PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

Kayla
6th December 2004, 12:23 AM
For those of you who have had the spinal fusion how long did you stay out of PE (physical education)? I stayed out one whole school year but I also had different circumstances. I just wondered how long you all stayed out.

subey
6th December 2004, 01:08 AM
6 months i think...cant remember exactly
possibly i did limited stuff after 3 months when i could bend again

lindzi_11
6th December 2004, 03:14 AM
Where I live in highschool you only have to take PE once. So I took it last year and didn't take it again cuz of my back.

Marti
6th December 2004, 04:33 AM
1 year. Because freshman gym is a year course, we decided it would be easiest just not to take it at all. If I'd had my surgery the summer before sophomore year instead, I wouldn't have missed any P.E. I would have taken health first semester and gym second. Although becuase of my hip, I probably would have been able to get out of gym. so anyways, a year.

BlueIce
6th December 2004, 01:12 PM
this is my sixth month after surgery and I don't think I'd be able to have PE yet. I can't run without hurting myself, so that narrows down the possibilities. I can't swim either. I could probably do a bit of volleyball or something, but that's about it. Luckily I don't have PE anymore. I'd reckon you need at least six months (I think I'd need more than that).

Kaja
6th December 2004, 01:44 PM
I had my op in September, and started geeently after newyear.. So, one semester. But I still don't do all the things everyone else do :P

sins
6th December 2004, 02:47 PM
permanently!
My family decided I was too delicate for PE and contact sports were forbidden anyway so I saw little point in continuing.
Sins

jfkimberly
6th December 2004, 05:12 PM
Gah. I went to highschool in Texas (Bush country), and physical education was required. For everybody. THere was no getting out of it. That was fine in junior high, because I had a teacher who understood my health status and was excited by what I did do. But when I moved up to high school and had a different teacher, she was completely unsympathetic. For people with disabilities, they offered a "modified PE course" during 3rd period. That's the only time it met. I had orchestra during 3rd period, and that's the only time it met. I chose orchestra over the modified PE course partly because I didn't want the stigma of being in the modified PE class which was mostly full of the "really disabled people," (at that time I still believed I was normal except for a little head tilt)... but for all that woman knew, I really was interested in pursuing the violin for life.

Anyway, because I took orchestra during third period, I had to satisfy my PE requirement in a regular PE class. And I had a teacher who believed that if you were in regular, you were graded just as though you were a regular student... and no amount of doctors notes were going to change that. There's a word I'd use for her that starts with "B" and rhymes with "witch." It wasn't just her view, it was her attitude, as well. I think she felt uncomfortable around people who looked a bit different from normal, or something, because she was completely hateful and rude to me. Anyway, she was completely inflexible, and she and I came to words before the end of the term. Which, I'm sure, didn't encourage her to be sympathetic when grading me.

Jonny
6th December 2004, 07:01 PM
Kimberly, orchestra? What instrument?

Thankfully PE is no longer on my timetable, so I don't need to worry.

jfkimberly
6th December 2004, 07:19 PM
Violin. *smile* But I was never very good at it. I lacked the diligence to practice like I should have.

Kaja
6th December 2004, 08:06 PM
You don't have PE anymore? :-o We have it twice a week, and it'll stay like that til I'm 18 :P

Joy
6th December 2004, 08:16 PM
I had my op in January and didn't do PE for the rest of the year. Then I was going to take PE 10 starting in September to fulfill the graduation requirement, but the classes were too full (with like 45 students) so I just took it last summer in summer school instead. And I don't have to take it anymore now. but I'm in running club and I ride...

tonibunny
6th December 2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Dec 6 2004, 07:19 PM
Violin. *smile* But I was never very good at it. I lacked the diligence to practice like I should have.
Hey!!!! Woooo!!! Jonny and myself both play the violin (he is loads better than me though!), and I have two violins in my flat.....maybe we can have a little play when you come for the party if you still like playing and you're up for it!! :D

jfkimberly
6th December 2004, 09:56 PM
hahaha That's why I didn't want to say what I played. *blush* I was never any good, even back then. And as long as it's been since I picked up a bow, I'm a total novice again.

Kayla
7th December 2004, 12:13 AM
I have PE every day Kaja! I am too stubborn to go into modified PE because I dont consider myself disabled and dont wanna be labeled such! SO i am almost failing my PE class because I cant run a mile in 9 minutes! (running is like the biggest grade in my PE)

jfkimberly
7th December 2004, 12:54 AM
Kayla, I went through the same thing. I didn't want to be in modified, so I had to be graded in the regular course. I think that the whole thing is entirely too inflexible. When I was in preschool, the concept of "mainstreaming" kids with disabilities was new and unique, and I was a beneficiary. So I grew up always being allowed to fit in, but with some slight allowances if I had difficulties. So when I hit high school gym, I couldn't understand why they would have to put me in an entirely different class set aside for "disabled kids," in order to grade me on my abilities. It still makes me mad.

Kayla
7th December 2004, 01:29 AM
I know they should grade you on your abilities not you "disabilities", I mean if you try your hardest that should count not if youre stronger then some other jock!

titch
7th December 2004, 10:25 AM
My grades for PE used to depend from one year to the next on which of the 2 teachers was grading it. I was never any good at most of it, so I never got higher than a C for attainment, but one of the teachers was really horrible, and just refused to believe I was trying my hardest, and used to give me anywhere from D to F for the effort grade, whereas the other one could see that I was trying and would grade me usually B and occasionally A for effort.

The horrible teacher once made me run the 100 metres twice more because I failed to get an adequate time on the first run due to the fact I twisted my ankle in a rabbit hole (yep, we had rabbits under the track :-o)