PDA

View Full Version : thoracoplasty

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
26th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Can any of you tell me if Sarah's rib hump will be reduced when she has her operation, or will she need a seperate operation to reduce the rib hump that is so prominent now?
She has become so aware of her appearance lately, and she no longer wears tighter fitting clothes. To be honest you can really notice the difference. Her hump seems to have progressed over the last couple of months, and she feels quite distressed about wearing certain clothes.

annie
26th November 2004, 11:57 AM
Hi,

Is Sarah having a thoracoplasy? If so, then the rib hump should be reduced, but the amount of correction very much depends on individual circumstances.

There was a separate thoracoplasty thread which showed some pictures of Toni who now has a very impressive result from her surgeries.

:spin:

annie
26th November 2004, 12:01 PM
This is the link to the page with the pics (hope it works!):

thoracoplasty thread (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=748&st=60)

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
26th November 2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks Annie -
The surgeon hasn't said she was having a thoracoplasty, but I was wondering if it would be necessary if the fusion doesn't reduce the hump?. Her operation is going to be posterior.
Wow - I Just saw Toni's correction - it's fantastic!!

annie
26th November 2004, 01:47 PM
I had a posterior thoracic fusion when I was 11. I had vertebrae rotation and a rib hump, although it wasn't until after my surgery that the rub hump became more prominent (adolescent growth spurt I guess). I had a costoplasty to reduce the rib hump at 17 which was partially successful ( I still had a reduced hump and still do - I'm 39 now).

I know that surgery has much improved since my childhood / adolescence, so I think Sarah can definitely expect a better result than I got (just look at Toni ! :niceone: ).

How old is Sarah now?

sins
26th November 2004, 01:50 PM
Hopefully the surgery will reduce the rib hump significantly.I'm not sure if I'd put a 12 year old through a thoracoplasty unless it was very necessary.I haven't had one myself but it does seem far more painful than the fusion surgery itself.You don't have to make a decision until the last minute so try and discuss it with your consultant or during your pre op tests.Linzi had a good correction and didn't need a thoracoplasty and seems happy with the result and Jenn didn't have one and did well with just fusion alone.When you're in with her for her pre op tests the best people to ask are the nurses who look after the patients after the surgery and they'll be able to tell you how the younger kids cope with it.
Sins

annie
26th November 2004, 02:13 PM
I agree with Sins, if Sarah's 12 at the moment she still has growing to do. If a good correction can be achieved with the fusion, and the fusion's robust enough to stop the curve progressing then she should never need any further surgery.

Good luck!! :squeeze: I'll keep my fingers crossed for her :spin:

BlueIce
26th November 2004, 02:26 PM
I didn't have the thoracoplasty and my rib hump has been reduced a bit. It's still visible, but I feel like it's a little less worse. I'm sure my new (good) posture has something to do with it too though. I'm not sure if I have a good pic of me showing my hump before surgery, I'll look for it later so you can see the difference

Jonny
26th November 2004, 03:52 PM
My advice - leave it till later. It's more painful than the fusion and there's absolutely no rush. You might not even want it done if Sarah gets a really good correction.

There's always the chance the surgeon'll do it in theatre without telling you he's going to... :roll: although they do know what's right.

Abbi
26th November 2004, 04:41 PM
I am not sure.,....~I hope it does, cos my rib hump is bad too....its on my gallery...!!

lindzi_11
26th November 2004, 05:36 PM
See I had ear surgery 3 years ago because lol believe it or not my left ear isn't real lol i when I born it wasn't deformed properly. So when I was like 2,3,4,5 years old they did some stuff on it and 3 years ago they fixed it again. They had to take some cartlidge from my ribs. Therefore my ribs are small. Now i didn't know that at the time when I got asked if I wanted to do thoracplasty. I just decided not to go with thoracplasty because I wanted LESSSSSS pain as possible and also If it realllly totally bothered me I'd just get it done another time. Because like the surgery pain is very painful, and I assume moving ribs is VERY painful so thats why I didn't go with it.

Sarahs Mum aka Chrissy
26th November 2004, 05:42 PM
Taken on board all your good advice as always.
When she does have it done (the fusion), hopefully the correction will be good and there will be no need for a thoracoplasty.
Thanks again for all the help.

lindzi_11
26th November 2004, 05:49 PM
Also the docter said not many girls do it anyways... but no problem anytime =)! Glad you made a decision!

Abbi
26th November 2004, 11:50 PM
I think i may have it...cos i just hate my ribs so much!! :(

Little~shedevil~dee
26th November 2004, 11:54 PM
i hate my rib hump , it causes so much pain and its hard to wear a bra as its allways digging in to my hump :cry:
some times its so bad i can hardly breath

butterflylr
27th November 2004, 09:31 AM
I just have to wiggle my bra around all the time cause it's built for a straight body! Haha! Not the bendy, twisty type like I have! :D

Little~shedevil~dee
27th November 2004, 01:02 PM
me to lol i hate it when my bra keeps moving and i have to pull it back to right place , not nice when your out shopping lol

Jonny
27th November 2004, 06:52 PM
Lindsay... did they take sections from your ribs before or after your scoliosis started to develop? :-?

lindzi_11
27th November 2004, 07:04 PM
Before my scoliosis started.