PDA

View Full Version : College???

XxSaraharaSxX
26th September 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi, I'm Sarah. I'm 17 years old, and I got my brace about 6-7 months ago, when I was 16. My 6month followup was yesterday, and everything seems to be going well.

However, I'm still not done growing, and my doctor said I'll probably be done growing and out of the brace a year from now. My issue is, by that time, I will be in college.

Does anyone have any advice for wearing a brace in college? I'm really, really scared.

greenhouse12
26th September 2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Sarah !!

Well its great your appointment went well and you will be out of the brace by next year.You must be really happy with all the positive news.

Try not worry about college and your brace , i would recommend arriving at classes 5 minutes earlier or later to avoid large crowds.
Is your anxiety more about people knowing about your brace or damaging it ?

Sorry not much advice , im quite tired at the moment!
Best of luck
x

Rodsrme
26th September 2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Sarah!
Well that is good new that you most likely will be able to get rid of your brace here in a year or so! :D

Regarding college. Agree with Irishgirl on coming in a little bit earlier. I don't know if you wear it outside your clothes or you hide it. I wore mine openly to the public. :D
I wouldn't worry about it. If people ask, take that opertunity to talk about scoliosis, and share your experiance. You will be surprised how many people have no clue about it. lol
Not much advice...but wishing you the best of luck! :D

tonibunny
26th September 2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Sarah,

Do you wear your brace to school at the moment? If so, is there anything particular about wearing it to college that is worrying you?

Toni xx

concerned dad
27th September 2009, 10:48 PM
However, I'm still not done growing, and my doctor said I'll probably be done growing and out of the brace a year from now. My issue is, by that time, I will be in college.

Sarah, if you dont mind me asking, how did your doctor determine that you still had another year of growth remaining? Was it based on Risser sign or some similar indicator of skeletal maturity?

We were told that our daughter was essentially skeletally mature (at age 15 1/2) based on a hand xray. That seemed to jibe with what the SRS says:
"Since scoliosis gets larger during rapid growth, the potential for growth is evaluated taking into consideration the patient's age, the status of whether females have had their first menstrual period, as well as radiographic parameters. In general, girls grow until 14 years of age, while boys grow until 16 years of age. Girls grow very rapidly until their first menstrual period, and then their growth generally slows down, but they continue to grow until 18 months to 2 years after their first menstrual period."
Your situation seems somewhat unique. I wish you the best of luck.