PDA

View Full Version : They Cancelled our MRI..GRRR

Ryansmum
8th December 2004, 02:40 PM
:nut: Fuming now...after all that waiting our MRI has been put back to the 23rd Dec due to the hospital being overrun with a sickness and diaorhea bug :soapbox: not too reassuring as we are going there later today for his pads to be fitted :-o doesnt give you a lot of faith if he has to have surgery there either!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abbi
8th December 2004, 03:01 PM
Aw NO WAY!!!!! That so stinks! I hate that. My surgeon app. was cancelled when I was already waiting for 4mths!!!!
Dotn worry, the 23rd will come round quick enuf! ur lucky you dotn have to wait for another few months!
I hope it goes well tho!
And the fitting of ryans pads, that will make him more comfortable!
Sorry, I cannot offer anymore comfort or support than that....but it will come soon!

Kayla
8th December 2004, 04:19 PM
OMG! I hate when they cancel MRI's they are such a pain to schedule! Then when you get one scheduled you have to wait forever! I just hate MRI's all together!

andrea
8th December 2004, 05:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Dee, but it is good that they could get you in before Christmas. Only just I know, but at least you can then rest easy over Christmas. I know how frustrating it is when they cancel stuff. I feel for you.

It'll come very quickly - just you wait and see.

sins
8th December 2004, 06:00 PM
That's so disappointing.At his age he'd be a priority for an Mri.
Those winter vomiting viruses play havoc with waiting lists and wipe out large sections of Hospital staff.Hopefully all will go ahead on the 23rd.
Sins

Ryansmum
8th December 2004, 06:23 PM
Just got back and a bit disappointed..pads didnt come in so it was a totally wasted trip.The physio wasnt there as she got called to another hospital.Half the main hospital (wards,xrays,mri a&e) is shut due to this bug and staffing levels are critical so we had to be seen in the plaster room and there were no tools in there so Andrew couldnt even put in the airholes.Oh well enough of my moaning you're all right at least we are still being seen before xmas..I hope LOL...barring any outbreaks of ebola or suchlike ;-)

Tweety Pie
8th December 2004, 06:46 PM
Sorry to hear that things haven't gone well for you today

Best wishes
Jenny

PS I wanted to insert one of those clickable smilies but I don't know how

Marti
9th December 2004, 01:12 AM
That's certainly frustrating. Good luck on the 23!

jfkimberly
9th December 2004, 02:14 AM
That's sucky, Dee. But, it does sound fortunate that they were able to work you back in so soon. I'd be incredibly miffed, still... but at least you don't have to wait months.

I have a question about scheduling appointments on NHS. Do they just put you in a slot and notify you of when it is, or do you get a phone call and work it out around your schedule and their availability? Because there's no way I could ever make any travel plans if I had an ongoing health concern like we do and I had no control over when my appointments were.

andrea
9th December 2004, 08:56 AM
Kimberly, it can vary, but once you're a routine patient, it's generally that they schedule you an appointment and then let you know when it is. Generally speaking, it's usually quite a way in the future so you have plenty of time to plan around it. If you're an urgent case, like when Erin was first diagnosed and had to be casted, the registrar called me on the phone and went through the options, checking that we could make it before bumping everyone else out of the way and clearing the MRI. It's amazing what they can do when you're URGENT, but unfortunately there is nothing between urgent and routine, so it's like NOW or 6 months away.

jfkimberly
9th December 2004, 09:45 AM
How do you get classified as "urgent"? It sounds like a handy designation to have.

andrea
9th December 2004, 10:27 AM
Hmm, it sure is, but I'm not entirely sure. It's quite a worrying classification to have too, I guess. We're back to routine now, although our next appt came through pretty quickly. I guess it just depends on so many things.

titch
9th December 2004, 11:29 AM
Even getting classified as urgent doesn't necessarily help. You need to either have a good and understanding doctor with a good team, or fight for it. My father was classed as urgent for a bypass - he was told he likely had as little as a year before dying of congestive heart failure. The consultant who told him this, and told him he'd be put on the urgent list and should hear back with a date within 6 weeks, hadn't even got around to sending the referral letter 8 weeks later when he had a heart attack - he was actually lucky to have the heart attack as it meant he got treated. Even then there was so much of a mix up and mess, not to mention the lies, that it took letters to the local MP to get things moving for his surgery.

Back when I was a routine patient before my first surgery, and had moved away to college, whenever I had an appointment, the doc would tell me when he next wanted to see me and to book it in at the front desk, I'd go along, tell them when my holidays were - which usually gave an opening of 3 weeks, and we'd book the appointment. They'd tell me that they'd send a letter out, and almost without fail, by the time they did, they'd have changed it to a date I couldn't possibly make, due to being several hundred miles and a 10hr coach ride away :thwack:

Joy
9th December 2004, 07:14 PM
here they send a letter telling you when to come but if you can't, they can sometimes reschedule. Often you have to wait longer though. I was lucky this time, I actually got in earlier by rescheduling.

Abbi
9th December 2004, 07:56 PM
Im not urgent! I dunno y tho, cos I mean I have a double curve of 80!!! but its not like its compromsing my other organs, or even damaging them, its just i have pain, and look a little lopsidded!