PDA

View Full Version : Why i am unhappy or sceptical about spinecor

mark
22nd August 2009, 08:21 PM
After reading Concerned Dads post on the positive aspects of spinecor and the very interesting and valid points he brings up i have decided to start an alternative thread on members views and experiences with the spinecor brace that may be slightly different (note different and not negative)

I know it has been effective and lots of kids benefit from it but i think Concerned Dads thoughts are very interesting and he does bring up a number of interesting points in his post which i shall replicate here (hope you don't mind Concerned Dad) i just found your post very thought provoking

Concerned Dad's post

QUOTE "For balance, someone should post a thread entitled why I am NOT happy with the Spinecor.

I am not ready to do so yet, but may soon. But let me just ask: Are there ANY forum participants who have successfully braced their child with the SpineCor through their major growth spurt? I asked this on the other forum and did not receive any positive responses.

It seems that there ARE many participants who were unsuccessful through the growth spurt.

I've read every single paper I could find on the SpineCor. They all make it sound promising but were mostly written by the inventors. Two, written by independent researchers were damning (Weiss and Wong).

No doubt, there are several folks here who have success with the SpineCor when used on young children. I fervently hope that they continue to enjoy success. It seems like a worthwhile thing to try for immature children. It may put them in a better position of starting their growth spurt with a reduced curve amplitude.

However, I would not give it a shot for a 12 year old Risser 0 kid with an advancing curve of say 25 degrees or above.

Just my 2 cents and just offering a contrary voice for balance.

And, my new mantra for those being treated with the SpineCor is "Get copies of your kids xrays and have them read by an independent physician"." END QUOTE

I hope this stimulates some interesting debate and ideas

mark

Concerned Dad, i hope you don't mind me hijacking your post
http://www.scoliosis-support.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Pancake
22nd August 2009, 08:43 PM
This part of CD's post is especially important and almost certainly explains why Spinecor's results published by the brace inventors are not believed by orthopedic surgeons...

CD - > "And, my new mantra for those being treated with the SpineCor is "Get copies of your kids xrays and have them read by an independent physician."

Maybe CD will explain what exactly happened to him and his daughter so as to make him think this way. He has explained this elsewhere and you can find it on NSF but I'll leave it to him to state it here.

I am seeing our surgeon soon. I will be very sure to mention this sordid episode that CD experienced. I suspect he won't be surprised in the least.

mark
22nd August 2009, 08:56 PM
To be honest, in my humble UNQUALIFIED opinion bracing seems to put of the inevitable, which unfortunately means surgery, i don't mean to or wish to put anyone of this long established form of treatment but to be honest i have been around scoliosis forums for a lot of years now and i can cry at reading how much effort, time and money people put into bracing and all it seems to do is prolong the inevitable

This is no way a negative post, its just one persons humble opinion

I wish everyone well on whatever journey they choose to take, i mean life is one long journey, who knows which is the right or wrong turn to take, all we can do is take it and hope for the best and i wish you all well and support you what ever turn you make i just can't get over the few success stories i read, although having said that every success story heartens me gladly and it brings joy to my heart.

Pancake
22nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
I wish everyone well on whatever treatment plan they choose to take and i wish you all well, i just can't get over the few success stories i read, although having said that every success story heartens me gladly

The problem is that there is no way to prove at present that the "success" story was due to the brace. What we have is a trainwreck in the brace literature due to lack of controlled studies.

mark
22nd August 2009, 09:15 PM
Alas Sharon

I have to agree with you, although i don't hold much truck with studies becasuse i think every and each spine is different and will do different things depending upon a lot of factors so i guess i am not the best at quoting studies because to be honest i think you can get what ever results you want prior to undertaking it (i do it all the time in my job) so i guess i am qualified in that respect (anyone can manipulate figures)

I'm just one of those honest humanists who cares about the person behind the study not the individual with an agenda who wants to peddle his or hers point of view. I care about those who are being studied and those who are quoted in those studies

mark

concerned dad
24th August 2009, 09:44 PM
Mark, Feel free to hijack my posts anytime :) I've done it my self on occasion.

I dont have much time to post but I wanted to set the record straight on a couple of misrepresentations of myself by Sealy in another thread.
She said
I find it odd how you and Pancake/Pooka take pleasure in bad mouthing Dr. Weiss on the NSF and go so far as to say that he belongs on the Quack Watch List and yet you include Dr. Weiss as a reputable/trustworthy doctor whose opinions should be trusted when it comes to refuting the Spinecor?????

Sealy, I never bad mouthed Dr Weiss. In fact, I was the one to bring to folks attention that indeed he was an orthopaedic surgeon in a thread that was discussing his credentials. I have always viewed his paper as a data point. When I decided to brace my daughter with the Spinecor I made it a point to be aware of ALL the info. both pro and con.

Sealy went on to say
The only shams around here are those who have no experience with the Spinecor brace or bracing for that matter and try to discourage parents. I have seen a few posts where you or Pancake have encouraged parents to give vertebral stapling a try. Kind of odd don't you think?

I do have experience with the SpineCor brace. My daughter was treated in Montreal. I poured myself into the literature on bracing in general and the SpineCor in particular. I am NOT trying to discourage parents. I am trying to provide balance and information for parents of newly diagnosed kids. It is a very complex issue as I am sure you understand. Our experience with the SpineCor was VERY negative. So negative that it casts serious doubts in my mind about the veracity of their published literature.

I never "encouraged parents to give VBS a try". I know next to nothing about VBS.

I am not trying to start an argument. That was not my intent in my other posting either and it is a shame that things spiraled out of hand. I just want to set the record straight here on the above misrepresentations of myself.

Sealy
24th August 2009, 11:18 PM
My apologies Concerned Dad! I rarely log onto the NSF anymore and when I do it's to get Spinecor updates. I recall your post from the Braist Study thread on this forum and hence my conjecture of guilty by association.

I too was concerned about the Weiss study and I wrote to Dr. Weiss last year. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with your story or experience with the Spinecor. How old was your daughter when she was diagnosed with scoliosis? What degree curvature did she have at diagnosis and how long has she been wearing the Spinecor brace?

Simon
24th August 2009, 11:32 PM
My apologies Concerned Dad! I rarely log onto the NSF anymore and when I do it's to get Spinecor updates. I recall your post from the Braist Study thread on this forum and hence my conjecture of guilty by association.

I too was concerned about the Weiss study and I wrote to Dr. Weiss last year. Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with your story or experience with the Spinecor. How old was your daughter when she was diagnosed with scoliosis? What degree curvature did she have at diagnosis and how long has she been wearing the Spinecor brace?

Dr. Weiss is quak and he make my nipples inward when i see his studys ... just for u pancake

Pancake
25th August 2009, 02:09 AM
Dr. Weiss is quak and he make my nipples inward when i see his studys ... just for u pancake

Simon, you may never know how much I needed that just now.

The other shoe has fallen with my unfused daughter. Not surprising but still disconcerting to say the least. When your identical twin required fusion, it can't be that shocking. She took it so well because she was mentally prepared. The best part was that her twin happened to come to that appointment because we had to get school supplies afterward. Very cool that they could be together today after the shoe feel.

1,000 thank yous for your comment which is EXACTLY what I needed. :)

sharon

tonibunny
25th August 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Chaps,

I have deleted a couple of comments, one from Sharon and one from Sealy. We know you don't agree with each other - that's fine. Please agree to disagree, I really don't want this thread to descend into bickering as well!

Toni xx

Pancake
31st August 2009, 11:03 PM
I recall your post from the Braist Study thread on this forum and hence my conjecture of guilty by association.

So CD is "guilty by association" for honestly acknowledging facts about the bracing literature? :boggle:

I guess he's guilty of being too factual. Some folks clearly don't want facts and that is a fact. :ohdear:

titch
1st September 2009, 08:19 AM
STOP IT.

Thread locked.