PDA

View Full Version : Boris goes to school..

Ryansmum
3rd December 2004, 09:19 AM
Well the big day has arrived and Ryan and Boris went trotting into class together today :D I may as well have sent him in undressed as he keeps 'stripping off' to show everyone :rofl: We are up to four hours already at Ryans suggestion so I am going back at 12 to bring Boris home..don't want to wear him out on his first day at school :D The kids have all been so wonderful they are really interested in whats going on and there haven't been any nasty remarks at all,which has really helped.The girls are all acting like mother hens and I think he's quite enjoying being the centre of attention :niceone: One of his pals came round last night and they spent 2 hours dashing around playing football and stuff during his brace time so I don't think he's going to be that restricted in it,its more as the day wears on and his muscles start to ache he realises he's wearing it.So far so good...

jfkimberly
3rd December 2004, 09:27 AM
He is taking to Boris so well! That's wonderful! Fortunately, it's coming on winter as he's adjusting to it, so he won't have the "hot and sweaty" complaints until he's good and used to having Boris. I'm so happy for you both.

:niceone:

Ryansmum
3rd December 2004, 09:34 AM
thanks Kimberly yes I can't believe how well its going :clap: its all down to his positive attitude which I totally think comes from being so well informed through this site :squeeze: I'm going to ask Andrew (orthotist) if he does the 'airholes' I have seen people talk about for the summer as they reckon that helps a bit with the sweatiness?

Blair
3rd December 2004, 12:19 PM
Thats just fantastic! I hope the kids continue to be nice to Ryan and Boris! And it sounds like he's really adjusting well to wearing it!

Crazy16girl
3rd December 2004, 12:33 PM
Thats great news! :-D

I can relate to where ryan's being the centre of attention, i had people talking to me who were the "cool" people when i had mine and asking how i am and stuff, and its been that way ever since. Silly really :\

Ryansmum
3rd December 2004, 12:45 PM
Just got back and he's done really well his teacher said :party: They gave him a chair for assembly just in case he got stuck on the floor LOL..He was pleased to see me as he was sweating and needed a change of shirt,which I grabbed at the last minute as an afterthought luckily! No sore bits either and he even managed a game of footie at breaktime so its great!!!!!!!! Boris is going in everyday next week so he needs his beauty sleep at the moment ;-) As he's done such a long stint already today I said he can have the night off but he wants to put him on again later LOL .......hoping the novelty doesnt wear off! :D

sins
3rd December 2004, 12:54 PM
That's amazing Dee.He's got to be one of the most motivated cooperative kids I've ever encountered.He's doing really well.
Sins

andrea
3rd December 2004, 02:10 PM
Wow, it all sounds like everything's going to plan and going really well. I'm so pleased for you guys. It makes a huge difference if his peers understand and can help him through it. Hope it continues to go well.

lindzi_11
3rd December 2004, 04:52 PM
YaY nice to hear he's taking it well and wearing it to school. LoL i never wore mine to skool..oops.

butterflylr
3rd December 2004, 04:52 PM
That's absolutely great! Glad to hear he's doing really well with it! :-)

Abbi
3rd December 2004, 06:09 PM
Thats so amazing......!!! Well done Ryan! he seems like he is taking all in his stride! Im glad that he isnt being teased cos of it, and that people are interested. I think if ryan would have been about 13 he would get teased....all depends on the type of people in the school.....but there is nasty people everywhere.
All the best with boris

Ryansmum
3rd December 2004, 06:16 PM
yeah the major step will be when he goes to high school in it but he'll have had a couple of years by then to get used to it and working on some fast one liners I hope! His brother will be in the top year too which always helps on any bullying probs!Also the school he'll go up to is quite popular with parents from our primary school so it'll be likely loads of his friends will go with him :niceone: Ryans so used to his 2 brothers tormenting him it'll be a piece of cake LOL Thats the thing with having 3 boys he's a little tough nut really even though he's got a soft centre ;-)

Amazed Jean
3rd December 2004, 07:46 PM
That's great that the other kids support him. I'm sure he'll do fine but do remember that scoliosis sufferers tend to guard their feelings and spend some private time with him just checking that all is well - it only takes one loud mouth brat to say one ugly thing. I didn't have a brace but I did have some supportive friends but every once in awhile some idiot would just make a slight comment and crush me for days. I knew they were being jerks but it still hurt.

Joy
7th December 2004, 05:42 PM
How old is Ryan again? It's great that's he's adjusting so well!

Ryansmum
7th December 2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Joy :D Thanks so far so good! Ryan is 9 (soon to be ten on boxing day) :D he's just put Boris back on for another stint before his bath..we're off to get the pads fitted tomorrow so hoping we get some more pics of his curves I think someone said they xray them in the brace to see if it helps??

Joy
7th December 2004, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't know... I didn't wear a brace as my curve was too severe by the time I got to a surgeon. Edit: sorry, a bit aprupt. It does make sense though.

andrea
7th December 2004, 09:31 PM
Yes, it would make sense - just so that they can see how much improved the curve is in the brace. I know it's a bit different, but Erin is xrayed both in and out of her cast when she goes for a cast change. I hate seeing the one of her out of the cast as it's so severe for such a small body. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good xrays.