PDA

View Full Version : my hip

Marti
21st December 2004, 01:53 AM
I thought the stupid thing was over. Sure, it hurt from time to time. But never a lot. But now that it's cold every time I go outside I come back in and just want to curl up in bed. And it's just the beginning of our winter. Chicago's real cold winter starts in December and ends in Late February or March... sometimes even April. And I still have two more winters before I can leave, but I like the cold. I don't know what to do. I rarely if ever get back pain, but my stupid hip is driving me insane. I do all my stretches and everything from PT. I know I should tell my doctor when I next go, but I don't think PT will help all that much, and even if it does, it stresses me out too much to be worth it. I just don't know what to do.

Amazed Jean
21st December 2004, 03:59 AM
Marti, Sorry you're having trouble with the hip. Maybe trya little heat pad on it and take an advil. I have had a knee bother me in cold weather and the heating pad usually works.

titch
21st December 2004, 09:39 AM
It might be worth trying those heat patches on it, as they're designed to last several hours, so putting one on before going out if you're going to be out for a while might help - not sure of brands, but you can buy them across here made by Nurofen I think. They've got levomenthol in them to give the heating effect.

I know it's miserable as heck when you get a set back, especially when things have been going well. I know what you mean about liking the cold but not getting on with it - the last couple of winters have been hard on me, but if it wasn't for my back and hip I actually prefer winter, getting all snuggled up in big jumpers and thick wooly socks and stuff.

If there's any chance that your room is too cold at night, or that you need a thicker quilt, it's worth sorting out, as I know my hip is worse if I get cold at night. Also, if your bed isn't that soft, a mattress topper could help - I'm much more prone to attacks of inflammation in my hip when I'm at my uncle's place, or away somewhere, so that I'm sleeping on a hard bed.

Hope it settles really quickly :squeeze:

sins
21st December 2004, 12:08 PM
That sucks.You're really in the wars at the moment, between chest infections, sore ribs and now the hip problem.All I can suggest is rest and relaxation and take some painkillers until it passes.At least you know that after the last time it'll eventually pass.
Sins

Kaja
21st December 2004, 04:46 PM
Aww.. You should try the heating pad! I hope you feel better soon, that there's something you can do to be in less pain..

Makes me glad I don't get pain because of the cold.. :roll: Because the winters up here (way above the arctic circle), are VERY long and VERY cold.. :-o

Marti
21st December 2004, 10:33 PM
I completely forgot about those pads! I should go out and get some, becuase that probably would help. My room's on the third floor, so it's certainly not too cold. In fact, at the moment, it's sweltering. it's just so irritating that I feel like I rarely get pain, but then my stupid hip flares up.