PDA

View Full Version : One more thing

Amazed Jean
14th December 2004, 05:07 AM
I'm just about pissed. I just came home from my check-up appointment with my GP and he said its time to get the BiPap set up at home so that's happening this week and we are going to be using a pulse oximeter at home because I still am exhausted when I wake up and I got to get another pneumonia shot. I thought 1 lasted forever- guess not. So I'm cranky and then he says one more thing You aren't going out in public are you? Well yes but just to the grocery and I have to Christmas shop. The doc then says "You are done! No more stores, no church, no parties, no crowds." There are too many germs out there for someone with a compromised immunity." Great! scoliosis sucks more and more all the time!

Kayla
14th December 2004, 05:44 AM
You said the doc said...There are too many germs out there for someone with a compromised immunity."

You would think for a dcotor he would know that germs are gametes which are sperm and ovum and nothing else. hehe I lvoe biology!

anyways I am sorry about how your appt went and I know how sucky our health can be!

jfkimberly
14th December 2004, 10:31 AM
What is your doctor thinking? You can't shut yourself up completely. If you have the energy to go (which impressed me, really), then GO!

But he's right... they recommend you get a booster of the pneumonia vaccine every 5 to 10 years. It doesn't hurt much (not compared to an ABG, anyway).

Regarding BiPAP... does he mean all the time, or just at night? Have you tried BiPAP yet? I guess if you've got the pulse oximeter, you'll know if it's working... but there is calibrating to be done. You don't just get the machine and go home. Blah. I hate it for you.

sins
14th December 2004, 11:55 AM
I'm going to agree with your doctor Jean.Even a straightforward chest infection without pneumonia will reduce your lung capacity significantly and at 12-15%, you just don't have it to spare.if you read my livejournal you'd see that I'm probably paranoid about infections myself and people can be so careless about infecting others with their infernal viruses.I would also ban people from your house if they're ill.It sounds very antisocial but it's necessary.
Sins

Tweety Pie
14th December 2004, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear this.It will be hard for a gutsy girl like you

Best wishes

Jenny

Abbi
14th December 2004, 03:59 PM
what?! you cant go out?!?! does he expect you to live your life in a bubble like a social outkast....grrr i hate Drs (when they give u bad news)
im sorry that it (appointment) didnt go well...and YES SCOLIOSIS SUCKS!!!!!

Joy
14th December 2004, 05:06 PM
*hugs* Not being allowed to go out sucks even if it is necessary. And yes, scoliosis does suck but just think if we didn't have scoliosis we might have something even WORSE.

M.Magudulela
14th December 2004, 05:10 PM
I think you should take your Doctor's advice, and I'm sorry you not feelling ok now. Be strong we're here for you.

Maria

DublinPauline
14th December 2004, 06:58 PM
Jean, this is a real nuisance and I really feel for you. I know what it's like to have a huge list of things to do and to be told NO.

I don't know about your part of the world but here in Ireland, this is the prime time of the year for picking up viruses and infections of one kind or another so you probably do need to be as careful as is humanly possible. Maybe you can delegate some of your shopping or move it online?

One thing I am very conscious of given my own restricted lung capacity is the need to build up my immune system so that I'm not picking up everything going. I try to eat a lot of probiotic yoghurt, fruit (especially those with lots of Vitamin C), garlic, etc. I was on holidays in France for two weeks this year and didn't eat fruit as regularly as I normally would (no freshly squeezed grapefruit jucie in the morning) and picked up my first chest infection in two years.

It might also be worthwhile looking into supplements that will further boost your immune system if you're not already doing that. A lot of people here swear by Echinachea (spelling) and Zinc, as well as Vitamin C. Sleep also helps!

The bi-pap should help you to give your lungs a good rest at night so that you feel more energetic in the morning and you are conserving lung function. Also, as the weather improves, you should be able to go about and about more.

butterflylr
14th December 2004, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that news! I don't know what to tell you except that I'm sorry! I would suggest that you keep the doctors orders though. He's just trying to keep you healthy. Especially in the cold season when sicknesses run rampant! Did he mean that you are confined to home FOREVER? Or just for the next little while?

I do have one question though... what's a BiPap?

jfkimberly
16th December 2004, 09:51 AM
Lindsay, there's a whole thread about BiPAP under the titles "Nocturnal Hypoventilation." Look here (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=1&t=358&st=20#entry10254) for a post specifically on what CPAP and BiPAP are, and browse the rest of that thread for more information about its use.