they told her to ring back 2 weeks after the new year and they will have a better idea. My mum told them that if they dont tell her then, then I want another check-up x-ray to make sure its not gone worse!

Abbi
24th December 2004, 01:58 PM
class! Best advice is to get bugging them....my mum does lots, and so I got an app. earlier! YAY!!!

Abbi
24th December 2004, 02:55 PM
grr....ok they have put it back to the 11th now (only a weeks difference - but still)!!!!!

Little~shedevil~dee
25th December 2004, 01:34 AM
yay for getting an appointment . i'm still waiting to hear about my scans , might get mum to phone after the new year

andrea
26th December 2004, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear it's been changed Abbi, but as you say, it's only a week, and that time will really fly by. Believe me, I know that a week can feel like a month sometimes, when you're so desperate for something to be done, but i'm hoping it will fly for you.

Abbi
26th December 2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks Andrea! Yes I know the week will fly by - it always does, I mean this week has for me, cos last week, I was waiting for my sister to come home from England and for my work placement to finish on fri and it went in so quick!
Thanks for your continued support everyone!!!

Abbi
26th December 2004, 11:06 PM
I know this aint an important "event" as such, but could sum1 add it into the SSO calender for me...i dunno how to *looks lost*
Thankies!

jfkimberly
27th December 2004, 12:14 PM
Congrats on getting an MRI appointment, Abbi... sorry about the delay, but it's only a week. Not bad, considering the time frame you're dealing with.

That reminds me... I should try calling the ortho clinic in the morning to ask about my referral.

Abbi
27th December 2004, 05:50 PM
yeah....sorry to ask, but are you wating to have surgery...i forget - lots of people!

jfkimberly
27th December 2004, 07:15 PM
Are you asking me?

Abbi
27th December 2004, 09:45 PM
Yeah! I dont really know what your scoli situation is....there is a lot of ppl to remember on here and on spinekids!

jfkimberly
28th December 2004, 10:30 AM
hahaha Okay, well, I had surgery, but it was 30 years ago, when I was just under a year old. I have congenital scoliosis, and it was so severe that casting didn't work for me at all, and they had to stop the progression. I was 'corrected' to 60 degrees and fused. I didn't have any rods or anything, just the bone graft. After the surgery, I was in a cast for several months to stabilize my spine while the fusion took. Except, it didn't take in at least one spot, so I had pseudoarthrosis, and had to have a revision when I was 18 months old.

Of course, this all had to be thoracic, so I have significantly diminished lung capacity now... my chief complaint.

Abbi
28th December 2004, 04:14 PM
aw ok! so what is your curve degree now? and what more can be done? wow it was corrected to 60 degrees? what was it before?
What is your lung capacity now?

jfkimberly
28th December 2004, 07:36 PM
My curve before the fusion wasn't accurately measured... or if it was, there is no record of it now. Now I've got a 60-degree fused thoracic curve, and a ~48-degree compensatory lumbar curve that's uncorrected. I'm not sure what can be done for me at this point. I've consulted three orthopedists, and am awaiting a consult with another to find out if they can help with my lung capacity. It's about 30%.

lindzi_11
28th December 2004, 07:41 PM
I have an appoitment on the 11th too haha.

Abbi
28th December 2004, 09:11 PM
ooo cool.....what is that for lindsey.....a post op thingy me bobber.....?

lindzi_11
29th December 2004, 04:04 AM
Ya... its like a check up appointement to make sure everything is healing okay and x-rays etc etc. And i'm excited for it times a million!! (mainly cuz i'm doing well then most people ... i don't mean to brag but i'm doing WAY better than most people would be at this stage.)

ps..abbi my name is spelled Lindsay..hehe don't worry about tho haha i don't mind haha.

Abbi
29th December 2004, 09:46 AM
Lindsay - sorry I spelt your name wrong....oops! Well gd luck for your app. I hope it goes well!

Kim - oh my word 30% lung capacity wow!!! isnt it hard for you to breathe!! aww *hugs*

jfkimberly
29th December 2004, 02:54 PM
I can't breathe deep enough, so I constantly feel like I'm panting. I'm usually okay if I don't try to move too fast or go upstairs/uphill. But sometimes, like after a big meal, even when I'm at rest I'm breathless (stomach fullness further compromises my ability to take a deep breath... there's just not enough room in my chest/abdomen).

Joy
29th December 2004, 05:18 PM
Lindsay - when was your op again? I can't remember the exact date, just that it was november/early december ish. Sorry... I have a bad memory. *blushes*

EDIT : It was in early or mid november, right? (I looked up your surgery thread)

lindzi_11
29th December 2004, 05:31 PM
November 10th was the date. But I would have gone for an appointement sooner but the hospital is Toronto and thats quite a ways. And its a busy time of year.

Abbi
29th December 2004, 08:29 PM
How do they measure your lung thingy.....ermm capacity...yeah thats the word! lol

BlueIce
29th December 2004, 08:33 PM
I believe you have to blow inside a tube, and they measure it somehow :-) Never had to do it myself though, but I've heard about it.

jfkimberly
29th December 2004, 09:41 PM
There are various tests they do, all involving blowing or breathing through a tube. The most common test has you put your mouth around a tube attached to a machine/computer and inhale as much as you can, exhale everything (and keep pushing until you're about to pass out), and then suck in air again as deep as you can. They'll typically do two or three trials and see if they're consistent, then go with the largest result. Based on your height (as measured by armspan if you've got a spinal anomaly), they expect a certain result. When I say I've got 30% lung capacity, it means that my volume is 30% of expected.

At least, that's my understanding of the percentage.

tonibunny
29th December 2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Dec 29 2004, 02:54 PM
I But sometimes, like after a big meal, even when I'm at rest I'm breathless (stomach fullness further compromises my ability to take a deep breath... there's just not enough room in my chest/abdomen).

Oooh Kimberly I get this too! I'll be sitting at the computer or something, and suddenly be out of breath without exerting myself at all. I don't think it's a real problem in my case though - my lung function is 47% which is quite reasonable really.

jfkimberly
30th December 2004, 01:09 PM
It's not a real problem for me, either... unless I need to exert myself when I'm already feeling breathless. Then I'm kind of in a pinch, because I'm already doing the best I can just to sit there and keep up with my oxygen demand. But I'm retired now, and there aren't really too many places that I must go, so when I don't feel up to it I don't go anywhere.

Abbi
30th December 2004, 03:34 PM
wow that all sounds pretty - erm complicated, like all the tests, but im sure it will be fun! lol
At the moment my chest can be pretty tight at times.....so i will be interested to know what my LC is!
Is there like a "normal" level or sumthing! and is there a cut off point for you not to have surgery....like cos obviously ur lungs play a bug part in surgery....

jfkimberly
31st December 2004, 08:24 AM
It depends on the type of surgery, and whether there is any expected benefit to your lungs if you have it. For example, you can't have a costoplasty if your lung capacity is below 50 or 60%, because it further reduces your volume.

In my experience, the pulmonary function tests are not fun because they want you to try as hard as you can, and I always get a headache from the effort. They coach me to keep push-push-push-pushing, so I try... even though I have absolutely nothing left in my lungs and I really need to be breathing in already. Maybe it's different for people who have bigger volume. Anybody?

Abbi
1st January 2005, 09:39 PM
is a costoplasty the removal of a rib?

sins
1st January 2005, 09:54 PM
With 49% lung capacity, I had no problems with the lung function tests.Just follow the technician's instructions carefully and it'll be so easy.
Costoplasty is the reshaping of one or more ribs.
Sins

Abbi
1st January 2005, 10:26 PM
aw ok, well i hope my LC is over 60 cos my ribs bother me SO much, they stuck out and i hate them!

lindzi_11
1st January 2005, 10:43 PM
Do you plan on having thoracplasty done abbi?

Abbi
1st January 2005, 10:52 PM
well if the surgeon can do it and if he thinks its a good idea, cos my ribs stick out so bad
did u have one done? and does it make any improvement?

lindzi_11
2nd January 2005, 05:01 AM
No, I backed outta it 5min before surgery lol. I just wanted less pain.. and if my ribs were REALLY bad after surgery it was no problem for the docter to fix it. In the end turns out I didn't need thoracplasty ... theres not much of a hump now t all :D

jfkimberly
2nd January 2005, 05:48 AM
Oh, that's good Lindzi! I meant to ask if you thought you might have to go back for another op later, but it sounds like you don't need to. Good choice!

Abbi
2nd January 2005, 04:52 PM
did u have a hump b4....cos i feel that my hump is very big, and that if i had it removed it would be better!
Has anyone had one or two removed, and what is it like now?
I suppose I will go with the advice of my surgeon in the end up

BlueIce
2nd January 2005, 04:56 PM
I wish I had mine removed, because it's quite difficult to sit in a straight chair. Can't push the bloody thing away anymore :-) Couches and stuff like that are no problem.
I might have it removed (if possible) next year or something

Abbi
2nd January 2005, 05:06 PM
I prob will have it done then....just to get it oput of the way....even though it may mean more pain....at least I will only need one major op

Jonny
2nd January 2005, 06:04 PM
It definitely means more pain but it's very much worth it once everything's stabilised and healed :-) my back, unless you try to feel the thoracoplasty (and then you can feel the ends of the resected ribs) is completely even!

lindzi_11
2nd January 2005, 06:15 PM
Well I had a pretty big curve.... and my hump stuck out alot. My I had such a good correction that the hump I have now is like barely noticable and you can barely see it.

Tweety Pie
3rd January 2005, 12:12 AM
Kimberly,

A few posts back you said that you can't have a costoplasty if your lung capacity is below 50 or 60% because it further reduces your volume.
Does this mean that having a costoplasty reduces lung capacity in every case?

jfkimberly
3rd January 2005, 02:10 AM
I think Toni could better answer the question... I think she's got more information than I have on it, because a costoplasty was never a consideration for me. But my understanding is that it does.

Abbi
3rd January 2005, 01:37 PM
how much more pain do you have? Jonny, you had it doen didn't you?

Jonny
3rd January 2005, 05:11 PM
At the beginning I couldn't tell if pain was from the thoracoplasty or the fusion, but I think the thoracoplasty was about roughly as painful as the fusion. If you're on effective painkillers it should be OK. Unfortunately, I found the pain from the thoracoplasty continued to be worse for longer, but suddenly it'll get much better when the ribs stabilise, and completely go when they heal :-)

Abbi
3rd January 2005, 07:35 PM
so do u think I should go for it or not! not that I need to make a decision like that yet

BlueIce
3rd January 2005, 08:21 PM
I'd go for it (I had surgery, but they didn't ask me if I wanted thoraco/costoplasty so it didn't happen). I kinda regret nog having it done at the same time, I think I could have dealt with the extra pain. But ask your surgeon about it, because they asked Lindsay if she wanted it too and at the end she didn't really need it.

Abbi
4th January 2005, 10:33 PM
Hey, ok my MRI is next week - yay! im actaully pretty excited about that! im i a freak cos i am excited? hmm....yes!
well yesh, its all very cool, cos its kinna another thing done of the many things I will prob need done b4 surgery!

elvinwarrior
5th January 2005, 12:05 AM
Don't worry, it's not freakish to be excited; that's one more thing out of the way, and you're getting closer and closer to the realm of surgery. :-)

Abbi
6th January 2005, 01:02 AM
ok im sorry, for all the Qs i ask, I am sure you r all sick of me! but does an MRI show up if your scoli is doing damage to your lungs?

Jonny
6th January 2005, 01:08 AM
As far as I know scoliosis doesn't do damage to lungs, but by nature, unless it's a very high or low curve, it reduces lung capacity. They'll know that that's happening, and they'll measure your lung capacity and strength separately. An MRI is really just to look at the nerves, bones and joints of the spinal column.

jfkimberly
6th January 2005, 03:50 AM
Scoliosis doesn't actually damage your lungs -- meaning the lung tissue remains healthy for the most part. The concern is that a severe curve (especially thoracic) will reduce the size of your chest cavity, so your lungs can't fully inflate.

As Jonny said, the MRI is used to look at the spinal column, etc. To assess your lung capacity, you'll generally have a pulmonary function test. I did have a chest CT to look at the structure of my chest cavity, but I don't think this is common. (I don't know the results of the CT, because I haven't had a follow-up appointment since it was done in October.)

lindzi_11
6th January 2005, 04:15 AM
Hmm... not sure if this has anything to do with this topic here... but when I was in the hospital on morphine, they put on way too much that my chest was filling up with fluids and my lungs was apparently collapsing and I wasn't breathing properly. And being since all the morphine I was on I barely remember this lol.

Abbi
6th January 2005, 10:14 AM
c what i meant was....does it harm your LC...and as u sed it may reduce it!
thanks guys

Jonny
6th January 2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by lindzi_11@Jan 6 2005, 04:15 AM
Hmm... not sure if this has anything to do with this topic here... but when I was in the hospital on morphine, they put on way too much that my chest was filling up with fluids and my lungs was apparently collapsing and I wasn't breathing properly. And being since all the morphine I was on I barely remember this lol.
When you have anterior surgery, your spine will bleed and cause haemothorax (blood in the chest, around the lungs) unless you make sure it's drained with a chest drain. But if you didn't have anterior surgery, that's not good :-? there are names for different things occupying the chest cavity I think - haemothorax means blood, pneumothorax means air and is why a lung puncture makes it collapse, chylothorax is lymph, hydrothorax is watery stuff, and empyema is when it's pus in the chest. When they get onto the outside of the lung, in the pleural space, they will make your lungs collapse :woe: do you know which stuff it was and why morphine made that happen?

Becky
6th January 2005, 06:13 PM
When you have anterior surgery, your spine will bleed and cause haemothora

What do you mean your spine will bleed Jonny? Is there blood in it? That sounds like a really silly question but im confused!?!?

elvinwarrior
6th January 2005, 11:01 PM
... I really didn't need to think about my spine bleeding. :-o

Jonny
6th January 2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry... but when they do the surgery, the raw edges of bone do bleed, although they cauterise as much as possible to control blood loss. That's why you need the chest drain.

elvinwarrior
9th January 2005, 01:34 AM
:-o

Jonny
9th January 2005, 01:09 PM
It's not that much blood, but any surgery is going to cause a little bleeding... and they just need to keep the pleural space clean and blood-free with the drain.

Becky
9th January 2005, 10:03 PM
Its too late now Jonny!! You'v scared us all!

Jonny
10th January 2005, 12:25 AM
:cry: :ignore:

...you bleed when you nick yourself with a razor...does that help? :cry:

*digs*

Becky
10th January 2005, 06:04 PM
It really hurts when you cut yourself with a razor!!!! :cry:

BlueIce
10th January 2005, 06:05 PM
try doing the same with an epilady :| that's what happens when you cant reach the back of your knee properly anymore

Becky
10th January 2005, 06:09 PM
Im glad ill only be having a short fusion, it wont be as difficult to shave my legs!

Becky
10th January 2005, 09:02 PM
Have fun at your MRI tomorrow Abbi. I was going to say good luck, but you seem fine with having it! Just make sure you take a decent CD! Let us know how you get on :squeeze: .

Abbi
10th January 2005, 10:11 PM
Awe, thanks becky! Yeah I am ok with it, I hope they allow me to take a CD - I dnt have a portable thingy, it broke - so hopefully they have sum sort of CD system - If i can have one I will be taking a really loud one - lol!!!
Yeah I will let you all know how i get on!

Jonny
10th January 2005, 11:25 PM
They wouldn't let someone take a CD player in with the magnetic field in there - it'd make it grow legs and arms and it would climb out the scanner and start attacking people. They don't even let you take your glasses into the room. They should have a pair of earphones you can put on when you get in the tube :-) unfortunately only one of the ears worked on the pair they gave me, and I could only hear the music in the gaps in the banging, but it was there and relaxing.

Little~shedevil~dee
11th January 2005, 12:01 AM
Good luck Abbi

butterflylr
11th January 2005, 12:23 AM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes! :-)

Abbi
11th January 2005, 11:47 AM
awe, u guys r so cute, thanks! I am just going to leave in 10mins, so yeah i will let you all know how it goes!
I hope I can gently persuade my mum to go shopping - lol!!!!

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
11th January 2005, 01:20 PM
Good luck Abbi.
Hope all goes well,
Sorry I'm late (pre-occupied).