PDA

View Full Version : NEW!!!Need help, advice, and support!!!

Lovingmother
10th December 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi everyone, I'm glad to have found this website because I'm going a little bonkers here. My 12 year old son was referred to a Ped Ortho Sur and diagnosed with a 21 % curve two days ago. My first visit and he was trying to put us in the brace (measure us for) the same day. I was completely overwhelmed and told him I needed a few days to make that type of decision. I simply wanted to look at all options before putting my little full of life, athletic, shy son in a flipping life changing brace. Can anyone relate? I have been researching possible options and I keep coming back to the brace as being our strongest option. Does anyone have a similar story? Does anyone know of anyone with a similar story? I am desperate for support from someone who has a similar story and could give me any advice. Thank you to all!

zoolane
10th December 2009, 02:54 PM
:welcome2:I am sorry to heard about your son,but they lots people on this site who be able to get some advice with your question. We all support each on here with everything not just scoliosis.

Jo xxxxxx :squeeze:

tonibunny
10th December 2009, 03:28 PM
Hiya, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

Whereabouts are you based? There are various methods that people use to try to prevent scoliosis from progressing.

As your son is 12 he probably has a lot of growth ahead of him, and I think it would probably be a good idea to try to get the curve under control as soon as possible. Perhaps you could get the brace for him and then explore other options?

There are various types of braces which are easier to wear. For instance, there are braces that are designed to be worn only at night (the Charleston bending brace is one) and flexible braces made of fabric (the Spinecor).

It's extremely beneficial for anyone with scoliosis to develop strong spinal and abdominal muscles, so things like swimming and pilates can help support the work done by the brace. One of our members feels that torso rotation exercises can be enormously beneficial too (these can be done using a special machine at a gym).

There is a form of physiotherapy that has been designed especially for people with scoliosis, called the Schroth Method, and some people have reported that this has helped them to halt or even reverse their spinal curvature. Bear in mind though that the head of the main Schroth clinics in Germany recommends that if a child is still growing, a brace should be worn in conjunction with this method.

Sadly no method is 100% effective, but your son's curve is still relatively small and there is every chance he will be able to keep it that way :) I'm sure other mums will be along soon to give you the benefit of their experiences. Keep smiling, and welcome again,

Toni xx

greenhouse12
10th December 2009, 04:57 PM
Welcome to SS and im very sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis .. but your not alone!

Well the postive thing is that a 21 degree scoliosis is mild and its better that it's been caught early because there are more treatment options.I had mine diagnosed at fourteen,january 2008,but mine wasn't suitable for bracing so they watched the curve very closely for a good year and it worsened as i grew in height.So i was put on the waiting list and over a year later got the operation,and im doing well.That was my story.

I would go for the bracing,because you want to avoid surgery in as many ways possible.You will be suprised how kids adapt,and there are many different braces out there he could try.I dont know much about bracing but there are others out there who have had postive results.

Good Luck
x

crazylu
10th December 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Lovingmother, first a big long hug to you and your family. As IrishGirl has said 21 degrees is mild and you caught it early, so that part is good. That being said, don't feel pushed into making any decisions about what to do. A few days isn't going to make a gigantic difference and I think that what you told the doctor about needing a bit of time to think things over is wise. I truly understand what you are saying about your son, I still can't watch my daughter skate without crying my eyes out. You are correct in saying that this decision is life changing. For our daughter (age 13) we decided to go with the Spinecor brace, mostly because it seemed to have the least impact on her life and her self image. As you know young teens have enough problems with that kind of thing anyways. Take this time now and just review all your options ( a daunting task). I guess what I am trying to say is you have to make what you feel is the best decision for your son. We still question everyday if we have made the right decision for our daughter, but for us it seems to be the right one. I'm sure you are reading all the threads in this forum, I know that I did. The one thing that your will find here is lots of support no matter what decision you make regarding your son. I'll finish with another hug. We are here to listen. Lu

Little Ali
10th December 2009, 10:02 PM
Just wanted to say hi and :welcome2:

GillyG
12th December 2009, 12:55 AM
I also just wanted to drop by and say :welcome: but I don't have anything useful to add as I have no experience of bracing. Many of our members have kids in braces though, or have had experience of them themselves (like Toni), so I'm sure they'll pop by soon and give you some info. I'm very glad you've found us :squeeze: