PDA

View Full Version : ribs and coughing

Marti
30th November 2004, 05:00 AM
Mainly just a rant, but if anyone has had this happen, defintiely share!

I get coughs a lot. Right now I have a pretty bad one. Just a bit ago, I coughed really hard and all of a sudden the space where my rib was starting hurting like it hasn't since just after my surgery. I'm sure I just strained the muscle, after all, it is pretty sensitive since there's no bone over it. And I know coughing can hurt your ribs. The last time I had pneumonia my ribs hurt for over a month afterwards. I'm just worried that I will get pneumonia and then what will happen? These coughs are nothing like those that come with pneumonia.

I'm also worried about school tomorrow. My rib muscles are killing me, and that sort of makes my whole back hurt. and chairs at school are not very good for sore backs, as I'm sure we all know.

lindzi_11
30th November 2004, 05:12 AM
:squeeze: aww sorry to hear that. I don't have much to share except to get better soon. And aww the chairs at skool are VERY uncomfy i agree 100% there!

jfkimberly
30th November 2004, 05:25 AM
Lindzi, every time you post something, you've got a new avatar! It's positively dizzying.

Marti, ouch. Can you take tomorrow off to get some rest? It might help you to kick the cough faster, and it sounds like you could use it. I know the end of the term is coming up and you're probably really busy, but one day now might save you all of next week.

annie
30th November 2004, 09:36 AM
Hi Marti,

I know what you mean... :squeeze: My ribs usually hurt (like they did after surgery) when I'm coughing a lot - at least once every winter I get a cold that turns into a chest infection and causes discomfort and coughing especially at night time :woe:

I take multi vitamins + zinc and get regular flu jabs etc which helps to keep the colds away the rest of the time tho.

annie
30th November 2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Marti@Nov 30 2004, 04:00 AM
The last time I had pneumonia my ribs hurt for over a month afterwards. I'm just worried that I will get pneumonia and then what will happen? These coughs are nothing like those that come with pneumonia.

Have you been offered a pneumonia jab? I had one a couple of years ago which is apparently supposed to protect me against pneumonia for life.

jfkimberly
30th November 2004, 10:24 AM
Annie: I think they're recommending boosters on that every 10 years, now. I got it when I was a kid and it was still being tested, and I never got pneumonia again. My pulmonologist gave me a booster three years ago, just to be safe.

Kaja
30th November 2004, 12:43 PM
Aww :squeeze: My ribs hurt like hell when I got a cold a couple of months after surgery :-o It was awful, and I know how you must feel :-( I hope you get better soon!

Wow, am I the only one with a superrrrr comfy chair at school? :roll: I guess it's easier for me, since I'm always in the same classroom. Hm. It's quite funny, because whenever I'm away, they all fight to get my chair :P "It's MY turn!!" :joke: I would die if I had to sit on the normal plastic chairs :-o

Lindsay, your avatar makes me hungry!

sins
30th November 2004, 03:42 PM
it's easy to damage intercostal muscles during a coughing fit.here's the trick to loosen phleghm if it gets stuck.take a mucolytic cough syrup to break down the mucus.Don't give a hard cough from the ribs.Take a very deep breath,and go Huffff...like the big bad wolf blowing down the little pigs house.repeat this a few times.Then give a gentle cough and you'll clear your chest very easily.You'll know you're doing it right when you sound like the dog "Muttley" from the old dastardly and Muttley kids cartoons.
Sins

Abbi
30th November 2004, 05:22 PM
Awww **Abbi Hugs Marti** I hope your feeling better soon!
I get sore ribs sometimes too...in a particualr spot at the back!

Marti
1st December 2004, 12:08 AM
Sins, I tried that, but it just made me cough harder...

I'd LOVE to take the day off, but school's way too busy. Also, we're only allowed to have 8 absenses per semester or we NC the class (get no credit, have to take it again). And if I get pneumonia, god forbid, I'll probably use up at least 3 or 4 of the absenses... and I've already missed two or three days.

Pneumonia jab?! I didn't know there was such a thing! I've only had pneumonia twice, once in 6th grade and once in 8th, so it's not a huge deal for me. But if I ever get pneumonia again, I'll need to ask my doctor about that.

My back/ribs mostly felt better today, but by 7th period they were hurting aggain... I'm just countinng down the days till winter break when I can relax and sleep all the time.

jfkimberly
1st December 2004, 02:01 AM
The jab is to prevent pneumonia. Next time you're at your doctor's and well, you should ask about it. It's like getting a flu shot, only it's for pneumonia. They recommend elderly and people with chronic lung problems get it.

A Senior Citizen journal says:Also at high risk are post-operative patients, people with chronic illnesses such as lung disease, and those living in a nursing home or other chronic care facility. The American Lung Association and other experts are urging the pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine for these highest risk populations.

Isn't there some kind of exemption from the "less than 8 absences or No Credit" rule if you've got a doctor's note? How would people with chronic illness complete school? I was always able to get around attendance policies when I was in school, and that was even in Texas where they're pretty agressive about it (we had a truant officer come to our house at least once). I still had to keep up with the coursework, but that was never an issue for me. I just didn't always have the energy to physically go to school.

I might've been able to tolerate it better if I didn't go to a sprawling two-story highschool and I didn't have to change classes every hour, and my locker wasn't at the opposite end of the building from any of my classes so I either had to walk from one end of school to the other in 5 minutes, or I had to carry too many books with me... Ugh, highschool was hard, wasn't it?

Kaja, you don't have to change classes?

M.Magudulela
1st December 2004, 12:37 PM
My pulmonologist suggested I get pnueumovax and I got it two weeks ago. He said I must get it every 5years.

Abbi
1st December 2004, 03:45 PM
whats that.....?? is it kinna like the Flu jab?

Kaja
1st December 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Dec 1 2004, 02:01 AM
Kaja, you don't have to change classes?
The system is a lot different here. Um, I'm always in one class, with the same people (there are two or three in each grade, called a, b or c. I'm in 10c). We have one classroom that we're always using (each class has their own), except for some science classes, PE, music and arts & crafts. So I almost never swap classrooms :D It's kind of hard to explain, but you get the idea? :P I like it that way, and I looove my chair 8)

Marti
2nd December 2004, 02:36 AM
Kim, I figured that it was to prevent pneumonia. I just don't like getting shots, and it seems pointless if I'll never get pneumonia again.

They won't actually NC you if you have more than eight absences, but it's really stressful. You have to keep doing all your work in the class, even though you've NCed it. And during the week before or the week of finals (I don't remember which) you have to go to an appeal, where you tell them why you missed school. So they wouldn't actually NC you if you were sick, but it would add a lot of stress.

jfkimberly
2nd December 2004, 07:15 AM
If you get frequent coughs, it might be good for you. And it's only once every five or ten years. I think you can manage that... can't you? It's better than worrying about each cough you catch progressing to pneumonia.

Ah, there is an appeal. That's reasonable. But, yeah, I can see why it would be one more burden to add to your load.

Amazed Jean
2nd December 2004, 07:48 AM
My absolute cough killer is to have a cup of hot lemonade and then get in the hot shower and let the shower really beat down on my chest and back. We have a massage shower head so it 's really hard impact so I'd say to cover your nibbies but let it really hit on the rest of your chest. As long and as hot as you can stand it is best. It helps liquify the stuff that feels like slime on your throat and chest. If that doesn't work I call the doctor.

Marti
3rd December 2004, 03:03 AM
Well, my cough is certainly getting better! I definitely did something to my missing rib though, becuase it still hurts some. But it should be better soon and *knock on wood* my cough should be better my my speech tournament on saturday.