PDA

View Full Version : Maria's surgery

M.Magudulela
6th December 2004, 05:48 PM
Thank you, you guys are so sweat. I had a lovely day, my friends from church took me out for lunch and we had sooo much fun.

Kimberly - The physio didnít help much because it only increased my lung capacity from 53-57% my doctor wanted it to be 60%. He then decided to refer me to a pulmonologist of his choice who did some tests and gave me an injection to prevent pneumonia. According to the pulmonologist surgery is possible but the can be some complications.

Surgery is going to be in Feb but, the nurse said I must phone in January next year for the date.

Here's some of the information the Doctor gave me on my last appointment with him:
-he wants to do a theracoplasty (I think that's what he said) anterior and posterior.
- Heís going to do this in stages (front first and the back after two weeks) I think this the same think that Johnny has done????
-he's not using isola rods; I think he said miami rods...???I'm not sure. (DOES ANY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE RODS?)
- he's going to fuse the spine but didn't say from where to where??
- I'm going to be in traction and I'm also going to be in a post op-brace for three months depending on how out of balance I am.

We had a long discussion about the risks involved and I think this doctor is fair for he didn't hide things from me at least I know what I'm going into. The most worry he said, are the complications that I can get you know like, over bleeding, catching pneumonia while in icu and staff. He said they'll do all their best to prevent all this but some of the things he can only know during the op. Other than that he said the a good chance that things will go well.

I'm going to get the last appointment before surgery and I'll ask all the question and make 100% sure I write things down.

Thank you for asking, Kim.

SINS and PAULINE, anyone -- I'm trying to get information on halo traction, can you please help me you know types of tractions for the spine, what its used for, how long does a person stay in it things like that. I think we should add this as part of the information forum (if not done yet)
I saw your photos in the gallery Sins, Pauline and I'm wondering if I'm going to be out in the same thing.

Thank you once more to everyone for the well wishes.

Maria M.

Ryansmum
6th December 2004, 05:54 PM
Hi Maria glad to hear you had a great day :D and I hope all goes well with your treatment :squeeze:

jfkimberly
6th December 2004, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the update! I hadn't heard too much from you lately. You are on track for surgery, still! I'm so glad. That's February 2005, right? So just two months away?

M.Magudulela
7th December 2004, 10:30 AM
Yes just two months away.

M.Magudulela
7th December 2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ryansmum@Dec 6 2004, 06:54 PM
Hi Maria glad to hear you had a great day :D and I hope all goes well with your treatment :squeeze:

Thank you. I pray that everything goes well in Feb next year.

jfkimberly
7th December 2004, 10:43 AM
This will be your first treatment, right? So it's not a revision. It's a first-time fusion.

M.Magudulela
7th December 2004, 10:51 AM
Yes Kim it will be my first treatment. I'm a little scared cos of my age(34) but I just have to have faith in God and the Doctors. Oh, yes and technology.

jfkimberly
7th December 2004, 11:04 AM
Oh, good... first-time surgery is much safter than revision from what I've read. I'm sure you'll be fine... better, in fact, than you are now (once you recover a bit, of course).

I know you're nervous, but I have to admit that I'm envious... I've already been fused, and my orthopaedist doesn't want to break it down to revise. You have this opportunity for improvement. Be strong, and trust your faith. You'll get through it.

M.Magudulela
7th December 2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Dec 7 2004, 12:04 PM
Oh, good... first-time surgery is much safter than revision from what I've read. I'm sure you'll be fine... better, in fact, than you are now (once you recover a bit, of course).

I know you're nervous, but I have to admit that I'm envious... I've already been fused, and my orthopaedist doesn't want to break it down to revise. You have this opportunity for improvement. Be strong, and trust your faith. You'll get through it.
Thank you, Kim. I'll be strong it's nice to know that first time fusion is safer, I didn't know that. Thank you for the info. I hope you get help with new treatment, maybe for now it is not safe to do revision.

DublinPauline
7th December 2004, 01:56 PM
Maria
Belated birthday greetings - :party: - glad you had a great day.
One treatment I managed to avoid was halo traction. I had standard traction prior to my surgery and for a while afterwards (heavy bag of water attached to my head at night (with a chinstrap) and exercises three times a day involving stretching my feet out in stirrups which in turn pulled my head straight. It didn't hurt at all, honest. :-)
Sins and (I think) Toni had Halo Traction.
Good luck!
Pauline

sins
9th December 2004, 05:53 PM
Hi Maria,
Firstly I need to apologise for missing this post in the common room.Serious medical topics sometimes get lost in there, so I've moved it to general discussions. I'm delighted you've got a date for your surgery.Your lung capacity hasn't improved dramatically, but any improvement is welcome.Your surgery should still be successful at 57%.
The Halo Traction is nothing to worry about.It's very effective at stabilising the spine between stages for adult patients.The type I had was called Halo Tibia traction and apart from a mild headache for 48 hours after having the clamp fitted around my head, it was fine.I think they now prefer to use Halo Gravity traction instead as no pins are inserted in your legs to bear the bottom weights.This traction, if used will get your better correction after the first stage of the surgery and will help release stiff rigid curves once the discs are taken out.The instrumentation must be Miami-moss instrumentation.It's a versatile low profile system which is used both in posterior and anterior surgeries.
I'll post some links later about miami moss and Halo gravity traction.
You should ring your surgeon's office or e mail him if you need to clarify exactly what type of traction he's planning to use.
if you need to ask any more questions about the Halo part feel free.I'll do my best to answer.
Sins

sins
9th December 2004, 06:21 PM
http://www.jnjgateway.com/home.jhtml?loc=N...ty_Degenerative (http://www.jnjgateway.com/home.jhtml?loc=NLDUT&page=productList&specialty=Neurosurgery&category=Spine&subcategory=Deformity_Degenerative)
http://espine.com/DH.pdf
Sins

Abbi
9th December 2004, 08:00 PM
Thats great that you know when your surgery is! I hope it goes well, will be thinking and praying for you!
Abbi

Tweety Pie
10th December 2004, 02:53 PM
Hi Maria,

Where are you having your surgery ?

M.Magudulela
14th December 2004, 09:35 AM
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Sins thank you, thank you so much for all the information. I've been searching every where for information, thank you.

I'm going to see my Dr in January 2005 for my last appointment before surgery, and I'll ask him all the questions. He's going to arrange that I meet some of his patients and I can also ask them some questions.

M.Magudulela
14th December 2004, 09:44 AM
Abbi - thank you for prayers.

Jenny - It will be done at Pretoria East Hospital in South Africa.

Thank you.
Maria

floralgypsy
14th December 2004, 01:39 PM
Hoping that you have a wonderful correction, Maria. My curve was 56-60 degrees when I had surgery, and although I was only 18, the surgeon had told me that I had been fully grown for the past three years, so I had pretty solid bones, much like an older adult. I had a thoracoplasty, too!

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Tweety Pie
14th December 2004, 02:23 PM
Here's wishing you all the very best for 2005

Best wishes

Jenny

Joy
14th December 2004, 05:11 PM
I had A/P surgery too but only a week apart with no traction. Personally, I think the first stage was a bit worse, not is terms of pain but mentally. The second stage you'll probabaly be to drugged to worry much. Best wishes, let us know if there's anything you're worried about and how it goes.

M.Magudulela
14th December 2004, 05:21 PM
Joy did you have to wear a brace after surgery?

Joy
14th December 2004, 05:50 PM
No. But I was only 13...

titch
15th December 2004, 10:25 AM
I had 2 stage surgery, with both stages done on the same day, when I was just shy of 21. I had been fully grown for at least 4 years at that point, but was quite flexible, and also my T12-L1 and L1-2 discs were removed to increase the amount of correction that was possible. I had a thoracolumbar curve and was fused from T10-L2 with good correction of the lateral curve.

I had to wear a TLSO brace for some weeks after surgery, mostly when I was sitting, and especially if I was going anywhere in the car.

Hope you can get all the answers you need out of your doctor in the new year, Maria :-) In many respects, this is the worst bit, waiting to get it done - once it's over with, you can just concentrate on the recovery, but the waiting can be a real chore.