PDA

View Full Version : Surgery two weeks from tomorrow

angelsfan
23rd December 2004, 04:32 AM
hi everyone. sorry i havent posted lately. been busy since surgery is just two weeks from tomorrow. getting kind of nervous now. It's scarry to think i will be on the table for like 6 hours. i officially stopped wearing my milwaukee on monday per my doctor, god its great not having to wear it but i feel so weird without it. i can really feel my body being bent and twisted. my curve is now 46 degrees. i hate the way i feel and when I look at myself in teh mirror, i can really see the scoliosis. i look forward to getting rid of that but i guess i am kind of scared now about the surgery. anyone feel the way i do?

lindzi_11
23rd December 2004, 06:41 AM
Heyy ... I just got surgery over a month ago. And yah I was scared too... but the people here gave me TONZ of confidence and support and that helped alot. Omg surgery is SO worth it!! I'm so glad I went through with it. You'll feel so much better after. You have nothing to worry about, the docters know what they're doing and will keep you in good hands. The first few days after surgery are tough but after that it gets easier and easier. Just keep thinking positive thoughts! If you don't post back here before ur surgery i wish you tonz of luck! No worries :D

sins
23rd December 2004, 10:16 AM
Don't be worried about the surgery.You're having it done at the right time before the curve becomes too severe.You should get a fabulous correction and when it's all done noone will ever even know you've had scoliosis.I wore a milwaulkee when I was a kid but the surgery wasn't done in time and my curve ended up being uncorrectable.
Upper thoracic curves can be very deforming and i'm happy to see that this will never be a problem for you.Look at it from two perspectives,a good correction and increased self confidence and never having to suffer the lung/respiratory problems that some of us oldies have.
You won't regret it.
Sins

titch
23rd December 2004, 11:43 AM
It's normal to be scared by the surgery, it is a huge thing to go through. I'm going to echo the others though - it really is *so* worth it - corrections these days are very good, and just the relief of not having to worry that it's getting worse any more is incredible. Also, getting it done at this time of year, just think, by the time summer comes, you'll have a whole new you ready for it :-)

tonibunny
23rd December 2004, 02:06 PM
I can't add anything really, except GOOD LUCK!!! and make sure that you get spoilt rotten in hospital :joke: We're all here to help you recover afterwards and answer any questions that you have.....as you can see, some of our members have had surgery quite recently, and they're all doing really well now :D

Blair
23rd December 2004, 02:30 PM
Hey... Best of luck! Try to keep yourself busy between now and then... That really helped me in the final days before my surgery a year ago.
I'll bet you'll get a wonderful correction of your curve, too. I had a 52 degree curve, and it was almost 100% corrected by my surgery. I have nice, level shoulders, and my waist is a lot more symetrical. It was worth it.

Abbi
23rd December 2004, 03:14 PM
GOOD LUCK! You will do brill! Dont worry about it hun, cos surgery liek everyone says im sure is worth it!
I will be praying for you!
hope it goes well!

andrea
23rd December 2004, 04:25 PM
Good luck with the surgery. I don't have any experience of it myself, so can't really add to the good advice already given, but I really hope you get a great correction and are back to yourself really quickly.

butterflylr
23rd December 2004, 07:48 PM
Good luck! I hope all goes well for you! I am sure the doctors will do a fabulous job!

elvinwarrior
23rd December 2004, 10:35 PM
Good luck!!!!!!!! I'm sure everything will be fine, and you'll feel sooo much better when it's all done with.

Jonny
23rd December 2004, 11:17 PM
As everyone said:

- 6 hours? Hours schmours, they put the gunk into your hand and then you wake up and I guarantee you will ask, "Is that it?" or, "Is it done yet?"
- It is SO worth it. If you don't think so when you wake up, you will do within a couple of weeks. What did it for me was coming home after surgery and looking at my new body in the mirror.
- Keep a positive attitude and you'll do fine. :-)

Jonny

Abbi
24th December 2004, 01:41 AM
Good advice Jonny!!! I do agree with the whole hours thing...i mean ur guna b asleep....and ur parents will have to wait for you....it will b like one moment in the prep room, next in recovery/ICU!
You will do fab!

Joy
24th December 2004, 04:44 AM
I can't really had anything, but like everyone said it's normal to be nervous. Try to stay busy between now and your surgery, make sure you have lots to eat the night before. I had surgery almost two years ago and it really is worth it! Try to remember that is the few days after surgery when you haven't seen the results yet. Yes, there is a lot of pain, but it fade pretty quickly. And you should get really good correction, since your curve is pretty low (in terms of surgery curves). My thoracic curve was corrected from 90 to 50 and I look a *lot* straighter!

Let us know how it goes!! We'll be here if you need support.

Kayla
24th December 2004, 08:06 AM
Good Luck Brian! I hope you pull through with a smile!

Ryansmum
24th December 2004, 10:53 AM
Good Luck from me and Ryan :D I'm sure you'll do really well and there are loads of people on here who will be able to help guide you through the post op days try not to worry too much enjoy your Christmas :squeeze:

BlueIce
24th December 2004, 12:54 PM
Surgery's been almost half a year ago for me and as everyone else has said, it's really worth it. My posture looks SO much better now and even though I've lost a lot of flexibility (but that's because I had a long fusion which I don't think you will need) I have no regrets. I'm even willing to have a second surgery to correct my hump. The first week was though for me, but after I got home it all got so much better. I'd say the boredom was worse than the pain :-)
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask because there's bound to be someone who can answer them for you.
Good luck!!

gabrielle
24th December 2004, 11:08 PM
Best o' luck to you! If it makes you feel any better, you're not alone on the surgery detail for the month of January. I'll be having mine on the 17th. Maybe we can compare a few notes here later on! Hopes and prayers are with you.

Abbi
26th December 2004, 11:43 PM
wow I know a lot of ppl having surgery soon now! Brain, Gabrielle, and 2 girls from spinekids!!! wow....lol!
Well GOOD LUCK to you all!
I am totally here to support you

jfkimberly
27th December 2004, 01:11 PM
My scoliosis surgeries were done when I was a baby and I don't remember them, but I did have a five-hour operation 3 years ago... Jonny's absolutely right. They put something in your IV, and you wake up what seems like a few minutes later feeling amazed that it's over with.

I want to echo everybody else, too... you'll be fine, and you'll be SO glad you did this. Try not to be scared, because you get to sleep through it all... Let your parents do all the worrying for you. *smile* And like toni said, make sure you get spoilt rotten in the hospital. You deserve it!

Becky
28th December 2004, 04:45 PM
Whenever I mention my op, my mum says I have nothing to worry about and that its her that should be worried because she'll be the one waiting for 5 hours!! he he!

Abbi
28th December 2004, 05:12 PM
yeh, she sez that now becky, but maybe not when you get your date! At the moment, my mum is like aww pet do you have to go thru this?
I wish I could just straighten your back out! and that annoys me more than ever, cos well she cant....and I know that she is worried, but im not so why should she?

andrea
28th December 2004, 05:21 PM
Because that's what we mums do Abbi - it's in the job description. Even though you aren't worried, your mum will always worry about what is right for you and your wellbeing. You can't stop it, so don't try or get annoyed with her. Be grateful you've got a mum who cares so much about you and will be there when you need her. Give her a big hug :D

Abbi
28th December 2004, 08:13 PM
Aw yeah i will.....i no i dont appreciate her, she has been awesome to me! like she calls the hospital loads and everything! my mum rocks!