PDA

View Full Version : The Elephant MAN

Kayla
5th December 2004, 09:22 PM
I dont know if this is all oldnews to all of you, but I was looking him up and it said he had scoliosis. Wow I know it doesnt have to do with the weirdness of his head but I thought it was cool

http://www.doctorsecrets.com/amazing-medic...hant-man-2.html (http://www.doctorsecrets.com/amazing-medical-facts/elephant-man/the-elephant-man-2.html)

Becky
5th December 2004, 09:52 PM
Thats really cool, I never knew that!

sins
5th December 2004, 09:54 PM
I saw a documentary quite recently about that.They actually traced his family line and took blood samples to DNA test from a pool of his closest living relatives and they tested for the NF genes and the proteus gene.
Noone was found to have the genetic mutation that caused either condition.Which means that the true nature of his illness remains a mystery.The reason so many of his relatives donated blood samples was the fear that if someone harboured the gene some other member of the family might be affected.he seems to have been one of a kind.

Kayla
5th December 2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah it is very strange how that happens. It sucks that they cant take any more DNA samples from him.

Marti
6th December 2004, 12:30 AM
Wow... that's really interesting. I've actually never heard of this guy before. when did he live? Do they have any pictures of him, or was it before the camera? I'll probably google it, but if anyone knows anything off the top of their head, I'd love to hear it.

Little~shedevil~dee
6th December 2004, 12:44 AM
heres a website with a pic of him
http://www.lineages.co.uk/2004/08/28/josep...ibute-web-site/ (http://www.lineages.co.uk/2004/08/28/joseph-carey-merrick-tribute-web-site/)
hes right at the bottom

Kayla
6th December 2004, 01:21 AM
Martha He lived in the 1800's but as dee has a website it shows a picture of him

ivanleg
6th December 2004, 04:36 PM
Martha you haven't heard of the Elephant Man?? I knew you were young but I guess it still surprises me!
"The Elephant Man" was a huge movie that came out in 1980. It starred John Hurt as the elephant bloke himself. There is one famous scene where he is surrounded by a crowd who are taunting him (whilst wearing a hessian sack on his head with a hole cut out for his eye) and he finally cracks and screams:
"I am not an animal! I am a human being! I...am...a man!"
We had great fun at school repeating that. It's a famous line.
Anyway you can get more info on the movie from the authoritative imdb website here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080678/
You can probably rent the movie on dvd - or keep your eyes peeled in case it gets shown on tv.
There is tons of info if you google "Elephant man" and/or "John Merrick" (his real name).
cheers
Ivy

Abbi
6th December 2004, 05:12 PM
thats cool....but i have never heard of him either....lol!

tonibunny
6th December 2004, 07:47 PM
From what I remember (I've got a book about him somewhere), Joseph Merrick, the "Elephant Man" started out working in a freak show down on Whitechapel Road in London (which is literally just down the road from where I live). The showman who exhibited him claimed that his condition was caused by his mother being "frightened by an elephant during the latter stages of her pregnancy". A surgeon from the Royal London Hospital (also on Whitechapel Road) found him and took him to live in quarters at the Hospital. Thankfully he was quite comfortable there for the rest of his life; he became quite popular with leading members of society, who would visit him and treat him as a person rather than as something to be stared at and pitied. His skeleton is still in Whitechapel, in the hospital museum. His scoliosis is minor compared to the extent of his other skeletal anomalies.

jfkimberly
6th December 2004, 08:17 PM
That is all consistent with the documentary I saw on him (which I believe is the same documentary Sins described). There was a bit of a gap between his freak show days and being taken in at the Royal London Hospital, including an unfortunate incident like the one Ivy described from the movie. But eventually, he had some peace.

Vicki
6th December 2004, 10:50 PM
He also features in the film "From Hell", though in that his scoliosis appears to be much more severe than the picture on that website displays

Amazed Jean
7th December 2004, 12:39 AM
I cannot let this go by without saying that I am overwhelmed by the elephant man. The story is just a little too close for comfort. I have always been teased and ignored and laughed at in some situations mostly because I have such a classic hump that Hunchback fits so well. I bite my lip but I can't help but say about Mr. Merrick - there but by the grace of God go I.
It kind of keeps things in perspective don't it? I for one am humbled.

Kayla
7th December 2004, 01:09 AM
Toni, I heard that his skeleton was now buried..hmm I dont know you know a lot more about history then me

tonibunny
7th December 2004, 02:12 AM
You're probably right Kayla, my book is quite old (was published in the 1970s)! I hope they have buried his skeleton, I always thought it was sad that it ended up in the hospital museum....everyone deserves a dignified end.

Kayla
7th December 2004, 02:27 AM
Yeah they do! I wanna rent the movie and watch it. I don't remember what got me so physched about the elephant man...hmmm I don't remember at all!

annie
7th December 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by amazed@Dec 6 2004, 11:39 PM
I cannot let this go by without saying that I am overwhelmed by the elephant man. The story is just a little too close for comfort. I have always been teased and ignored and laughed at in some situations mostly because I have such a classic hump that Hunchback fits so well. I bite my lip but I can't help but say about Mr. Merrick - there but by the grace of God go I.
It kind of keeps things in perspective don't it? I for one am humbled.
If there's one positive thing to come out of having a deformed body, it's the perspective it gives you. What I mean is, like Jean, I was teased and laughed at when I was at school. I remember a bunch of my so called friends whispering while we were waiting to go into class one day and they referred to me as Quasi Modo. I asked why they called me that as I had never heard of him at the time, they just sniggered in a kind of embarassed way.

At least I know that I am the same as anyone else inside and so was John Merrick. It's so sad that the world isn't yet intelligent enough to accept people for what they are, not for what they look like on the outside.

annie
7th December 2004, 09:36 AM
Joseph Merrick is also referred to as John Merrick.

Tweety Pie
8th December 2004, 01:56 PM
Hunchback ...Ribhump ....Dowager's hump....I hate these words but we perpetuate them .Well some of us do.They really are so hurtful and cruel .Perhaps we could just say "uneven back".

sins
8th December 2004, 02:05 PM
We could try Dorsal asymmetry :-D Sounds quite posh too!

Kayla
8th December 2004, 04:20 PM
LOL the other day me and my friend were teasing each other just playing around and she goes "Well youll never be as straight as ill be!" she was talking about thise thing we were playing with but a couple seconds later she realised OMG kayla that was cruel I am so sorry!