PDA

View Full Version : One Year!

Blair
15th December 2004, 12:37 PM
Wow. Today is the 1 yr anniversary of my surgery!

Guess I can start riding my horses again... :P

And to celebrate, I just got a lecture about me not working colts from my mother.... :twak: :yawn:

titch
15th December 2004, 01:24 PM
Happy Anniversary! :D

I think it's just difficult for people outside it to understand anything to do with it. I had a classic from my mum the other day - I've upset the bottom of my back quite badly, it's a fair bet I've damaged a disc. So she asked how my back was, I did the usual "Oh, it's alright", but she picked up on my tone, so I told her. Response? "You can't possibly have hurt your back, it's all fixed" - she's a nurse, you'd think she might understand!!! And on the other hand, if I want to do anything that doesn't quite fit worldview, "You can't do that, think of your back" :rant: :lol:

jamiebug44
15th December 2004, 03:05 PM
Happy anniversary Blair:)

Kaja
15th December 2004, 03:49 PM
YAY! Ahh, they are so much fun! Congrats :D

Kayla
15th December 2004, 03:55 PM
WoooooHooooooo Congrats!!

Abbi
15th December 2004, 04:37 PM
YAY!!! congrats! Hope you have fun riding your horses again! Well done Blair!

butterflylr
15th December 2004, 05:56 PM
YAY! Congrats! :bounce: :jump: :party:

lindzi_11
15th December 2004, 06:35 PM
YaY! CONGRATS!!

Becky
15th December 2004, 10:24 PM
Its great that you are doing so well after 12 months Blair. It gives me the confidence about having my operation!

Lieve
15th December 2004, 11:02 PM
Congrats Blair!

It's great you can ride horses again! :P

sins
15th December 2004, 11:08 PM
Congrats on your first year as a fused person!!! :bounce: Why does your mother not want you to work the colts?
Sins

elvinwarrior
16th December 2004, 12:11 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Jonny
16th December 2004, 12:28 AM
Congratulations Blair :-D I remember your surgery, and that reminds me I've been around for 14 months!

Would you say all the pain you got immediately post-op has now settled?

Joy
16th December 2004, 03:54 AM
Congrats, Blair. Doesn't it feel good to think "hey, I survived"?

Amazed Jean
16th December 2004, 05:12 AM
I'll celebrate with you. Congratulations on your one year of fusion! Can I celebrate yet another year of confusion? I will never figure out my mother either. Like you know she lives with us and does tons of things for us like laundry and window washings and dusting but sometimes I could just be really rude and say Shut Up Mom. I don't but sometimes everyone's mother gets to them. I just bite my lip and try to remember these feelings when I am dealing with my daughter.

Blair
16th December 2004, 06:28 AM
Sins- my mum is paranoid about me getting smashed about by the colts and damaging my fusion, or what's left below....
She gave me a choice... Work colts or keep Andy. I'm NOT happy.

Jonny- Aside from my muscle spasam problem (which is ongoing), my back feels really good. It's probably less painful than it was before my surgery.

I was pleased at my last PT session- the PTA who worked on me before is working on me again... And he says I have a LOT of my normal muscle tone back... So... One more thing on the road back to "normal"

jfkimberly
16th December 2004, 10:17 AM
Congratulations and happy anniversary Blair! I didn't know your surgery was so recent when I joined.

andrea
16th December 2004, 10:54 AM
Congratulations Blair. For me, the last year has just flown by, although it probably feels like it's been a long one for you.

Sorry to hear your mum is being a pain - that's not easy to deal with.

Blair
16th December 2004, 01:52 PM
Sometimes it feels like this year has gone on forever. The first few months were like that. Worring that maybe that's as good as you'll ever feel, or look, or that it's as much as you'll ever be able to do with yoursef. That's the tough part.
But looking back now, I know all that worry wasn't justified...
And once I started riding again, things got better.

I'm back to thinking hard about trying to qualify for the national equitation finals when I'm done with college. My last two gos at that were cut short- first by my being put into ICU for a week four years ago by a horse at the barn I worked at. By the time I was ready to get back to it, the horse I was using had to be retired due to some serious health issues. And then a couple years later I bought Andy, but then my scoliosis got bad....

Marti
17th December 2004, 03:19 AM
Congrats Blair!

Blair
22nd December 2004, 03:58 AM
Well, tomorrow is my "1 yr" visit with my surgeon.

Have a few things to discuss...

Mostly, my ongoing trouble with muscle spasams... After just a few nights at my new job, all the work done the last 2.5 weeks in physical therapy was mostly undone. I once again have a bunch of crunchy, gravelly muscles in my back. (stupid commercial grade carpet over cement floors... NOT very nice.... Then with all the bending/reaching/ getting up and down I have to do... ) :( Mom wants to ask about a pain clinic... I don't know though... I know I hurt when my back gets like that. But I'm not walking around going "Ow Ow Ow Ow" and gimping about... It mostly just wears me down and makes me feel depressed... Plus... It doesn't get in my way of much of anything (aside from being totally comfortable). I can do everything I did before my surgery. So I'm not sure if it would be worth the time/money...
Also, going to ask for a bit of a heart to heart on my limitations... Kicking mum out of the room for that one though... That's just for my ears... I want to know what I can realistically expect from myself in the coming years. Not giving mom more ammo with which to nag and pester me.

Blair
22nd December 2004, 10:59 PM
Just got back from the surgeon.

First things first... My concern with curving more below the fusion... Yes, it has increased some. But not severely. So... No worries there.

I asked about scar revision, and he thinks I'm a good candidate for it as the scar is kind of slack. He gave me the name of a plastic surgeon. I called though, and they don't accept our insurance (have never found a place yet that didn't take the insurance my mom has...)... I tried to call my surgeon, but I guess they closed a couple minutes early today. So I'm going to ring them tomorrow to see if they can recommend somebody else.
I know my scar isn't ghastly or anything like that... But as much as I'd like not to be, and just have it be something that makes me unique, I am a little self conscious about it. It'll be nice to have it tidied up some.

About the muscle spasams... My surgeon wasn't too concerned about it... So probably will be finding a new GP (closer to home, with more connections... The dr I usually see is kind of out of the loop...) and having them work on addressing the problem... Hopefully will get that all squared away before going back to school...

He also wasn't comfortable with giving me a set of limitations since each case is individual.

I go back in a year. It feels kind of funny to have this part of my life be over with...

Blair
23rd December 2004, 02:37 AM
Oh ya... I also ordered a copy of my "before" x-rays. they will be mailed to me in a few days, and then I will get a pic of them for the gallery.

elvinwarrior
23rd December 2004, 04:25 AM
Can you easily order x-rays?

Blair
23rd December 2004, 04:31 AM
Depends on the system they use.
My surgeon's office can usually print off a duplicate in a couple of minutes time. All the records are kept in the office and are readily handy. Today they were busy, so they just will be mailing mine in a few days
Other surgeons I've been to have a digital system and you can get them on CD
It depends a bit on the setup of the system though... One surgeon I saw at a University medical center, all the X-rays were handled by a separate department, and so it was difficult to get copies made.
It costs $7 an xray through my surgeon... So $14 to get a full scoliosis film done...