PDA

View Full Version : sore

Joy
7th December 2004, 06:35 PM
I've been having a lot of pain in my lower back the last week or so, and my shoulder and neck are spasming. But it's a lot worse then usual, I feel like I'm a month post op again. :cry: I don't even know why. I just joined running club three or four weeks ago, but my backs only been really bad this week. I'm supposed to be seeing my surgeon on Jan. 26, but I need to reschedule as that's the first day of classes for the second semester and I don't want to miss those... :nut:

titch
7th December 2004, 06:56 PM
What sort of running are you doing? If it's cross country, that could be more likely to make you prone to spasming, because of the irregularity of it. You probably really need top quality running shoes with plenty of impact absorbence as well.

About all I can really suggest though, is to take it easy for a few days to a couple of weeks, pamper yourself and let everything relax again, then start adding things back in, to try to find out what causes it - hope you feel better really soon, and that it doesn't take too long to reschedule an appointment with your surgeon :hug:

sins
7th December 2004, 07:11 PM
I think take a break from the running Joy.I know people have run marathons on a fused spine, but it does sound like it's related to the running.It's a high impact exercise and you have only a few discs left to cushion the impact.personally I'd be wary of putting any additional stress on them.Hope your Doctor can offer some expert advice.Go to your Gp meanwhile and get some good anti-inflammatories and give your body a chance to heal.
Sins
ps.Glad too see you around so much.We missed you!

Joy
7th December 2004, 10:56 PM
I'm too young to be on painkillers... I really don't think I can get a prescription, which it too bad as OTC stuff is total crap!

I guess maybe I should take a break from the running. I'm disappointed though, I already paid the deposit and I'm supposed to go to Vancouver in April and run a big 10 km race. I got good shoes too, so it wouldn't hurt my discs! (yes I know I sound very whiney. I'm just frustrated!) I did manage to get my appointment moved forward to Jan. 5th though.

I'm glad to be back. I'm insanely busy, I'm editor of yearbook, in grade 11 so lots of schoolwork, directing sunday school xmas pagent, in youth group(bible study every other week, activity every other week plus fundraising) running, riding, on student council. Plus my dad's been having problems with depression again so I've been spending a lot of energy dealing with that. Which is why I haven't been around much, but the last few days I've taken to sneaking on here while in school. ssssshhh, don't tell the teacher!

sins
7th December 2004, 10:59 PM
:-D Won't say a word!
You don't have to take painkillers long term.Just taking anti-inflammatories for a few days will help a lot.By reducing the infalmmation, you'll be giving your body a chance to heal.

Joy
7th December 2004, 11:53 PM
I know. But doctors really are reluctant to put kids my age on painkillers, even just short term.

jfkimberly
8th December 2004, 07:59 AM
hehe Doctors are different in Edmonton. That's all they do in my small town... no tests to find out what's causing the pain. Just "Here, take this and if it doesn't help, come back and we'll try something else." That's literally what they did when I was transported by ambulance to the ER in '94. They gave me an injection of Demoral while in the ER, then sent me home with some prescription-strength Ibuprofin and told me to follow up with my GP in a few days if I wasn't any better. Fortunately (unfortunately), the pain did subside over those few days, so I didn't follow up. But I might've had something done for my rotation 10 years ago if I'd pursued that.

Joy
8th December 2004, 05:03 PM
The last time I complained about pain, my surgeon told me it was garden-variety neck pain and that I should try being more active. And he sent me to physio to 'learn some streches'. He's an amazing surgeon, and I'm grateful to see him, but sheeeesh!

subey
10th December 2004, 04:07 AM
i'd say running on the road gives about the most damage for ur back, whenever i know my back is starting to get sore i try and run on grass as much as possible to give some cushioning.