PDA

View Full Version : Appointment through

andrea
28th November 2004, 09:53 PM
Hi all

Seeing as you were all so supportive after Erin's last check-up, I thought I'd let you know that a date has arrived for her next cast change. Does anyone remember me saying I didn't want it just before Christmas?? Well, guess when it is...21 December! I'm not ungrateful, I'm glad it's before Christmas as they said it would be, but it just means a difficult week. Still, we can cope with that. They've actually called her in at 7am on the Tuesday, when she normally has her new cast put on on the Tuesday, so I'll call them tomorrow to check. Perhaps they'll take it off and put it back on in one day? Who knows!?

Anyway, I'm glad to have a date through, so we'll keep our fingers crossed for a good correction.

Andrea
x

sins
28th November 2004, 09:56 PM
Good old NHS. :-D
In spite of it being Christmas week I guess you have to take it.I'm still surprised that they haven't tried to fit you in a bit earlier due to her growing so quickly in the cast.Good luck with it and good luck wiith the Christmas traffic in London.
Sins

lindzi_11
28th November 2004, 09:58 PM
YaY! Happy to hear you have a date! And my fingers are crossed but i'm sure theres gonna be a great correction! :D :squeeze:

ps.. ur daughter is soooo cute in that pic!

Abbi
28th November 2004, 11:25 PM
Hi Andrea, I am so glad that you got an appointment date for Erins cast to be changed, but it does suck a lot being 4days before christmas, but that will be one less thing to worry about after christmas!
I hope that it goes well, and they can get it done in one day, so that you won't be too stressed out, with last min christmas shoppn!

I will be praying for you both, that it goes well.
Yeah Erin is a little sweetheart in that pic!

Abbi x

Little~shedevil~dee
29th November 2004, 01:28 AM
Good luck for you and erin
my appoiment is this coming thursday i didnt know how close it was untill my b/f told me last night lol

also erin looks so cute in that pic

tonibunny
29th November 2004, 11:47 AM
Aw, I'm sorry to hear this Andrea. We'll try to cheer you both up on Saturday afternoon (party day!)....I can now confirm that Santa Claus is making a special visit to my flat just to see Erin! :joke:

Ryansmum
29th November 2004, 11:49 AM
Hi Andrea & Erin :D great you got the appointment through before christmas but its a bit of a pain being so close eh? Does Erin take a while to settle into her new cast? Hopefully it'll give you a few days to settle down before xmas day so you can all still enjoy it :squeeze: Here's hoping you the get the best xmas pressie with some :niceone: good news on her curves

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
29th November 2004, 12:18 PM
:niceone: Good luck for Erin's casting - at least you have a date now, and can go ahead with plans.
I expect she will have other things on her mind over the festive season, so I wouldn't worry too much about her settleing in her new cast.
Hopefully you might be able to get it all done in one day.
Thinking of you both, and best of luck! :squeeze:

Becky
29th November 2004, 12:45 PM
Last year I was given an appointment for 24th December for x-rays, but I didnt want it because I would be too busy, and my scoli didnt seem too bad then so I got another for late January, the hospital then cancelled that untill May and thats when I found out that my scoli was worse, so I wish id taken that appointment!!

Glad to hear you have an appointment andrea and erin!

Blair
29th November 2004, 03:45 PM
Bad stuff tends to congregate around the holidays in my family....

Last year I was released from the hospital from my surgery five days before Christmas.

Three years ago, my gram had a quadruple bypass two days before Christmas Eve.

Six years ago, my aunt was really sick in the hospital with a bad reaction to a medication she was taking for the holdays.

My grandfather has been in the hospital for cardiac problems four times (that I can remember) on Christmas eve...

Best wishes for you and Erin at the appointment!

Abbi
29th November 2004, 07:33 PM
wow Blair...thats pretty werid....I dont think I have had any appointments near to Christmas, apart from a dentist appointment on 20th Dec.
Has anyone been in hospital over Christmas? That would suck bug time!

Ryansmum
29th November 2004, 11:03 PM
:oops: well I managed to stay home for the big party xmas day but the year I had Ryan my waters broke first thing boxing day so I spent a rather weird day in hospital then...I only saw 2 nurses the whole day and managed to get home the next morning are they really that short staffed at xmas I wonder or was it just because he was my second they left me all alone :-?

elvinwarrior
30th November 2004, 02:04 AM
Well, I was born on Christmas eve, I don't know if that counts... My parents just postponed Christmas for a while 'till I came home. The doctors thought something was wrong with me so they kept me in the hospital for a while.

jfkimberly
30th November 2004, 04:42 AM
Two years ago, my grandmother was hospitalized right before Christmas for congestive heart failure. She died last year on December 19th. It wasn't the happiest time for us, but we all saw it coming and had a chance to prepare for it. And she was ready.

On the plus side, it caused our extended family to all get together for the funeral, which was nice.... And that gave my immediate family an opportunity to come together to devise a way to get rid of the Houseguests Who Wouldn't Leave. To make a long story short, we pooled the money that we planned to spend on gifts for one another and paid the "guests" to leave. After they were gone, we opened a bottle of fizzly and toasted their departure.
:lol:

Abbi
30th November 2004, 05:30 PM
Im sorry to hear that Kim. This year will be a hard christmas, cos it will be the first Christmas that we wont be going to our grannies house (our grandfather died in April)

Joy
30th November 2004, 09:43 PM
What guests Kim?

Andrea, that does make for a busy week, but at least it is out of the way for Christmas! I had my surgery hanging over me the Christmas before last which wasn't much fun. But having appointments Christmas week sucks, you just want to spend time with your family.

andrea
30th November 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys (and thanks for saying she's cute - she can be when she wants to be). Erin hasn't had problems in the past with her cast and settling in, but she's only gone through it twice, so it's too early to say she's always fine. I never take it for granted. They're going to do it all in one day, starting at 7am. It's going to be a long one, but I'm glad there'll be no overnight stay and she won't be left overnight with no cast as you know the mare we went through last time. I am just so hoping for a good correction - the best Christmas present there could ever be. Stuff the bread bin :D

Toni - Father Christmas eh? She is so into FC it's great. I was thinking of taking a present along to the hospital for when she comes round, so it's like a pressie from Stanmore, so she doesn't think it's a bad place. Hopefully they'll have some decorations up too. If not, I'll donate some for future use.

Blair - sorry to hear Christmas holds bad memories for you. Hopefully this year it will be different.

Kim - hmm, what guests? Sounds interesting.

Can't wait to meet you guys on the 18th. I presume details will follow (emailed rather than posted on a website for all to see - I don't mean you lot)?

Marti
30th November 2004, 11:59 PM
yes Kim, do tell!

Andrea-although it'll make those few days more stressful, you'll probably be more relaxed on Christmas, since it'll be over. Good luck!

jfkimberly
1st December 2004, 01:36 AM
My mom's sister's family is a bit... obnoxious. And they don't watch after the children. So it was my aunt (Peggy), her husband-exhusband-husband (Ed), my cousin (Greg), his ex-wife (Amy), and their five children (I couldn't begin to name them). They arrived a day before the funeral, and were supposed to leave the day after, but there was something to do with a paycheck advance that my aunt was having overnighted to our house so they could pay for their drive home to West Texas. After four days, the check hadn't appeared, and we began to wonder if there was a check. When we realized that they were low on funds and that's why they hadn't left yet, we just gave them more than enough money to get home and pay for Christmas dinner. And then we toasted their taillights and went out for brunch, promising to forward the check to my aunt's home when it arrived. We never saw it, and she never called to ask for it.

It took us days to sort out our house. We had fruit snacks and cracker crumbs all over the house.

Abbi
1st December 2004, 02:33 PM
Andrea - Im sure they wouyld have decorations up....cos they have the tree up in the hospital in my town....but its very scabby looking! That seems like a good idea, to give her a pressie....so cute!! Hope it all goes well.....x

Ryansmum
21st December 2004, 11:44 AM
Hi Andrea hope Erins appointment goes well today!XX

Little~shedevil~dee
21st December 2004, 12:04 PM
Goodluck to Erin

sins
21st December 2004, 01:01 PM
Best of luck Andrea,hope it's good news.
Sins

andrea
21st December 2004, 08:02 PM
Thanks for thinking of us guys and wishing us luck. It's been a very long day, but we're home now. She had the cast cut off and then had a bath and pretty much had the new one put on straight away. The curve still managed to collapse into a severe one though, just in that short while. The jacket she's in now is A LOT tighter than the old one and has much less padding, so she looks quite skinny in it. It also comes down very low at the back and front and has a tiny tummy hole. We'll see how she gets on in it. We had an xray taken, but the SHO didn't have his cobbometer (sp?) thing with him so couldn't measure it. We'll call him tomorrow to see what the result is. Just looking at the xrays, I don't think it's improved at all between the last one and this one, but I'm still hoping for too much I think.

It was the ward's Christmas party today and santa came (second time in a week) and gave all the children presents and they played games, so she had fun with that.

They want us back in 6 weeks to change it as they're worried about a pressure sore she has on her back. And incidentally, there was an 8 year old girl on the ward having her first cast applied - I didn't realise they did it at that age!

Ryansmum
21st December 2004, 08:29 PM
Glad to hear all went well with the change and wow Santa twice in one week :jump: that was good timing :D

sins
21st December 2004, 09:28 PM
How is she coping with the tighter cast andrea?As long as the curve holds it's not so bad.Each patient can respond differently to the casting and the doctors seem to be altering their technique in response to her needs.This still makes me feel optimistic and a more frequent change might be the thing to make a dramatic improvement.
Sins

tonibunny
21st December 2004, 09:40 PM
Ooh, glad to hear it all went well today Andrea! I used to stay in Stanmore for a couple of nights for each cast change, even without having a genereal anaesthetic, so it's good to hear that they can get children in and out on the same day now. I had plaster casts right up until my first fusion when I was ten - although I had Milwaukee braces too, usually in the summer, as they were cooler to wear in the hot weather. I hope Erin's comfy in this new cast - it might be comfier even though it's so tight, as there's less chance of it rubbing.

That Santa's a busy chap isn't he? :joke:

andrea
21st December 2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks chaps. She seems to be coping ok with the cast. When she got out of the car coming home she said her back hurt, but it may be just uncomfortable temporarily. I think the first thing I need to worry about is getting her toilet trained, as there is bound to be an accident with the way it is at the mo. Although because the cast comes down so low she can't sit on a potty, so she'll have to go straight on to the toilet. Any advice mums out there??

I asked the registrar today whether there would come a point where Erin would be able to tolerate the casting without a GA, but he said by then she would either be straight, or we would have resorted to alternative methods. He said we would look at it in about 12 months time, although that seems too early to me to be thinking about surgery, even if the cast only holds the curve, I'd rather stick with it.

tonibunny
21st December 2004, 11:02 PM
Andrea, it might help you to know that they had worked out pretty early on that I would need surgery, and when. I guess they are good at predicting stuff like this - so I doubt it means that they'd be looking to operate on Erin immediately.

Way back at the beginning of 1981, when I was five, my notes say "would need a fusion aged 9 or 10". They were right - I had my first fusion at 10.

By the way, my top curve was almost exactly the same measurement as Erin's, when I was her age....casts and braces held it between 62 and 64 degrees from when I was 12 months old until I was nine. These measurements are of my "natural" spine, taken without wearing the braces or casts.

I also had a lumbar curve that progressed from 32 originally to 60 degrees by the time of my fusion, but they obviously thought it was safe to leave that one as I didn't have it fused until I was 18.

Abbi
21st December 2004, 11:20 PM
Thats great that it went well! I hope that the curve has improved tho!
If Erin needed surgery for it...what type would it be,.....is it like a growing rod system?

Ryansmum
21st December 2004, 11:27 PM
Andrea,Ryans back aches sometimes when he's in his brace in the car..wondering if thats what she meant rather than it hurt??I take his beancushion out with us now so hes comfy ;-) the only trouble is if they're all in the car they moan he squashes them LOL......With the toilet training I do sympathise tho I have no tips to help sadly..we had real probs the first time Ryan wanted to go while in his brace :oops: he normally wears boxers but has found normal pants more comfy since he's had Boris but boy what a polaver...between us trying to get his pants down without taking off the brace and then trying to get them back up :oops: in the end I just took it off and put it back on after :-o which I know isnt an option for the nappies with you..I'll try to think of something off to put my thinking cap on.........

andrea
22nd December 2004, 10:11 AM
It's definitely going to be tricky - she can't even reach her knickers to take them down, so it will be assisted visits to the toilet for a long while to come I think. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get round it somehow.

Abbi, I'm not sure what sort of surgery they would do and I'm not going to ask. They won't let me think like that and I had the xrays confiscated yesterday for making assumptions based on what they "looked" like.

Toni - sorry I didnt reply to your message last night. I'd fallen asleep on the sofa and didn't come round until too late. Erin slept all night until 8.30 this morning, so I guess she's not in too much pain! There is absolutely no room for growth outwards with this one, but I guess that's the point. If I could just make her grow a couple of inches there'd be more room for her spine to be straight. Your comments did help - thanks.

newgirl
22nd December 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Andrea,
Haven't been on for a while, glad to see that Erin's cast change went well and fingers crossed that the curve has improved.
I am afraid I have no pearls of wisdom regarding the toilet training, but could be in the same situation in a few months myself.
Despite getting very positive results in July from the ortho who felt the curve was improving by itself, he was much less reassuring at our last appointment a couple of weeks ago. Whilst her curve is remaining quite stable at approx 30-35 deg, her ribs are growing asymetrically and he feels that she may need to be casted in the spring :( .
By the way I saw you had posted a pic of Erin's back out of cast in the gallery, and surprisingly enough i would say Niamh's curve looks a lot more severe, but probably because of the way her ribs are growing .
Have a lovely Christmas
N