PDA

View Full Version : Yay we have the MRI date through..

Ryansmum
1st December 2004, 04:53 PM
:party: At last we have the appointment for the 15th (good job I phoned to pester them as the letter's been 'waylaid') We get to see the orthapaedic surgeon two weeks after that again so at least we'll have a clearer plan of action and find out if we are facing any other problems! Ryan had physio today to learn his exercises and that went well but not sure if I'm getting paranoid or if it was the way she made him stand his curves looked far worse to me?? We are having xrays next week when the pads are fitted to the brace so I'm going to ask for one out of the brace as well as in if they dont suggest it first as I'm a bit concerned..The 'breaking in' is going so well bless him he's up to 2 hours with no trouble (crossing fingers,legs and everything else I can find to cross!!)We are doing a 2 hour stint in school on friday at the physio's suggestion as he'll be wearing it full time after xmas in school so we need to find out any problems before they break up for xmas hols..Tell you what tho..I'm so glad I found this site as the one sided sheet about scoli the hospital gave me today was no help at all god help any parents who go into there without any backup help! I told her about the scoliosis assoc over here so hopefully she will update their info..fast :idea: Also the orthotist is going to help with his foot problems,both feet are now affected whereas when we saw the surgeon on the 3rd of nov only one was :woe: They aren't going to knock him out for the mri so this should be fun seeing as he totally freaks if anything goes within a foot of his face..

Crazy16girl
1st December 2004, 05:20 PM
Ohh, its good news you have a date through. I remember having my one...i was in there for a hour and 20 mins, they let you listen to music, either there choice or take one of his cd's in with him (well...i was allowed, not sure if yours mentioned it...)

Ryansmum
1st December 2004, 05:34 PM
yes I'm going to try find him something he'd like was thinking maybe a story one as he's a right bookworm,I dont think he'd appreciate my Linkin Park ones blaring in his earholes :oops: ..mind you I'd be ok then :D

lindzi_11
1st December 2004, 05:45 PM
YAY! Happy 2 hear you have a date =)

sins
1st December 2004, 06:37 PM
It's good that the Mri is set for the 15 th.If you don't mind me asking how exactly are his feet affected.I remember you saying something about the way he walked?
Try to show him what the mri scanner looks like and just make sure he knows about the noise.I think it's that aspect that will scare him the most if he's not expecting it.You might be able to sell it to him as a supertech gadget that can see inside his body by creating a magnetic field.
http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheets/ptmrisca.htm

try that link for ryan.it's basic and he should be able to understand it well enough.
Sins

Abbi
1st December 2004, 06:39 PM
That is so awesome,I hope it goes well, and Ryan isnt too scared. I also hope that wearing the brace gets better!
I am not sure a story would be good,unless you read it to him, cos your not allowed to move, or so I have been told (I should be having my MRI along with my pre op tests in March)
Hope it goes well. Praying for you both!

I got a small leaflet from my surgeon, about scoliosis, and what it was, the types and a website, which was Scoliosis association uk www.sauk.org.uk (I think)

Ryansmum
1st December 2004, 07:08 PM
Sins, the Orthapaedic Surgeon said he had thinning to the bones on his left side which has caused him to have a dropped right foot as he staggers around onto that one.When I showed the physio what he meant she said his left foots like it too :???: We never noticed it before it only seemed to be the other one..and the surgeon ckecked and never spotted it then She measured his legs and they are the same length but now he has no arch on either foot?? Surely he would not progress so fast? I'm trying to input as much info on here as possible so it hopefully helps someone along the line after us :-)

elvinwarrior
1st December 2004, 11:18 PM
Congrats for getting a date!!! When I was supposed to have my MRI they called and said the magnets weren't working. Fortunately they got me in the next day. The MRI took about an hour, and I didn't get to do anything. Not even listen to music. Ryansmum, you listen to Linkin Park?!? Wow, my parents would NEVER.

Ryansmum
2nd December 2004, 01:31 AM
:glee: Yeah I had Kerrang on one night and heard this song which I just had to have...took me weeks to find out what it was and I was hooked on them LOL..the song was 'In the end' so I bought all their albums :D I do have a soft spot for Rasmus too..Many years ago I was a huge fan(and still am) of a group called the Smiths :-o and Morrissey is recording again at last so thats just about made my year :clap: My eldest is a tad embarassed by his mums taste in music tho..especially as my housework cd's are usually Gwen Stefani or Avril Lavigne LOL..full blast with the hoover and duster in tow :shock: a scary sight indeed....

Marti
2nd December 2004, 02:22 AM
I think a book on tape would be a great idea! don't get one that's too funny though, becuase I know I'd start laughing and whoops! they'd have toi start over again. But htat'll make the time pass quickly for him.

Amazed Jean
2nd December 2004, 07:38 AM
Be sure to tell him about the noise. I nearly jumped put of my skin. It was cold in there and very claustrophobic for me but I talked to myself and went over the different childhood rhymes etc. I wish I had thought to take music or perhaps someone who would just sit there so I knew I could get out if I asked. Ryan will do well if he knows what's going to happen.

jfkimberly
2nd December 2004, 08:09 AM
Yes, the noise! Ohmigosh. I had to have my first MRI (that I was old enough to remember, anyway) almost 3 years ago, exactly... I had just started my "real" job after completing school, and I didn't want to take a sick day within a week of starting the job, so I arranged to go in after work for the test. I asked the technician if it would be alright if I fell asleep. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Uhh... sure. If you think you can sleep, go ahead... just try not to move." When the noise started, I nearly convulsed with restrained laughter (which would have botched some images). I understood what her look was all about.

Ryansmum
2nd December 2004, 09:59 AM
Right think we'll take a music one and a story one too to be safe we're off to the shops on Saturday for a 'special' trip to find something suitable :D I'll just make sure its loud ;-) I showed him the link you sent sins so he knows what it all looks like now and what it does so its just a case of keeping our fingers crossed he won't freak out! David has just got a new job in the post office so he can be home with us a bit more (he'll be finishing at 1pm instead of 8 or 9!) and he starts there the week of the scan so he can come with us..He's pretty good at calming Ryan down too so thats a result :niceone: They do give them a 'panic button' to take in with them so he can press that if he really can't take it.I asked if they were knocking him out (which is what I asked for ) but he said they wont do it to kids???All we can do now is wait and hope he'll be able to handle it,we do have such an advantage though by knowing you guys as you've all been there before and can tell us what to expect 8) Thanks so much for all the tips :squeeze:

sins
2nd December 2004, 02:00 PM
I had a drop foot during my scoliosis treatment but it recovered Dee.
Basically I was on Halo traction which put a lot of pressure on the spinal column and I suffered a neurological injury at L5/S1.The nerves at that level control the hallicus extensor muscles which keep the arch flexed.
When he has his MRI scan make sure to mention it to them about the drop foot and they can run the scan all the way to the end of his spine and check for anything like that.Does he have any pain in his leg?
Sins

andrea
2nd December 2004, 02:15 PM
Great news about the date, and it's not long to wait. Erin has to be knocked out for her MRI as it just wouldn't have been possible to ask a 2 year old to be still for that long, especially with the noise.

Can I ask how come they aren't allowed to have any metal on them at all, yet patients can take walkmans in with them? I would have thought the magnets would have a detrimental effect on them.

Hope it all goes well for Ryan Dee, I'll keep everything crossed for you.

Ryansmum
2nd December 2004, 02:35 PM
I was trying to work that out too Andrea :???: I'm not sure if you just take the cd's and they play them for you through speakers or if you take the whole thing cd player etc?? Can someone tell me please :oops: Sins I am hoping his feet will correct themselves too as I think its all to do with the scoli and his awful posture because of it,he has to stand a certain way to hold himself up!! Thankfully Ryan *touching everything wood I can find* has had no real pain so far anywhere :D the worst he's had is the backache while in his brace after a while..he doesn't moan about anything which is not always a good thing for example he came down the stairs when he was 5,rushing to get to a friends party,broke his collarbone and still wanted to go to the party as he said he was fine :-o it was only the fact we persisted and took him to a&e that we found anything was wrong!He was terrified of hospitals/doctors at one time (he was seriously ill when he was 3 and we nearly lost him) but thankfully he seems to be over all that now and actually loves going to his appointments I think the fact he's coping with it all so well helps me such a lot too..

andrea
2nd December 2004, 03:23 PM
Bless him, he sounds like he's had an eventful life and he's only little. I was looking at his pic in the gallery - such a sweetie, although he wouldn't like me saying that - do you know what his curves are yet? I think I keep asking this, so sorry for that. Memory like a sieve, but being a mum you might relate to that :D

Ryansmum
2nd December 2004, 03:34 PM
LOL I have a memory like a waste disposal unit! Especially at the moment with all these appointments,xmas and his birthday! Michaels had 3 this week too + one tomorrow, we actually got a more detailed diagnosis on him as well so he might get his statement at long last..3 years down the line :nut: His problems are all neurological(brain functions etc) they reckon now but thats another looooong story :D Last time I asked Andrew (orthotist) and he said the main one is over 50 degrees nigh on 60 the other two are compensatory not sure how much they measure yet but hoping to have his full statistics wednesday when we have more xrays.He'll be glowing soon with all these tests LOL..Is Erin looking forward to the party and meeting Father Christmas?? I'd love to come and meet you all but afraid I'll be too knackered by then with all this running round in circles! :nutter:

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 03:42 PM
Can you not sit in eith him....I have heard of some parents sitting in to comfort them...but then again I dont really know much about MRIs and that.....hope it goes well.
Is it really loud? cos I will be having one too....**eek**

Tweety Pie
2nd December 2004, 03:49 PM
When I had my MRI I took a CD with me and they put the music on.

Also they were able to talk to me whilst I lay there.

All the best to Ryan.

andrea
2nd December 2004, 03:50 PM
Don't worry Abbi - they give you earplugs I think!

Dee - Erin loves a party, but has no idea of timings, so I haven't told her yet. If I did, I'd have to put up with her thinking it was every day until then, and I can't face that. She has no concept of a week or two. Erin has loads of x-rays,so Ryan can join the x-ray club. I worry that she has too many, but then again, I'd probably worry what the curve was doing if she didn't! No pleasing me.

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 03:51 PM
Thats good...how long does it last? Its around 40mins isnt it.....man i would be soooooo bored!!! lol!
Does the noise go on through the whole scan?

titch
2nd December 2004, 05:07 PM
At Stanmore, they put the CD in a machine in with the techs, and there's headphones that are able to go in the tube with you - the cord is very thick, and quite inflexible, so I guess it is heavily shielded so that it won't affect the scan.

They describe the noise made by the machine as "knocking" - I don't think that's how I'd describe most of it, but then again it's such a unique sound that I'm not really sure how to describe it. The actual noise made varies at different parts of the scan, some of it is sort of honking noises, and other bits are a rattly sort of knocking. There's various breaks as they change to a new type of scan as well - different types of scan reveal different things, so there's several passes.

BlueIce
2nd December 2004, 05:15 PM
it takes that long? Mine was done in a few minutes :roll:

Jonny
2nd December 2004, 06:36 PM
Unfortunately the machine I was in at Stanmore Titch only had one channel of the headphones working, and it was drowned out by the knocking :-P I would call it knocking I think.
They were going to do mine in one part, but they had an emergency so they scanned my top half, did the emergency and scanned the bottom half. It gave me an hour's breather between the two halves.

There's every chance they'll play a CD you bring :-)

Liv
2nd December 2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by BlueIce@Dec 2 2004, 05:15 PM
it takes that long? Mine was done in a few minutes :roll:
I think you had a CT scan. ;-) An MRI takes about 30 minutes and makes a lot of noise. Knocking and vrooming. :-?

BlueIce
2nd December 2004, 07:38 PM
ah I see :-) No MRI then, I just had to lay down and a round thing moved over me.

Liv
2nd December 2004, 08:30 PM
Yup. That's a CT! :-D

jfkimberly
2nd December 2004, 11:13 PM
You can't have any metal in there. You just bring the CD, and they play it through their system.

On a slightly related note, I saw an episode of Mythbusters (a Discovery Channel series) where they were checking out a myth about tattoo inks that contain trace amounts of metal (iron, maybe?), and whether the MRI could cause the tattoo to "explode." The newer inks don't do it, but they brought in a plastic case containing some old ink like they used in the 60s and 70s, and the box lurched all around the inside of the MRI tube... they're really lucky the box didn't break with all the banging around it did. That could have destroyed the machine (or been an awful mess to clean up). Of course, they didn't use human tests.

elvinwarrior
3rd December 2004, 12:58 AM
My MRI took an hour.

Ryansmum
3rd December 2004, 12:31 PM
the letter finally got here and they reckon he'll be in there for around 30 minutes..fingers crossed he'll cope ok and they have already booked us in with Mr Churchill (orth surgeon) again for the 5th of Jan 05 for his results so thats the biggie!!! We will finally get some answers as to whats going on in his little bod :D

Abbi
3rd December 2004, 12:48 PM
Awwww thats wonderful news, I expect that you will be getting more xrays to have ryans curve measured and that....what is his current curve measurement?

andrea
3rd December 2004, 03:13 PM
Going by how he's coping with the brace, I'm sure he'll do just fine. Glad to hear you've got an appt to run through the results too - it's so reassuring when you get an appt with the big cheese. I love seeing Mr Taylor, just because he's the boss and I trust him implicitly (perhaps too much!).

Abbi - I think Dee said Ryan's main curve was around 50-60 degrees (hope you don't mind me answering for you Dee).

Crazy16girl
3rd December 2004, 03:33 PM
I had to have 2 MRI scans, each 40 mins long...they let me out to sit up for 2 minutes inbetween which wasn't too bad.

I forgot to take my cd with me so i listened to some of there stuff....

Hanson, take that, aqua...oh the joy. I almost fell asleep!

Abbi
3rd December 2004, 06:48 PM
Whats the difference between a CT and an MRI?

jfkimberly
4th December 2004, 08:59 AM
From Cancer Research UK (http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=2969)...

CT scan (CAT scan) is a type of X-ray that takes pictures from different angles. The pictures are fed into a computer and form a detailed picture of the inside of your body.

MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. This is another scan similar to a CT scan, but uses magnetism to build up a picture instead of X-rays.

Abbi
6th December 2004, 05:51 PM
aw thanks kim, I actually was on that site and took down info on it for my lung cancer project, which i started and didnt finish. I did stroke instead...pretty irrevelant point really......

butterflylr
6th December 2004, 10:38 PM
Do you always have an MRI when you go in for surgery? I've never had one so I'm just wondering...

Ryansmum
6th December 2004, 11:27 PM
Not sure if they always give you one for surgery,though I think they should as it gives them a better idea of whats happening.Ryan has a marked rotation and his doctor wants to know whats causing it as he said'its normally a sign of a problem within the bones if you have a rotation'..not sure how true this is but I'm happy he's having one so we get the full picture :D Does anyone know about rotations????

elvinwarrior
7th December 2004, 03:11 AM
I think you always have to have one. Not sure, though. Because with an MRI they can tell if you had some sort or injury that would have caused the scoliosis (i.e. something that would have stunted the growth plates, such as a fall of some sort) or if it's just 'normal' scoli. Not the best of explainations. :oops:

titch
7th December 2004, 11:32 AM
You don't have to have an MRI for surgery - a lot depends on whether they feel there's anything additional that they need to check for in your particular case. I had another MRI before my salvage surgery, because I was known to have a completely degenerated L2-3 disc, and degeneration in some of my neck discs, so they needed to be sure my bottom discs were good enough for supporting a long fusion - thankfully they were :D

In other cases, they want to check for syrinxes and or chiari malformation, or other things which can be involved in scoliosis in a minority of cases. If they are confident it's just a straightforward idiopathic curve (or know that it's part of another condition which is known and understood) they often don't need one as it won't inform the course of treatment.

Ryansmum
7th December 2004, 12:23 PM
just being inquisitive titch :oops: if discs degenerate do they have a replacement disc they put in like when they replace hips??

titch
7th December 2004, 01:45 PM
They're developing them, and they're finally offering them (in some places at least) to people who have more complex problems such as pre-existing fusion, or multiple level degeneration. A couple of members have had disc replacements - pikey had a cervical disc replaced (C5-6 or 6-7 as I recall), and hrod84 had I think her L4-5 lumbar disc replaced earlier this year. The last I remember hearing, she felt an awful lot better for having it done :-)

I think it'll be quite a while before they're anything like as routine as hip replacements though ;-)