PDA

View Full Version : Pilates

Becky
20th December 2004, 07:21 PM
I have been getting a bit of back ache, and my dad reckons one of them pilate machines will help, we saw a programme on QVC (trying to sell them) and it said they are good if you have scoliosis.

I was just wandering if any of you have used one and are they any good?

tonibunny
20th December 2004, 07:29 PM
Pilates machines? I've not heard of those.....do you have a link? Sounds very interesting! I know Pilates is great for helping to strengthen an unfused spine, as it helps to build up the stomach muscles to support your lower back.

BlueIce
20th December 2004, 07:56 PM
ab exercises are good too. I've been having aches in my lower back lately but since I've been doing some PT for them it's much better. They're really not hard at all, just like you would do a sit up but only your head and neck comes up from the ground.

butterflylr
20th December 2004, 10:49 PM
Well I don't know much about Pilates but from what I know it is somewhat like yoga. I went to a yoga class a few times and it helped a little bit. I also bought a yoga tape for scoliosis. It's kind of nice because it shows you how to do the stretches in the most beneficial and safe way for what your curves are. You can get it at this address:

Yoga for Scoliosis (http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com/)

You can also purchase a booklet that shows all of the moves as well. I bought the package that came with both. You will also need 2 yoga straps - 1 6ft one and 1 10ft one and a chair.

Kayla
20th December 2004, 11:10 PM
I have heard of yoga and pilates really helpig ut I have never heared of a pilates machine

Abbi
21st December 2004, 12:20 AM
hmmm...never heard of it. Is it like a TENS machine?

Lieve
21st December 2004, 12:48 AM
Here you can see the Pilates equipment: http://www.pilates.com/

butterflylr
21st December 2004, 01:40 AM
Those are totally wacky! I don't think I could do the acrobatics like that on there! I'd probably hurt myself! :D

sins
21st December 2004, 01:05 PM
A lot of chain stores here are selling pilates equipment/machines very cheaply.They range from ropes to balls to some downright weird stuff.Seeing as yoiur spine isn't fused, I'd say go with your dad's advice and give the Pilates a shot.On the other hand if your fusion is coming soon, I wouldn't bother investing the money in pilates equipment just yet.
Sins

Tweety Pie
21st December 2004, 02:53 PM
When I went to see my consultant last October he recommended pilates.
I have been doing various classes and would recommend going to classes so that you see what pilates is all about.Going to classes is also an incentive to do the work out!

Pilates is a gentle form of exercise with about 34 or so basic moves.I believe it has helped me .I certainly feel the difference when I have not been going .Some teachers use equipment in their classes such as elastic and pilates balls.

I hope you enjoy it!

Becky
21st December 2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks Lieve you saved me a job of finding it! Thats exactly what I meant. I watched a work out on QVC and I dont think you start so advanced Lindsay!!

My dad seems quite keen, but I have my op early next year (not got an exact date yet) so I think I should speak to my surgeon at my next consultation. If I can use it, say, 12 months ish after my op then I could get the use out of it. It'll keep me fit aswell!

Becky
11th January 2005, 06:10 PM
My dads bought a pilate machine, its not arrived yet though. Ill let you all know if its any good after a while!

On the topic of exercise, Iv been doing the Coronation Street girls dance workout dvd, when I do a certain position, I get a kind off pain in my lower back on the right side, it feels like a bone's pushing it. I was wandering whether my spine may twist slightly aswell. Is there any terminology for that? Iv never spoke to my surgeon about the extent of my curvature, so im just guessing.

Abbi
11th January 2005, 07:26 PM
I get a bit of pain on my left side, like when u touch it, it hurts - i think there is a bone pushing into me, but im not sure what that is called!
Your spine is twisted becky, thats sorta what scoli does, it can curve and twist the spine, i wouldnt worry about it, cos u will have it fixed soon!!! :D

DublinPauline
11th January 2005, 07:33 PM
On the subject of Pilates, I have done classes and found it good - if only I would do the exercises daily or keep them up when the course finishes. :roll: I'm trying to find a class to sign up for this Spring in fact.

For anyone with scoliosis, fused or unfused, I would recommend doing at least an initial course with a trained instructor, ideally a physiotherapist, who can direct you as to what moves you should and shouldn't do.

Becky
11th January 2005, 07:37 PM
Your spine is twisted becky, thats sorta what scoli does, it can curve and twist the spine

I thought it was just curved to the side, but it does feel like its twisted, or it could just be my wild imagination. Ill soon find out though!