PDA

View Full Version : worried about my sister

Abbi
1st December 2004, 03:18 PM
Hi, I think my sister may have scoliosis too....she and I are like twins, only she is 5years younger (not that, that has anything to do with it) its just now my mum checks all my little sisters backs, and one sister has like this part of her spine that sticks out and kinna looks thicker....i dunno if that makes sense....
also, her shoulders stick out a tiny bit....not when she bends over, just when she stands up a bit. and when i ask her to see her back, she is like uhhh u lesbian dnt touch me (ooo the maturity of a 12 year old)
so i dunno, I am going to keep looking at her back. I may get her to allow me to take a pic of it, to see what you guys think. Cos I don't want her to go through what I have had to.....or even to go through anything!

Ryansmum
1st December 2004, 10:22 PM
Hi Abbi :D might be best to get the docs to check her over? They did Michael yesterday at his paeds appointment after I told them anout Ryan..try not to worry (I know its easy to say that and totally not do it !!)

butterflylr
1st December 2004, 10:25 PM
You might just want to tell your mom that you are concerned and see if maybe she will take her to the doctor just to be sure. If she does have it, the earlier to catch it, the better!

Abbi
1st December 2004, 10:32 PM
My mum was the person to point it out....she checks my sisters backs, cos of my scoli...and she sed "see how her spine sticks out at the bottom"
If I can get her to co operate with me, I may get a picture for you guys. She doesnt like me looking at her back...or looking at her in general! I will maybe ask her if I can look at her back, or get my mum too....cos I just dont want her to go through any of this!
I know some people have small curves of 10 degrees and they don't go any further, so well i hope this is the case!

elvinwarrior
1st December 2004, 11:24 PM
My sister's got scoli, and that's how I found out about mine. Your sis should definately be checked.

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 12:33 AM
we r going watch her for a while..
is ur sisters scoliosis worse or better than urs. Has you sister had surgery or a brace?

lindzi_11
2nd December 2004, 01:42 AM
My sister sure doesn't have scoliosis. You can see her spine sticking out of her back all nice and straight if you know what I mean. But my mom still checks and checks to make sure.

Marti
2nd December 2004, 02:19 AM
I'd definitely have your gp check her back. I know they don't always know much about scoliosis, but he/she should be able to tell if she needs to be more closely examined. My siblings have been chekced really carefully for scoliosis ever since we found out I had it. They went to my last appt with me, becuase it looked like they had small curves. However, both turned out to be posture related, so they had some pt and are fine. I'd definitely look into it.

ivanleg
2nd December 2004, 02:41 PM
Abbi you definitely need to get your sister checked. Please try to get an appointment with your doctor. It's no big deal getting a check up and if she does have scoliosis then the earlier it's detected the better.
Look how bad your curves were before you even knew about it. You can't let that happen again.

BlueIce
2nd December 2004, 03:04 PM
I'm just gonna echo what everyone else has said. There's no harm in checking up on her, so take her with you to the next appointment, just to make sure. The earlier you notice it, the better.

andrea
2nd December 2004, 03:18 PM
Abbi, if there's one regret in my life it's that I didn't take Erin to the doctor when I first noticed her curves. If I had, her future would be looking rosier. I always said that if I could ever help someone else to take their child to the doctor earlier than they would have normally done, then Erin's scoliosis would not have been in vain.

Ok, I know I sound a bit dramatic, but I feel really strongly about this. Please take her to the GP, if only to get the all clear. Don't watch and wait something potentially getting worse.

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 03:25 PM
well i will talk to my mum about it....cos i dunno if it is a curve or not. I will ask her to see if she will allow me to take a picture or pictures of her back....then you guys can help me decide. I know I def. do not want her to have big curves like me and have to get a brace or surgery!
Thanks for your replies...I didnt no if i was just being too over protective of her. My mum actually pointed it out. But I worry far too much, its prob. nothing. But I will see if she wants to get it checked out!

sins
2nd December 2004, 04:00 PM
I dunno if it's worthwhile getting a picture taken of her back and posting it here.Even though I know what scoliosis is I'm very unsure about my own kid's backs and only a doctor could accurately diagnose the problem.If it's a mild curve you'd actually have to take an x ray to be 100% certain.Chances are if you try to take a picture of her back and put it on a website I'd bet that she'd attempt to take your head off :-D
Little sisters can be an aggressive species.
However it's a good idea to get your mother to make a gp appointment and whether little Miss likes it or not,to land her into the doctor for an assessment and ask for a referral for x ray.It's the only way to be sure Abbi.Knowing your mother, she's well capable of getting the job done in double quick time.
Sins

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 04:56 PM
oh yesh.....my mother is great!!! she Rocks! I dont want to waste the GPs time tho....case its nuthing!
Thats one reason I didnt go sooner....cos I just thought it was back pain, then I went and search for reasons of back pain, and all this stuff came up inc. scoliosis and cancer...and i was like flip what if it is cancer...so i was scared to go, but it wasnt cancer of course...it was scoliosis!
I dont want to seem like i am being a hypocondrac (SP???)

BlueIce
2nd December 2004, 05:12 PM
do you notice anything when she bends over? that's how my scoliosis was discovered

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 05:30 PM
when she bends over she has this little bit at the bottom of her spine that sticks out a little...and looks...well not normal! he shoulders stick out a little bit

Liv
2nd December 2004, 07:09 PM
Both her shoulders stick out or just one side?

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 10:50 PM
i dunno.....

Abbi
2nd December 2004, 11:00 PM
.....I think it is just one side, I sed to my mum, to take her to the GP and she was like hmm.....so i dunno!!
When I was talking to my mum about it,.....my other sister....not the sister that may have scoli but another one, was like uuhhh spastic....thats all u talk about...!!! grr she is so annoyn!

Jonny
3rd December 2004, 12:03 AM
You have to take her, Abbi, simple. If it's not scoliosis it's worth being looked at anyway.

Amazed Jean
3rd December 2004, 01:02 AM
Hello Abbi. Can you please hear this--Get the Kid to a Doctor! If you have to take her kicking and screaming. She'll get over being pissed. This isn't some little benign disease that makes you break out and itch - this is MAJOR life altering stuff. It will probably be nothing and all this angst will have been for nothing.

elvinwarrior
3rd December 2004, 01:31 AM
Abbi: My sister's scoli is better than mine; she's got curves of about 20 degrees.

Abbi
3rd December 2004, 01:12 PM
ok ok....I will take her to the Doctor Already.....geeeeez!!!! lol! I will see if I can make her and I both and app. cos I need to get some pain meds...or somthing! And I want a referal to a physio!