PDA

View Full Version : N.Ireland waiting lists.....

Abbi
25th November 2004, 04:39 PM
Guys....this was in the news today....about waiting lists for surgeries.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4040313.stm

Northern Ireland has about 6,800 people waiting for over 12mths to have surgery which isnt life threatening. England only has 600 people waiting over 12mths and Scotland has no one waiting over 12mths!

**Packs her bags to move to Scotland**

Abbi
26th November 2004, 12:09 AM
ok well wasnt that an interesting topic!!! *looks around for any possible person to reply....but finds none*

Liv
26th November 2004, 07:50 AM
But you're the only North-Irish one on this forum.. ;-) It's awful though!

jfkimberly
26th November 2004, 10:28 AM
Whoa. That's shocking, Abbi! How long did your doctor say your wait would be?

Abbi
26th November 2004, 04:30 PM
um....well 12 - 18mths.....its cos there is only two surgeons in N.Ireland!
my surgery should be around October 2005 or if i am at uni May/June 2006!

BarmyArmy
26th November 2004, 04:37 PM
You can move up here anytime you like Abbi :D

Abbi
26th November 2004, 04:49 PM
cool cool!!!!.....lol!!!But i do like my surgeon....he is nice. very to the point but i suppose thats a good thing...i mean when he sed you need surgery i knew i really needed it....he can be quite blunt at times i have heard!

titch
26th November 2004, 07:15 PM
I meant to reply to this yesterday and didn't get that far - sorry!

I know it doesn't help you, but here in England we routinely have adults waiting 18-30 months for scoliosis surgery, and kids waiting 12-26 months, so I don't think it's much better here :(. With figures that divergent I'm sure it is worse in Northern Ireland, but I just cannot believe there are as few as 600 people in England waiting over 12 months for non-life threatening surgery - they have to have done some dubious number crunching to work that one out. I loathe how they're achieving most of the reductions as well - the whole process for my father of getting his heart bypass kept being systems of being on a waiting list to get on the waiting list - so his actual wait time was double what goes into the official figures. Bizarrely, the only reason he's still with us is that he was lucky enough to have a heart attack. Yup, lucky - if he hadn't had it, he'd likely have been kept waiting long enough to go into congestive heart failure, at which point they'd have refused to do the bypass on grounds it was too dangerous.

Having said all that, there is a massive case of post code lottery going on, and it's disgusting that there can be such a huge difference from one area to the next.

Abbi
26th November 2004, 11:36 PM
Yeah the Government suck big time!!!!

Kaja
27th November 2004, 12:05 AM
:-o :-o
WHOA, that's a long time :-( I waited 2 months, but my surgeon was ready for me after less than a month (I wanted my vacation.. :P ) That sucks. You're welcome to move up here too ;-)