PDA

View Full Version : Ankle injury affecting back pain

carolad
9th October 2009, 12:07 PM
I think this is amazing, so I just wanted to share it with you lovely people :)

Some of you will know that I've been seeing an incredible physio for the past 6 months or so. Her approach is to treat the whole body, not just the bits that give me pain. The idea is that by sorting out problems in the rest of my body, it will put less strain on my twisted pelvis and damaged discs.

When I saw her this week, she noticed there was something odd going on with my right foot - the bones were all locked together (she was able to manipulate the bones on my left foot but the right one was just like a solid plate!) She did a bit more probing and then asked me if I had ever sprained my ankle. I had indeed sprained my ankle - about 15 years ago! It turns out that when I went over on my ankle, the bone was knocked very slightly out of alignment - not enough to cause me lasting ankle pain, but enough to affect the other bones of my foot.

Its obviously not the cause of my back pain, but she said that it would have been putting extra strain on my spine because my right foot wasn't able to cushion the impact when I walked.

She was able to put the ankle bone back in place, and taped it up to try to keep it there. And she has given me exercises to try to free up the bones in my foot.

I just find this fascinating - it is just incredible how everything is so closely linked together and how what you think of as a very minor problem in the body can end up having quite major impacts in another area.

I'm also continually amazed at what my physio is able to find - I'm convinced she has xray vision :D

Mustang Sal
9th October 2009, 06:00 PM
Wow, what a woman! I'm sooo glad you've found such a brilliant physio - she's clearly doing wonders for you, both physically and mentally (don't mean that in a patronising 'it's all in your head' way, just that you seem better able to deal with it all now, which is great!)

If she ever considers taking a working holiday to Norfolk, I live right next door to a holiday home... ;)

GillyG
9th October 2009, 08:14 PM
Amazing Carolad, why can't there be more like her around? ;)

bluestone
9th October 2009, 09:52 PM
Thats fantastic carolad, its great that you have found someone who really knows what shes doing.
If only people like her were available on the nhs!
Im sure more people would be willing to give physio a go.