PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Natalia
28th April 2004, 11:24 PM
Hi! Im new here, after reading a couple of posts I decided to join, so I guess I'll make an introduction so you can get to know me:
My name is Natalia, I'm from Argentina but living in Bolivia with my aunt since a couple of months ago, so if I say something that sounds weird when reading it, just don't pay attention its just me not knowing how to write properly in English.
I'm most likely going to USA in a couple of months (Is anybody here from Virginia?) to study.
So guess thats it for now, I hope to participate in this forum.

BarmyArmy
28th April 2004, 11:45 PM
Hi Natalia :welcome: Your English sounds fine to me :-) I hope you enjoy the site, it's great to have friends that understand how it really feels to have scoliosis. I love the fact that I have friends from all round world through this site, welcome to our family Natalia :-D

My name is Leona, I'm 28 and I live in Scotland. I have mild scoliosis with a curve in the lumbar region. I work part-time as a children's bookseller and I'm obsessed with chocolate and Ice Hockey.

When you go to the US what will you be studying Natalia?

If we write anything that you're not sure about then don't be afraid to ask, there is loads of people on here that use English as a second or third language so we don't mind helping out. :-) But I'm sure you'll be fine.

I hope to see you around the site. :wave:

DublinPauline
29th April 2004, 12:44 AM
Welcome to the site Natalia. Have you had surgery or other treatment for your scoliosis?

Jonny
29th April 2004, 01:17 AM
:wave:

LightningRod
29th April 2004, 01:20 AM
:welcome:

titch
29th April 2004, 01:27 AM
Hi Natalia! Welcome to the site :niceone:

Carly
29th April 2004, 01:54 AM
welcome!

Blair
29th April 2004, 03:43 AM
Hi!

Kayla
29th April 2004, 05:21 AM
Hi Natalia Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!

Marti
29th April 2004, 05:29 AM
Hey Natalia, :welcome:

I'm Marti (or Martha, as I go by in the real world since that's my name, but in cyberspace I'm Marti) and I'm 15. I live in Chicago, USA. I had surgery in July 03 for a 44 degree curve, which is now practically nothing. I hope you enjoy it here!

My grandparent's live in VA, but I won't be visiting them for another year or so, unless someone gets married, which, knowing my uncles, is highly unlikely.

jfkimberly
29th April 2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Natalia!

Welcome to SSO. What are you going to study in Virginia? Do you have family up there, or are you going to be on your own? Either way, it sounds really exciting.

Your English is perfect from what I can tell... and even if it wasn't perfect, you shouldn't worry about it. We'll just ask if we don't understand something.

Liv
29th April 2004, 08:53 AM
Hola Natalia! Qu tal?
I'm 21 and I'm from Belgium, so English isn't my first language either. I have scoliosis since I was 9 and I had surgery in 1999. I've got an Argentinian scoli-friend: she's 23 and lives in Rosario.
Welcome to SSO!!

sins
29th April 2004, 09:54 AM
Welcome Natalia, hope you like it here.

mark
29th April 2004, 10:24 AM
Hello Natalia you will really enjoy this site everyone is so warm and supportive and your English is just fine

Lieve
29th April 2004, 01:20 PM
Hola Natalia! :welcome:

floralgypsy
29th April 2004, 02:25 PM
Hello Natalia, my name is Charlotte and I am 19 from England. It would be great to hear a little more about you and your experience with scoliosis. Welcome to the site.

Kaja
29th April 2004, 02:54 PM
:welcome: You'll enjoy it here! I'm from Norway, so english is my second language too. It's ok to write and read, though it's not perfect at all! Your english seems great to me :-) I've had Scoliosis since I was 10/11, and I had surgery last year to correct a triple curve. I'm 14 now. Tell us more about yourself! :-D

BlueIce
29th April 2004, 07:41 PM
Hi there :wave:
I'm 19 from Belgium, and my english isn't perfect either, but that's no problem as long as we understand each other.
Hope you enjoy your stay over here :)

Natalia
29th April 2004, 10:26 PM
Hi again, wow, I never thought I would get so much replies, I feel really welcome here, you all seem like really nice people.
I'll try to asnwer to everyone.

Jonny, Lightning Rod, Titch, Carly, Blair, Kayla, Sins, Lieve Mark, Kaja, Blue Ice:
Hi to all of you too!! :wave:

BarmyArmy: I love chocolate too! But I've never seen a game of Ice Hockey, it must be fun. I'm going to finish high school (I'm fifteen) and after that I'll see if I can stay to do a career, I want to be a lawyer or anything regarding computers.

Marti: Tell me whenever you go to VA to visit your grandparents and maybe we could meet, I'm fifteen too.

jfkimberly: Once there I'll live with one of my aunts.

Liv: I never met anyone with scoliosis in Argentina, can't believe you did from Belgium! I was from Capital Federal, Bs As, (thats 300 km from Rosario)

Pauline. Floralgypsy and anyone else who asked about my scoliosis:
I first learn I had scoliosis when I was 10, I remember going to the hospital because I had done something wrong in gym and my back wouldn't stop hurting, they took and x-ray and said I had nothing except a light scoliosis.
I inmediately got scared by the weird word and ask what that was, the doctor explain it briefly to me and said it wasn't important because it was too light, and that I didn't had to do anything about it, he said it was common in most girls my age.
I told my father as soon as he got back from work and he didn't pay much attention to me either, he said he had scoliosis too and that it wasn't important so I stop thinking about it too.
A couple of years later, when I was 12 I went to my pediatrician in a routine appointment, she said everything was fine, me and my brother were saying good bye to her when she got a weird look in her face and ask me to go back, I went inside not knowing what was going on, she told me to stand stright I did, and she ask me to take my shirt off and touch my feet, she then told me I had scoliosis and to go to a traumalogist? (I'm not sure what's called in english) as soon as I can, I went a couple of days later and took and x-ray, he told me I needed braces?(It's a big plastic corset that has uncomfortable things inside), so a couple of weeks later I had it, it was the most horrible experience in my life, I used it untill I turned 15 but it didn't help much, in my first x-ray since the braces my curvature was 32 withouth the braces on and 26 with the braces on, in the last x-ray I took with my braces, the curvature was 39, so I guess braces were kind of useless in me.
After that my father lost his job and his insurance with it, so I stop going to the traumalogist when I was in my late 14, so when I turned 15 I just stop using the braces, after that, once I got to Bolivia, my aunt make me go to a couple of them and they say I'll need a surgery, because if the braces were useless why would I keep on using them? In the last x-ray they took me, it says I have a 42 degree curvature, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do, I really can't afford a surgery, they are just too expensive, does anyone know about an insurance in USA that will cover a surgery?, if you do, please tell me.
That was really long, sorry. :-D

And to everyone who comment in what I said about my english:
Thank you all, after today I'll feel like an expert in English, you really put my self esteem high.

julianne
30th April 2004, 12:18 AM
Your posts are much easier to read than you may think, it's not a problem at all! Welcome again, although I see everyone else has covered that as well.

I think a lot of doctors here wait until the curve is 50 degrees to operate, and since you're 15 you might be at the end of your growing, or near it anyway, which is a good thing. Good luck and keep us posted!

Liv
30th April 2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Natalia@Apr 29 2004, 09:26 PM
I never met anyone with scoliosis in Argentina, can't believe you did from Belgium!
Yeah, it's pretty amazing! I think she had her surgery in Buenos Aires. I'll ask her about it, but she's very busy with her studies at the moment... Otherwise I'd tell her to come over here!
42 degrees is indeed on the border for having surgery. And you can't possibly have the surgery in Bolivia? When are you going back to Argentina?

ivanleg
30th April 2004, 01:02 PM
Hola Natalia

I'm an Australian born to Slovenian parents who spent 10 years working with computers in England on an Italian passport. Your English is very good so I hope you understood that last sentence. If so, could you please explain it to me. ;-)

You said:
I used it untill I turned 15 but it didn't help much, in my first x-ray since the braces my curvature was 32 withouth the braces on and 26 with the braces on, in the last x-ray I took with my braces, the curvature was 39, so I guess braces were kind of useless in me

So this means your curves went from 32 (brace off) to 39 (brace on?) during your brace treatment? I would call that a big success!! The best a brace can do is slow down your curves, it won't correct them. My curves went from around 35 to almost 90 during the six years I wore my brace. Now that is what I call "useless".

I think your curves (42 degrees?) may not need surgery unless they get worse. Hopefully you have stopped growing - it's important that you keep getting your back checked. At the very least, ask your mother or someone to keep an eye on your back and see if it looks like it's getting worse.

best wishes
Ivan

Jessica*
30th April 2004, 02:12 PM
http://home.ripway.com/2003-6/12643/creations/welcome.gif
Hey Natalia and welcome!

Like everyone else has said, you're english is very good so there's no need to worry in that department. And I would also be repeating what Julianna said so I might as well post and say hello only otherwise I'd be a walking broken record.

Hmm, enjoy your stay here!

xx Jessica

Marti
1st May 2004, 12:13 AM
your english is just fine! Many people for whom english is their first language don't make as much sense as you! ;-) Where in VA will you be? I go to the very northern tip, almost in Washington D.C. when I go.

Our insurance paid for most of my surgery. But I think we have to pay for insurance. I don't really know though. My parents handle that stuff. If you're done growing you probably won't need surgery. Most likely a doctor will just watch your curve to see if anything happens.