PDA

View Full Version : I just found out that my 8yr. old adopted son has

TTT Mommy
10th December 2004, 02:19 AM
This was probably caused by a spinal injury due to severe abuse 3 yrs ago...maybe...I took him to the hospital last Tuesday because of abdominal pain that would not go away after three weeks...I thought he had developed an ulcer. He was diagnosed with IBS and the doctor gave him a copy of his x-ray. As the Doctor was telling him where all of his organs were located, I noticed kind of a chink in his spine, I asked the Doctor if his spine was crooked... he replied by saying that it was probably the way he was laying on the table. I informed him that he was standing when the techs' took it and he said OHHHH. He informed me that he had a moderate case of Scoliosis that would get worse if not treated and instructed me to get a referral to Scottish Rite. I have been trying to set this up for over a week, this, like everything else is a process.
My question is this. Is there a visual chart that shows mild to acute degree ratio's of curves that I can compare the x-ray we have to so I do not make myself crazy waiting till the first of the year? Any help will be appreciated.

Blair
10th December 2004, 02:21 AM
Hey there! Glad to see you made it over here! :-)

Amazed Jean
10th December 2004, 05:33 AM
TTT Mommy, Welcome to the wonderful world of SSO. First relax. Your're doing the right thing by being vigilant and your child's advocate. Secondly if you read around a bit on the site you will see how resilent children are and you'll be amazed how often they take for granted stuff we as adults worry about. I am an adult with untreated scoliosis that is very severe (long story) I can have you look in the galleries to show you why you shouldn't do nothing but also there are many xrays there from people that have had successful surgeries and got vigilant care. Thank Goodness. Feel free to ask anyone anything. Everyone is helpful. We can also be pretty silly once in awhile but its just being human. Welcome Welcome.

jfkimberly
10th December 2004, 05:48 AM
Welcome to SSO! If you know your son's degree of curvature, you can compare it to the following scale for a basic reference:
A scoliotic curve is said to exist when this angle measures at least 10. Most curves are considered significant if greater than 25-30. Curves in excess of 45-50 are considered severe and often require more aggressive treatment.
If you don't know his curve, just take a look at our member galleries at all of our xrays. Most of us identified the degree of curve on ours, so you can compare the image to what your son's xray looked like and get an idea of where he's at. The site where I got that severity scale from also talks about what the likelihood of a patient with various characteristics requiring treatment... the url is: at this link (http://medstat.med.utah.edu/scoliosis/overview.htm).

andrea
10th December 2004, 09:50 AM
Welcome to SSO. I'm sorry to hear about your son. In a way you are lucky to have identified this when you have. He clearly wasn't showing external signs of curvature, so you've spotted it early, even though I can imagine the shock and worry that you are now going through. My 2 year old daughter has infantile scoliosis, so I know what you must be going through.

As Kimberly has said, have a look in the member galleries at various xrays, which should give you an idea. Lots of members have experience of treatment of juvenile scoliosis, so they will be able to fill you in with the likely treatment offered to you.

Hang in there - you are totally doing the right thing by finding out more information and talking to others who have experienced what your family is going through now.

Feel free to ask questions - someone will always have an answer.

Ryansmum
10th December 2004, 10:24 AM
:welcome: Hi there and welcome to sso :D My name is Dee and my son Ryan (9) has scoliosis and he is just getting used to his boston brace which we have called Boris! He is coping so well with it all and I must echo what everyone else has said do persevere and get treatment for your son I never noticed Ryans curve and its now nearly 60 degrees..This site has been a godsend to me and Ryan who is also a member and posts on the under 18 forum.There is always someone around to give you help,support and advice :niceone:

sins
10th December 2004, 01:01 PM
Hello and welcome.
Firstly, your little boy is so lucky to have you as a mom.Top marks for detecting the curve in his spine.If you have an x ray you can post it on here if you wish and you can compare it to the others here.If you want to do this just ask either myself or Titch to set up a gallery slot for you and you can add it yourself.
It sounds like your son will have an Mri scan and most likely be fitted with a brace.The Scottish rite hospitals seem to have a great record with scoliosis treatment.I've had scoliosis for most of my life and I'm now 37 with two children myself.
If there's anything at all that we can do for you, please just let us know and we'll all do our best to support you through this.I know it's so difficult to wait for that first appointment but once you know the full diagnosis you'll feel a lot better.
Sinead.

Abbi
11th December 2004, 10:25 PM
Hey there, welcome to the site!
Well done for noticing your sons curve. my scoliosis went unnoticed for years, but that was prob due to baggy clothes and that my double curve is balanced.....
I hope you can get answers, I dont really know much about curves and how they progress. Hope everything goes well if your son needs treatment!

Kayla
14th December 2004, 05:48 AM
Hey, Welcome to SSO I am adopted from the age of 4 almost 5 and at about 9 I found out I had scoliosis due to my Chiari Malformation Syringomyelia. It seems a lot of people have stuff in common with me that a lot of people know nothing about its soo cool! (wow im acting liek im new here)

BlueIce
14th December 2004, 07:43 PM
HI there, I'm a bit late but I just read your post. Your son should be really gratefull for a mom like you, it's good that you noticed this before the doc did!
If you have a look at my xrays (most of them are both in my own map and in the one with xrays) you can see my curves (the top one was 60, the bottom one was 50). It's a little more than usual (I think) but it gives you a chance to compare them to your son's. I had surgery almost six months ago, so there are also some post-op xrays.
Keep us updated and if you or your son have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!