PDA

View Full Version : thoracic boston brace

aksor
15th January 2010, 07:59 PM
Hi, my daughter is 11 and has been diagnosed with thoracic scholiosis just a year ago. She has 30 degrees curvature. She just got a molding done for her brace and will be getting fitted in two weeks......does anyone know if she will still be able to wear skinny jeans and jeans that sit on the hips...what can she wear....I'm hoping she can still wear her clothes.....she has a very good attitued and is handling the news very well, but I'm scared that clothing limitations might upset her........

cherrybird
16th January 2010, 08:28 PM
She may be able to wear skinny jeans that sit just under the edge of the brace. I had a boston brace many years ago, when leggings were in fashion and either wore them in a bigger size with the elastic over the brace, or just under the bottom edge with long t-shirts/tops over the top. I do know of 1 member who deliberately wore her brace on show over the top of her clothes so people would see and be aware of the condition though I was not that brave at school.

Curly Wurly
16th January 2010, 08:59 PM
Hello, I am 13 and I had my brace fitting this week and am due to get it in early Feb. I have quite a few questions, and i wondered if anyone would be able to answer them.

What does the brace look like- does it do up with velcro?Are they hot to wear- escpecially in the summer months? Do you avoid hot destinations for holidays?

Is the brace quite obvious when wearing it? Can you wear strappy tops that are quite tight? I am worried that people will take the mickey.:(

My pain is quite severe at the moment, and the only thing that seems to give me slight relief is a hot bath. Paracetomol and Ibuprofen don't work. Should I ask for something stronger? I often feel quite down, but i keep telling myself at least it's not something worse! my curve isn't as severe as some people so i wondered why i suffer with so much pain? I've heard of something called a tens machine and was wondering if anyone has used one and if they help. And would it be wise to ask for one when i go for my brace fitting?

what about exercise? Are there any exercises that are useful? I am trying to go swimming regularly but wondered if there are any other things I could do.

cherrybird
16th January 2010, 09:48 PM
Hi Curly Wurly,
It has been quite a long time since I wore a brace, but I did wear a brace at school. I think it depends on the type of brace as to how they do up, some are definately velcr fastened, but mine had straps which did up like the straps you tighten on a rucksack. As it was about 15 years ago when I had my brace I am sure the design of them has changed, mine was quite itchy in the summer, but this can be helped with talc before putting the brace on, and wearing a seamless vest underneath. I always wore baggy tops/t-shirts, partly as it was the fashion at the time and partly because I wasn't brave enough to show it off. I use a tens machine now, and it is good for pain relief but I don't know whether it is wise to wear one under a brace so I would suggest asking for advice when you next go to the hospital. Perhaps some physio could help with your pain, and to keep the curve flexible. It may be wise if you are really suffering to see if there is anything else you can try for pain. Hot baths are great, and I often use a hot water bottle or wheat bag when lounging about or laying in bed just to get some more heat on the painful area's. Hope it helps
Claire

aksor
17th January 2010, 04:15 AM
My daughter is in physio maybe that will help.....

Hello, I am 13 and I had my brace fitting this week and am due to get it in early Feb. I have quite a few questions, and i wondered if anyone would be able to answer them.

What does the brace look like- does it do up with velcro?Are they hot to wear- escpecially in the summer months? Do you avoid hot destinations for holidays?

Is the brace quite obvious when wearing it? Can you wear strappy tops that are quite tight? I am worried that people will take the mickey.:(

My pain is quite severe at the moment, and the only thing that seems to give me slight relief is a hot bath. Paracetomol and Ibuprofen don't work. Should I ask for something stronger? I often feel quite down, but i keep telling myself at least it's not something worse! my curve isn't as severe as some people so i wondered why i suffer with so much pain? I've heard of something called a tens machine and was wondering if anyone has used one and if they help. And would it be wise to ask for one when i go for my brace fitting?

what about exercise? Are there any exercises that are useful? I am trying to go swimming regularly but wondered if there are any other things I could do.

aksor
17th January 2010, 04:20 AM
Thank you for your ideas.....I'm thinking getting a maternity band for her .....if she can't button her pants whe could wear it over her pants ......I dont know if it would fith her though.. I hope it does ....it will solve clothing issues......it looks like a long tank top under your clothing........

She may be able to wear skinny jeans that sit just under the edge of the brace. I had a boston brace many years ago, when leggings were in fashion and either wore them in a bigger size with the elastic over the brace, or just under the bottom edge with long t-shirts/tops over the top. I do know of 1 member who deliberately wore her brace on show over the top of her clothes so people would see and be aware of the condition though I was not that brave at school.

Curly Wurly
17th January 2010, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the advice and i think i'll look into some physio. The person that i went to see about getting a brace said that it would be good to get physio to keep the spine flexible.

Also, when i was first diagnosed with Scoliosis i was told that it was a pain free condition- so why am i suffering with so much pain?!

And one more thing, it may sound silly but i keep getting headaches- does this have anything to do with the pain in my back and kneck?! That probably sounds really silly. haha.

aksor
17th January 2010, 03:56 PM
Thats not a silly question......I don't have scoliosis but I had whiplash before and when I get alot of neckpain I get headaches........I can tell when the headaches are caused by tension in my neck......

Thank you for the advice and i think i'll look into some physio. The person that i went to see about getting a brace said that it would be good to get physio to keep the spine flexible.

Also, when i was first diagnosed with Scoliosis i was told that it was a pain free condition- so why am i suffering with so much pain?!

And one more thing, it may sound silly but i keep getting headaches- does this have anything to do with the pain in my back and kneck?! That probably sounds really silly. haha.

cherrybird
17th January 2010, 05:20 PM
Not a silly question at all, the headaches can be due to the spine, depending on which levels the curves are at, they can cause headaches from frequent mild headaches to really bad tension type headaches. Looking around the board you will find many people who have been told in the past that scoliosis is a painless condition, and for some people it can be, but it's not the same rule for everyone. Young children may find that they have no pain with scoliosis hence it not being noticed or picked up until teenage growth spurts and beyond, and to be honest, as a teenaged I never had any kind of back pain at all so it was a realy shock to find out I had this condition. As I have gotten older, the pain for me personally has become a real issue, I have had surgery, I take reasonably strong pain killers, and I still have a problem, despite having physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, and a whole heap of other things I have tried. I think now doctors and consultants (some of them) are beginning to accept that some people do have pain, which is not directly linked to the size, or severity of the curve though unfortunately still too many are of the belief that it is painless.

Curly Wurly
17th January 2010, 09:47 PM
oh right- my curve isn't actually that severe compared to some people. It's about 25 degrees. Maybe my headaches are due to the pain and i do get them quite frequently.

I've thought of another question actually but, again, it might sound silly! I'm going to be having this back brace and it should stop it from getting worse and maybe straighten it out a bit. But if i carry children when i'm older- it won't put it out of alignment again will it? sorry if that sounds silly! :)

cherrybird
18th January 2010, 12:02 PM
Again, not a silly question, In my personal experience, having a child didn't make my back worse, but it did give me the best pain relief ever - this is not necessarily the case for everyone. I did find that my back seemed worse after having my daughter with carrying her in a car seat, and holding her on 1 hip.
It would be a good idea to discuss these concerns with your consultant, but the main thing is that it is not out of the question to have children, and epidurals are possible for most people with scoliosis.

Ceirdwyn
18th January 2010, 02:25 PM
Again, not a silly question, In my personal experience, having a child didn't make my back worse, but it did give me the best pain relief ever - this is not necessarily the case for everyone. I did find that my back seemed worse after having my daughter .
I thought that was just me. I thought that it may be the hormone "Relaxin" that helps the pelvis separate during labour, actually helped relax the over tight muscles/ligaments. (Too much for me, I ended up in hospital for weeks with a seperated pelvis) So during pregnancy I had very little back ache. But, after the pregnancy, when that hormone stopped being produced things tightened again, worse than they were in the first place.

This is absolutely not medical fact, just something that I thought may explain what happened in my own circumstances.

stana29
26th January 2010, 02:03 PM
Hello,
My daughter used to wear Boston brace and could not wear jeans over the brace at all so we switched to dresses. Now she wears Cheneau brace and she cannot wear dresses but she can wear jeans. I guess it depends on the way the brace is done and how low the brace goes.
Please have a look at this picture where you can see Boston (with tweety pie on it) and Cheneau brace (butterflies on) for a comparison.
http://picasaweb.google.com/stanajessie/JessicaSBack#5317137942198401042

Curly Wurly
26th January 2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you for that advice- i suppose i don't really have to worry about carrying children just yet, seeing as though i'm only 13! but thanks anyway.

Also thank you for the pictures that were posted- they were very interesting to take a look at.

thanks once again (: