PDA

View Full Version : acupuncture for scoliosis?

fireflymd
8th December 2009, 03:20 PM
I found one study online that suggested acupuncture, if started early, may help prevent progression of the curve. I'm just curious to see if anyone has tried it.
http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

Cassie
8th December 2009, 05:50 PM
I've tried it- but for pain post fusion rather than trying to stop my curve. It did help a little with the pain the first time but other times it hasn't had any effect on pain or on my curve as it has progressed.
I think the practitioner can make quite a difference to the outcome depending on where they learnt and their expertise. I haven't heard about it being used to stop curves though. Do you have a ref for the online study? Might make for interesting reading.

Good luck! :)

tonibunny
8th December 2009, 06:07 PM
I'd be very interested to read this too! I can't really understand how acupuncture could stop a true structural curve from progressing, although a functional (non-structural) scoliosis may be caused by muscle spasms and I can see that needles might usefully interrupt the nerve impulses that cause those.

I tried acupuncture for back pain too. I went to a traditional Chinese doctor for it, and it was excruciatingly painful. Apparently this traditional method differs from the standard style of acupuncture that is advocated by the British Acupuncture Council.

fireflymd
8th December 2009, 08:48 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/3/1/4

It's a tiny number of patients, but interesting.

Ellie
13th December 2009, 08:19 PM
I had acupuncture many years ago. done by a GP who had done the additional training to offer alongside his normal offerings to his patients.
I had it to try to alleviate the pain and although it was not a magical cure, but it did assist with allowing me to reduce the number of pills I was on.

cherrybird
14th December 2009, 10:54 PM
I had tried acupuncture alongside my physio but it really didn't work for me - it sent me really light headed and dizzy. I have no problem with needles whatsoever and always watch them going in so I know it was not that. I guess I am just one of those people who it doesn't work for.